Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #21
Lucern
Quintesson

Some great ones here.

Just to get it out of the way, Dawn of War is astounding, shockingly violent, darkly beautiful, and immerses you into exactly what you're about to get yourself into. It's the perfect intro to that game. Btw, I was unfamiliar with the Warhammer 40k universe, and I was shocked when I saw a chainsword being used on that Ork! ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz! *blood spatter on camera* Of all the ways Orks/Orcs die in fantasy games, none can be worse than that, except maybe when the Dreaddy picks them up hehe.

The music and images of a post-apocalyptic city in Fallout 2, followed by the classic mock-50's cartoon is brilliant.

For one that hasn't been mentioned, I really liked the intro to Mechwarrior 2. "Alpha, this is HQ, do you read me?" Brood War's intro was cool for some of the reasons Dawn of War's is, and NWN's was my favorite before Dawn of War came out.

I thought Steel Panther's WW2 footage was effective, as far as older games go.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #22
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I just remembered some more.
Both Freespace games had terrific intros, and the rest of the animations were just as good. I'll never forget the panic of the pilot in the original Freespace screaming "They're coming!"
Old 05-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #23
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
I just remembered some more.
Both Freespace games had terrific intros, and the rest of the animations were just as good. I'll never forget the panic of the pilot in the original Freespace screaming "They're coming!"
"They're here, oh god!" - "Scramble the fighters!"
Freespace I definately tops my list. Awesome intro, awesome game. Wing Commander IV also had some impressive cinimatics. The intro was great, but nothing beats the main engagement scene ("In case you didn't hear me ensign, full 180' now!") which also includes the St Helens jumping in to engage the Vesuvius.

[ 05-13-2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:27 AM   #24
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

(Console wise) God of War for the PS2 has, bar none, the BEST, and most impressive cut scenes out right now. I mean, the transition from in-game playing to a cutscene is without a flicker. And these are actual movies, not ingame scenes.

There's like a total of 1 hour of amazing cutscenes. And the game itself is freaking amazing too. Has boobies too! Rated M.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:28 AM   #25
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Dawn of War is a game I have never got round to playing. Must get it.

I like the WC3 cinematics, not necessarily the intro the best, but when Arthas steps down from the throne, that is a cool one.

Also, LotR:RotK is pretty cool where it merges in and out of cutscenes and gameplay.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #26
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

That merging technique exists since The Two Towers, atleast for LotR. I am pretty sure some other games had it. I can recall one game where there was a hand drawing the scene with a pencil, adn then the animation started in the game aengine, just can't remember what it was.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:34 AM   #27
Ilythiiri
The Magister

Total War series, Battle for Middle Earth. Final Fantasy X-2.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #28
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I did like Diablo IIs hmmm If I had to pick the best opening cinematic of any game, ever, though... Probably Dead or Alive Beach Volley Ball

MMORPG wise: I'd probably go with Earth and Beyonds space opera cinematic

I was gonna say the Guild Wars or FFXI cinema but both of those kind of sucked and followed the Never Winter Nights fomula.

Guild wars IN-GAME opening cinema sends shivers down my spine though.

"The last day dawns on the city of Ascalon"... *gets goosebumps*