Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 05-10-2002, 10:51 PM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

can there be negative experience for killing something in combat? why you ask? just 'cause somebody/one is your enemy doesn't mean you should kill 'em.

[img]graemlins/monster1.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2002, 11:05 PM   #2
Warlock
Dungeon Master

Hi Manikus,

This sounds like a tough one!!! Well, my thoughts on it are that you could have a set number of a certain type of combantants - a sub-creature of the normal creatue like a Kobold, but call it Kobold|good or use the neutral opponent idea as discussed in another topic.

You would need some way to distinguish the creature from the others so you don't end up killing it - that would be the hardest part, maybe an asterisk or a plus sign next to their name or creature type (like +Kobold) - this could be toggled on and off when setting the encounter in the designer.

As for taking away experience points that could be easily done by modifying the events to allow for removing a certain amount of xp's - the only catch here is what happen's if it forces them to go down a level - maybe suffer the effects of a level draining or similar?

As said in the other topic on neutral combatants, this is a good idea but there is already a lot of stuff to be done at the moment.

Cheers

Warlock
Old 05-17-2002, 07:56 AM   #3
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

I believe the current code makes sure that experience points don't exceed the current level limits in either direction.

I think the GiveExperience event won't use negative numbers. I'm not sure what happens after combat if the monsters have negative experience. The character code allows exp pt removal, but there might be some checks before that which ignore exp pt totals less than 1.

Is giving negative exp pts something that should be allowed? I would still need to make sure the character stays within the limits of the current character level (at least until level drain is implemented).
Old 05-19-2002, 12:31 AM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

the main reason i was asking about this was that i want to be able to punish characters for chosing combat. it's kind of a philosophical thing for me- i don't think that just because you do something, that you should get rewarded experience points for it. and, also as the dm, i want to be able to say "that was the wrong thing to do". i know that i can do this with story, etc, but it would be nice to have an immediate definite action of recourse.

honestly, this is more musing than desiring a change to the way things work with dungeon craft. [img]smile.gif[/img] think of it as a "what if we could do this..."

btw, richard i greatly appreciate how much you put into this project. the fact that you take the time to read this board and answer posts is incredibly cool.

[img]graemlins/mage1.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2002, 12:22 PM   #5
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

The easiest way to subtract experience points is to allow the GiveExperience event to do it using a negative number. I could also put another flag on the Combat event that prevents all experience from Monster/NPCs from being given to the party.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

i like the idea of no experience being given, especially if it's easy to implement and to use. [img]smile.gif[/img]

speaking of combat, in frua there was an option that could be set so that the party never dies, has this been done in dungeon craft? if not, please add to the list i've been thinking of doing super-hero mod, and i would like it to be like the comic books where noone ever dies.

[img]graemlins/monster1.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2002, 07:56 PM   #7
The Old One
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have seen the (no one dies) option in the test module, but haven't looked to see if it is in main program.
The Old One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:18 PM   #8
Warlock
Dungeon Master

Hey guys,

Yes this was a part of FRUA as you could select it in the combat options when setting up the event.

I agree that it would be a good idea to include in Dungeoncraft.

Cheers

Warlock
Old 05-24-2002, 09:52 AM   #9
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

DC has this one already. Woo Hoo! I'm ahead of you guys for once!

The option is available on the Combat Event editor. If used, and the party dies, then each character will be restored to pre-Combat status (okay,dying,etc) with 1 hit point (if memory serves correctly).
Old 05-26-2002, 05:19 AM   #10
Steve McDonald
The Magister

Is it possible to chain to different events if the party loses? This was a big problem in unlimted adventures. What I'd like to be able to do is have an arena where you fight, and if you win you get a reward (say you get to meet the mayor who gives you his quest, or you get a quest item that tells the game you'll be fighting a tougher opponent next time you go to the arena). If you lose you will wake up with a headache in the town prison. Can you make chain options following a combat event dependent on "party wins", "party loses" and "party flees". Also, would it be possible to differentiate between "party flees" and "party was charmed"? - that really used to annoy me in the gold box games.
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote