Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-29-2001, 04:15 PM   #1
Ranger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Question-
If I'm using a bow against a creature that requires +2 weapons or better "to hit", does that mean that my bow or my arrows must be +2 or better? Or both?

Thanks,
Ranger
Old 11-29-2001, 04:39 PM   #2
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

...as far as i know only your arrows are required to be +2...
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:51 PM   #3
Kaleban
Manshoon

If I'm not mistaken, I think he means what happens if you combine, say, a +3 Bow and a +2 Arrow? Will the arrow be able to hit a creature requiring +5 weapons? +3? Or +2 only due to the arrow itself?

I myself am very curious, as what would be the point of a +5 bow with normal arrows, you still would only be able to hit "normal" creatures.

If the "required-to-hit" bonus is based on the projectile, than only weapons that require no ammunition and which fire their own projectiles would be worth keeping or using. Say a +3 Bow which fires "phantom" arrows or some such nonsense...
Old 11-29-2001, 05:08 PM   #4
Ranger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks lord_gabriel, you helped out a bit. Let me try to be more specific:

I attack a creature that requires +2 or better weapons "to hit" (like some golum or something). Assuming that I actually hit the creature (given THACO and AC considerations), which of the following 3 situations will produce damage?

A) +2 Bow/Normal Arrow
B) Normal Bow/+2 Arrow
C) +2 Bow/+2 Arrow

Thanks a lot for your help everybody.

Ranger
Old 11-29-2001, 05:17 PM   #5
SherpaDoug
Dungeon Master

You get arrows of piercing early and they are supposed to be +5 to hit, but they don't seem to work against magic creatures.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:21 PM   #6
Sir Michael
Manshoon

The bow itself is not a weapon; it is just the launcher for the actual weapons - the arrows. Short of having a bow which generates its own arrows, here is how it works:

A magic bow may give bonuses to hit and/or damage, but normal arrows themselves are not considered magical, and so will not damage creatures only hit by magic weapons.

When magic arrows are used with a magic or non-magic bow, the bonuses (if applicable) stack, and any damage (e.g. fire arrows) also applies. If using +1 arrows, monsters susceptible to +1 (but not +2) weapons may be hit, and so on.

Note that I think that some arrows without specific bonuses to hit, like fire or cold or acid arrows, may also not be able to hit monsters which are only damaged by magic weapons, but I'm not sure.

Magic arrows are cheap and readily available, so why not keep a supply on hand to use against those monsters, whether or not you use a magic bow?
\"You see things; and you say \'Why?\' But I dream things that never were; and I say \'Why not?\'\"<br />-George Bernard Shaw<br /><br />\"Men take only their needs into consideration never their abilities.\"<br />-Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 11-29-2001, 06:37 PM   #7
Ranger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks a lot Sir Michael. That clears it up nicely.

Ranger
Old 11-29-2001, 06:42 PM   #8
Kaleban
Manshoon

So how the heck can an archer ever hit anything??? The highest +x enchantment is the +2 arrow right? I think the way the arrow of piercing is designed is that it gives that bonus but is not its actual "required-to-hit" number.

Then again, I could be wrong. So here's the question: How does an archer kill a Dragon, Kangaxx, ect., etc. with his Bow???
Old 11-29-2001, 08:24 PM   #9
andrewas
Harper

the archer kills things by using the best arrows he can find. in ToB there are +3s at least, i think +4 as well.

but i think his called shot ability improves it as well, never played one hto so i cant be shure.

short of decent arrows, he can always use his trusty dagger.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:55 PM   #10
Jim
Quintesson

quote:
So how the heck can an archer ever hit anything??? The highest +x enchantment is the +2 arrow right? I think the way the arrow of piercing is designed is that it gives that bonus but is not its actual "required-to-hit" number.
Then again, I could be wrong. So here's the question: How does an archer kill a Dragon, Kangaxx, ect., etc. with his Bow???

Archers can hit *anything* given the correct equipment. Right at the start of the game, I sent my solo archer to watchers keep to get the ammo belt and a quiver of unlimited +1 arrows and bolts. No more arrows! +1 arrows are sufficient to hit many of the larger creatures *including* dragons. Firkraag was dropped extremely quickly using a greater whirlwind attack, called shot and +1 ammo. Demi-liches can be hit by the sling of Everad, also, a grandmaster crossbow archer equiped with Firetooth +4 kicks serious butt and can hit all monsters.

Just to clear up the well made points in this post, the arrow is what actually hits the enemy therefore needs to be of suficient enchantment to cause damage. Enchanted launchers cause to hit/damage bonuses only and do not affect what can and cannot be hit. This is determined by the ammo only.