Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-03-2001, 04:30 PM   #1
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

I never dual classed her in BG1 and I would never have even thought of it...

By the time I had reached "Tales of the Sword Coast" She was a Trap finding, Lock picking, Back Stabbing Goddess!!

Then I bought BG2 and the rest is history....

With so many good magicusers in the game why da hell did they have to screw Imoen up and why the new ugly picture? (whats up with all the piercings on all the NPC pictures BTW???)

Its all a load of BS if you ask me. I would never of thought of leaving her behind in BG1 but in BG2 she is nothing worth your while and more of a burden as an asset

.....just my 2 cents.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:41 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I think it sucked that she became a dual-classed mage/thief, she should have been multi-classed or a normal pure thief instead.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:56 PM   #3
Doxin1
Dungeon Master

I agree. The new portraits really suck compared to BGI. In BGII I'm just going to go with Yoshima and (regretably)forget about Imoen.

Old 10-03-2001, 04:58 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I still don't know why Imoen has purple hair, I can understand Dalis's green hair because he is a Tiefling, but Imoen is a human, and Mazzy's orange hair is a bit wierd looking too and what's with all the piercings? Edwin's nose piercing ruined his pic, they made him too fat too, they shoul have used his original BG1 pic, there he looked like a cool sorcerer, I usually use Edwin's BG1 pic for my Sorcerer.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-03-2001, 05:01 PM   #5
Lazarus
Manshoon

Yea cause yoshimo is more of a thief than Imoen. (that is if were talking about thieves here.

------------------
Lay down thine hammer,
friend, lay down
thine awl.
Thy yesteryear
trappings
are splintered and old.
Now rise up thine
mace and sword!
and thusly brandish!
The builder fuels those
who unite against
malice.

-Lazarus
Old 10-03-2001, 05:13 PM   #6
Istaron
Banned User

I understand what you are saying wurm. I feel as you do.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 10-03-2001, 05:19 PM   #7
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus:
Yea cause yoshimo is more of a thief than Imoen. (that is if were talking about thieves here.

He wouldn't be if they hadn't of screwed her over...did you play BG1? if so you didn't find a better thief in the whole game. Imoen ROCKED!! But now if you want her at the same skill level you have to use Shadowkeeper

[This message has been edited by Wurm (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-03-2001, 05:39 PM   #8
Tancred
White Dragon

Why did they make her a mage?

Because the Cowled Wizards aren't going to arrest a Thief, is why. Plot device.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:49 PM   #9
StarVid
Elminster

I agree. I mean, if they had to dual her, they should have waited a few more levels when she could really max out locks and traps, but unless I'm mistaken, there are actually no good thieves in the game. I mean, we know what happens to Yo, and Jan is multi so levels way too slow for a thief. After that, I don't think there's anyone, no? Now that I think of it, I have to revise my previous post (heading "is black isle trying to tell us something?") where I thought the best progression for a character starting at BG1 would be to be a cleric, and then dual over to a mage for BG2. Now I'm thinking a thief would be better for a PC for bg2. But then again, that screws you over because there are no good mages. I mean, what are the options, Jan (multi), Aerie (multi), Nalia (annoying), Imoen (not bad but you have to rescue her first), and Edwin (evil, won't work with a good party).

Here's what I think. I'm bringing in PnP elements into to this, but because this is using the rules from the PnP game, it's appropriate. If anyone has played PnP D&D, particularly 2nd ed. (I'd say 3rd, but I have no experience with it), adventures and campaigns generally had a target party that would work well with it. (i.e. 4-6 good aligned characters leveled 3-5 including a cleric and a mage). I think of BG less as a cRPG, and more as a single PnP adventure put on computer. The only thing is that the cRPG is less specific of party composition. What it is specific of though is party alignment. Cut it anyway you choose, this game is meant for good aligned characters. In a PnP adventure, not just a single character, but other characters would be the focus of the adventure as well. Sure, there are NPC quests, but there's maybe one or two early on, and that's that, all you have now is a non-essential (to the plot) NPC.

That's the reason why I like Jah and Imoen. Jah, being an old friend of Gorion, fits into the storyline. Imoen, and old friend from the keep, fits into the storyline. Minsc is nice, but I think they should have brought in someone like Hull (one of the Candlekeep guards) instead (after Candlekeep was overrun, he could have wanted to escape). There we have a thief, a druid, a fighter. The other NPCs should have also had some significance in the main character's life. Instead of being someone that joined up just for kicks.

I think I'm just rambling now so I'll shut up, but you get my point...
Old 10-03-2001, 07:35 PM   #10
crymson77
Manshoon

I dissagree. First of all, I think she is pretty hot in her new picture, and secondly I found her very useful. With a few magical items she can still pick any lock, and disarm almost any trap. Add al that to the fact that I finished TOB with her at level 24, I'd say she works just fine... Then again who the hell am I.