Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #21
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

[quote]Originally posted by uss:
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
[qb]

Hungarians were treated like dirt? How? In Estonia, the discrimination problems are quite seldom, considering the past and everything. I think that making Estonian the only official language had good effects on the discrimination part, since the crowd will less and less likely be formed into 2 in different societies.

Well you know, moved around against their will for a start. They wanted to mix it up so not even a single county in Romania had a Hungarian majority which would have resulted in Hungarians getting into parliament. THe solution: move the Hungarians against their will to mix up the population. Well cos as you know, around 3/5 of current Romania used to belong to Hungary. Also, they disallowed Hungarian teaching in all but elementary schools etc. I'm not sure if there is even one Hungarian university left. Anyway, if Romania wants to get into the EU they REALLY have to work on the way they treat minorities.

I have heard lots and lots of stories of unfair treatment from Hungarians who have visited there. Whenever hungarians tried to have clubs for whatever reason, sport, music etc. the romanian police would brutally break it up saying the hungarians were trying to incite racial divide. So, in short, it's not like brutal discrimination and bad treatment (except for the moving around), but subtle, methodical squashing of the Hungarian culture.

On a side-note, what I find annoying is that many countries around Hungary have former major Hungarian cities as their "pride and joy". Like Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia is the Hungarian city of Pozsony. THe 2nd major city in Slovakia, Kosice, is actually the Hungarian city of Kassa. Cluj in romania is Kolozsvar, an old centre of Hungarian culture : this is where they have taken down or disallowed visitation to many historical hungarian cultural sites. Novi Sad in Serbia is Nagyszombat, another hungarian city. What's with nicking all our cities? [img]tongue.gif[/img] stupid world war 2 [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 04-06-2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-06-2004, 02:01 PM   #22
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
What's with nicking all our cities? [img]tongue.gif[/img] stupid world war 2 [img]tongue.gif[/img]
The treaty of Trianon after which Hungary lost 2/3's of its territory was actually after the first world war.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #23
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
quote:
What's with nicking all our cities? [img]tongue.gif[/img] stupid world war 2 [img]tongue.gif[/img]
The treaty of Trianon after which Hungary lost 2/3's of its territory was actually after the first world war. [/QUOTE]Don't you think I know that? Hungary got back a lot of the territory due to Hitler then lost it again after WW2. That's what I was referring to. If Hungary was on the winning side in WW2, it'd have most of its old territory.

[ 04-06-2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 04-06-2004, 03:35 PM   #24
dplax
Jack Burton

I guess it'd have even more than what it gained during the war, had it been on the winning side. But it suffered the fate of the losers. But the point of my post was, that our cities got nicked after WW1.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:44 PM   #25
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

ok, ok [img]tongue.gif[/img] they still got nicked though! Hehe, you know the political party MIéP in Hungary? They still think they'll get the old territories back! LOL.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:35 AM   #26
dplax
Jack Burton

Of course I know them, their leader isn't normal IMO. Thankfully they can't get the 5% necessary to get into parliament.

[ 04-07-2004, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: dplax ]

Old 04-07-2004, 01:12 PM   #27
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmmm, of course I don't agree with them being overly patriotic, i.e. possibly nationalistic but they ARE expressing what is deep down the wish of many hungarians - to get some of the old territories back. Although I have begun to wonder recently if that WOULD be good: I mean my cousin mentioned that if we got back Translyvania, yeah we'd get back 2 million Hungarians or so but 1.5 million extra gypsies as well! Plus a load of Romanians.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:24 PM   #28
dplax
Jack Burton

I don't know whether the majority of hungarians want the old territories back. And also, should we get them back, it would then be us who got minority problems.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #29
uss
20th Level Warrior

*ehem* Off-topic, are we now? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh well, you Hungarians and we Estonians are related by blood, so it's kind of interesting to read what you type.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #30
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
*ehem* Off-topic, are we now? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Just a bit...