Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-02-2002, 04:49 AM   #1
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Firstly, what the heck has been going on the past week or two? Have people actually been banned or suspended again? I come back here to IW and I feel as if something just happened and I missed it by a whisper, but everyone's still talking about it..

and Secondly..
How do you frequent travellers deal with homesickness? I think I might ask Yorick this question if he's around. I'm pretty alright when there's stuff to do but I'm feeling really homesick living in a boarding house on a different continent from my family and my friends. And being in a different timezone thats 3 hours faster from your home sorta makes sure that spending lots of time on the phone issint really an option either. So how do you guys deal with homesickness?
I've been feeling very blue lately, and while people have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and help me fit in I still long to go home. A part of me wishes I had never come here, never had to change, and a part of me wonders if I'll be the same when I go back, or if the world would have left me behind in the dust, or if I'd be so different that home no longer meant like home to me anymore. Any help would be appreciated, cause I guess all I really want to do is talk to someone..
Old 02-02-2002, 06:35 AM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Try AIM, ICQ or MSM - there are plenty of members here who use them and would be happy to chat I'm sure.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 02-02-2002, 06:45 AM   #3
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I've studied overseas before and the time difference was about 7-8 hours from home. Making sure that I called home in time before everyone went to bed or stayed awake waiting for my call became the order of the day

Whenever I felt homesick, I would tell myself that it was my decision to go abroad to further my studies, so the last thing I should do is to regret this decision. After all, it would be a waste of money and only bring unhappiness to myself as well as my family (if they suspected I was not happy). So, I concentrated on my studies and visited the new friends I made as often as I could, without making myself a nuisance [img]tongue.gif[/img] Worked out well enough for me
Old 02-02-2002, 06:50 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Yes, I would recomend u to get MSN.

as for whats been going on, Lionesses picture has been put up on IW, Istaron made a very offensive remark which I will not repeat here with regards to the picture.
250 made a thread with a word considered inaprpriate by Sazerac... he was asked to change it by both Saz and Cloudy, and asked to apologise to those offended. He refused, and has been suspended. This is the second time in not long, and according to Ziroc, if such a thing happens again he will be banned.

In light of these events, Ziroc made it possible to view the terms of service without having to logout and click register... there have also been some additions to them.
Also, alot of people have been rude or insulting to others over little things like their Sigs... (I admit... I was among these people).
And there were some people who were discussing pirated software... Ziroc has now made it clear to us that this sort of thing is not allowed, with one execption which is detailed in the TOS.

I think thats about it... others may be able to add more though.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:52 AM   #5
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
A part of me wishes I had never come here, never had to change, and a part of me wonders if I'll be the same when I go back, or if the world would have left me behind in the dust, or if I'd be so different that home no longer meant like home to me anymore. Any help would be appreciated, cause I guess all I really want to do is talk to someone..

As for whether things would remain unchanged if you stayed home instead, no one can really tell. In my case, my friendship with 4 schoolmates actually deepened after those years abroad, because I remained in close contact with them. The same went for family relationships.

Since you're already abroad, you might want to consider making the best of the situation. It'll be great if you can look back at this period of your life with fond memories years from now, don't you think?

Lastly... we don't really know each other that well, but if you want to talk to someone, I'm willing to listen. My email address is
acolsnobe@yahoo.com

Take care and all the best!
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]