Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

View Poll Results: Violence & Videogames
Yes 37 88.10%
No 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2004, 03:51 PM   #21
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
What about Bugs Bunny?
I can`t say wheter is this joke or not. But nevermind it is actually a good point. Tom and Jerry. We all know this cartoon. (A cat and mouse fighting each other)
This cartoon is then violent too. They are "hurting" each other with fire crackers,ironers,basball bats and God knows what.

So is it violent or it is "all in good fun" just becuase it is a cartoon for kids. If yes, then games are equal.

[ 04-13-2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 04-13-2004, 03:58 PM   #22
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I've heard that Tom and Jerry were banned in Sweden for quite some time. Or was it Finland? I know it's a northern country, just not sure.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:04 PM   #23
Nerull
Lord Ao

Lol...those who watch the Simpsons know about Itchy and Scratchy. The destroy each other repeated in extremely violent ways, all the time with the kids watching it laughing like crazy (and definitely a knock-off of Tom and Jerry). But the point is made with that one; they are definitely showing the level of violence in cartoons, and the way we just tolerate it. That is, except for the episode where Marge does something about it (go watch that one in the reruns; it really drives the point home about violence in media and the effect on children).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 04-14-2004, 12:06 PM   #24
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Hmm, like someone posted above here, why ban games if it increases violence if traffic in general does that much worse. I've seen a couple of newsthingies in which a man was stabbed or shot because of a traffic argument. Same goes for loads of other things.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:07 PM   #25
Jani
Dungeon Master

As people tend to do, most of you are thinking your own point of wiev with games. But YOU guys are adults or about to be one. Adults know how to react on TV violence and such. On the other hand kids donīt.

As known children takes their models of behaving pretty much from their parents. Violent parents causes violent offsprings and Ned Flanders have angels etc etc. And this is how itīs been throught the history.

Iīll take example from my home land Finland. 50% of marriages end in divorse. Most of the time leaving kids with less or no time with their father.
Same time money curreer and high education rises to "samurai-like" honor in all medias. Cause of that people donīt have time to have any childer. And when they finally do, they take their parenthood wacation (1 year) and go back to work. Again leaving children without parents.
Creaming on the top is school system which gives teacher no means to set limits for the kids while continuingly increasing class sizes.

Finally my point. Kids donīt have parents anymore. Same time video games are taking more and more of their free time. If a child doesnīt have a real role model or someone to listen for his/her issues who knows how they end up.

I donīt think that videogames caude violent anymore than any former media; but modern society does.

PS. Bugs Bunny isn`t banned in Finland
Old 04-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #26
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

People need space to grow, the world is getting crowded, people get ticked off.

Violence in games is an easy scapegoat.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #27
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Yet, the gamers pick on the AI to relieve stress..............confused? I am. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #28
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Studies show a NEGATIVE correletion between violent play and violent behaviour later in life. That is to say, kids that play "army" when they're young are less likely to be hoods or bank robbers when they grow up.

[ 04-15-2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 04-15-2004, 09:42 PM   #29
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

I fail to see this video game violence problem, I've been playing games that are excessively violent for the longest time... and I've never had a truly violent attitude... Fear the BlackDragon of power... I don't physically harm people, unless I'm brought to it by the constant nagging of them (which takes alotta effort) or something of the sort, I play games like grand theft auto 3, and vice city, I also play soul calibur II and tekken tag tournament, and other games of the such, none of which have caused an influence towards my attitude... the whole video game violence thing I believe all comes down to the parents... If your parents raise you right, you shouldn't be violent... that's my opinion towards the whole subject...
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 04-16-2004, 02:33 AM   #30
Ehrys
Manshoon

I still think it's not necessarily the cause of violence (T.V shows like Bugs Bunny, RoadRunner, etc.., or Video games) but maybe a form of "trigger" or at least a "desensitization tool," making the violent behaviour more receptive subconsciously or consciously and manifesting itself negatively in respects to societal conventions for those with unhealthy mental or emotional states of being.

And yes, you can quote me on that.

(Just for the record, I love violent Japanimation and cartoons, but I don't think I have been adversely affected by it... however in retrospect, in cases of extreme stress or anger, I do wish I could smeer people's bodies across 30 meters of hallway with a single thought like in Akira.)