Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2004, 08:42 PM   #41
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I made the mistake of not doing anything "special" on V-day during the first year of our marriage. I still get lectured by it.

This Saturday, she'll be getting an overly expensive box of Godiva Chocholates.
Oh man! Women and their extremely long selective memories. They never remember what you want them to remember (like when you did a good thing in their book) but always remember bad things. I remember when I was a kid before I had had a gf people used to tell me that and I thought they were joking but it is so true! With my last gf, once she got pissed off with me and I didn't even know why she was pissed off, so anyway, we were at a party and she decided to go home. I asked if she wanted me to walk her home (it was midnight or so but was only 10 mins away) she said no (cos she was in a mood) so I let her go. She never forgave me for not walking her home that night (!) and told her mum so I got in her mum's bad books as well! Damn! Anyway, slightly OT but just to show I feel ya pain
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #42
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, well, for starters, Vaskie, I'd say it means you just don't do cards. [img]smile.gif[/img] Gotta chuckle at the gf/walk home story... I'd have soooooooo see that happening when you didn't actually go with her... yah, it's a female thing, I guess!

I sometimes do a card if it's one I particularly like and think says something I want to convey (sometimes I'll make my own to get just the right sentiment) and sometimes Valentine's day is just a day to spend quality time with my sweetheart. I like giving a little something to my close family/friends...mainly as a reminder that I remember they're out there...sometimes I get so busy I don't touch base much. That can be a simple card or just a batch of cookies or poppyseed bread.

This year my fiance got some books on javascript and xtml....not exactly 'romantic' but as he said "I'm a computer geek, this is so perfect!" so I guess it was a good idea!
Old 02-13-2004, 04:22 AM   #43
Link
Jack Burton

I know what you mean Vaskez. The exact same thing happened to me (well.. almost) It was after a night at the rowing club when that specific girl (the one I mentioned earlier) went home, so I asked her: "Shall I walk along?" and she said "No, that's not necessary, I'll be OK." So I just though "Fine" and went back in to have a few beers with my friends. The next time both of us were having a drink at the rowing club, all of the sudden she starts talking about me 'how I always let girls walk off to go home all by themselves' (in front of all my friends [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img] ) and I was like "Say what?". Apparently a man should ask more than once for a girl to agree, and then you're not pushing it! Sheesh... talk about weird girlie-stuff!

EDIT: Yeah, Cloudy, she's pretty special to me. I can probably live with us being friends, but I would rather have her being something more than a friend to me. I'll keep ya updated

[ 02-13-2004, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Link ]
Old 02-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #44
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Good luck to you, Link!

My honey just came by my office with a present and a red rose. [img]graemlins/1luvu.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2004, 11:07 AM   #45
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I know what you mean Vaskez. The exact same thing happened to me (well.. almost)
You know, when this kind of thing happens, I tend to play the 'selective memory' card right back and claim that her first refusal to let me do whatever it was I asked was so cold and certain and definite it quite crushed my confidence. There's nothing like successfully stealing the sympathy vote.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:44 AM   #46
Epona
Zartan

I *ahem* take it all back.

I went to see a couple of bands last night with a group of mates and decided that I'd take a huge risk (not that I need valentine's day as an excuse, but thought it was as good a time as any) and tell a good male friend that I liked him as more than a friend. And it only bloody well worked!!!

It was all quite unexpected really (nothing like a bit of dutch courage) and I am over the moon [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT to add: Link, my advice to you is go for it. Yes it's a risk and it may not work out, but if you don't try you'll never know [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-15-2004, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 02-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #47
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL Laura.. maybe I've come to know you well or it was just a lucky guess, but when I saw that you had replied to this thread again I just KNEW, really knew, that you were going to take back what you said earlier because something nice had popped up.
Hope you had fun and it works out for you!! You go girl! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 AM   #48
Link
Jack Burton

Well, I would go for it and tell her, if only she was not so close to me in real life as well. The problem is that she's part of my rowing crew because she steers our boat every now and then (today too ) and if she says no, I don't want the crew to suffer from our 'broken' relationship. That's why I'm waiting.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #49
Epona
Zartan

LOL Melusine - you know me too well

Yeah I had a lot of fun, it was kind of surprising to end up snogging a mate and I had to keep double checking that I hadn't imagined the whole thing. [img]smile.gif[/img] He was as surprised as I was but judging by his grin I'd say he was just as pleased as me. But of course cos we were already friends we were both very relaxed in each others company.

It's funny, although I surprised myself at the time, I'd actually spent most of the evening prior to that working myself up into a bit of a state (and consequently drinking too much!) about whether I should say anything, then started to feel quite drunk so drew the conclusion that the moment had passed. It worked out quite well though, cos he got me some water and sat down with me in a quiet corner of the club to make sure I was OK, and the moment just happened to present itself perfectly as it turned out so it wasn't totally out of the blue since he already had his hand on my knee by that point I'd sobered up quite a bit by that point so I just said to him 'I've always really liked you' and he sort of ummed and ahhed nervously for a few seconds (seemed like hours tho!) and then kissed me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I may have gone a bit fluffy and lost my marbles but it seems as though the whole evening was destined to reach that point even though I'd managed to miss what I thought was my one chance earlier on. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-15-2004, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 02-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #50
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL! Go for it, Laura! I think it's sweet! And sounds like the timing was right, on top of you being comfy with each other.