Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

I have Lawson’s complete works on the bedside table. If I have nothing else to read or fancy a poem or two before sleep. He liked his beer ol' Lawson, deaf as a doorpost too. His poems became more popular after he died. He actually died a pauper though I believe they gave him a state funeral. To fund his beer he often recited poetry for free drinks, of course this is the days before Karaoke. It used to piss him off when the asked for one of 'Banjo' Patterson’s poems thinking it was one of his.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #12
Skippy1
Elminster

That must be a rather large bedside table there Wellard!

Interesting stuff about his life. I knew he wasn't very well off, but didn't realise he died a pauper. Any suggestions of a biography of him?
Old 04-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #13
Ehrys
Manshoon

Hmm... interesting. I'll come back with questions on words... there is a pattern here in relation to context so I'll try and follow as best as possible.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #14
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
That must be a rather large bedside table there Wellard!

Interesting stuff about his life. I knew he wasn't very well off, but didn't realise he died a pauper. Any suggestions of a biography of him?
Not really, its just two (very) large books in a box set. The first entitled 'A campfire yarn" complete works 1885-1900 and its twin 'A fantasy of man' complete works 1901- 1922. There are a couple more Steelman/Smith stories that follow on from the one posted.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years