Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2002, 06:21 AM   #1
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

There are just a few questions running through my mind that you old PnP guys can probably answer...

1) Why don't they sell better cleric weapons at temples? In my world this is where you should expect to find the best tools of the trade...

and...

2) Do you think that it hurts to be resurected? I mean I am sure that at least some degree of pain is involved in the dying part of the equation but there is still the being brought back part to think about...

and finally...

3) The game seems to go out of it's way to make sure that you know with which god the clerics/paladins are alligned with, yet if you go to a temple of that god you get no special tratment or no hostile treatment when you go to temples of other gods...

Like I said just curious really...
Old 12-27-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by I wish my name was Baggins:
1) Why don't they sell better cleric weapons at temples? In my world this is where you should expect to find the best tools of the trade...
Many of the temples in BG are dedicated to lawful, good, or protective deities (the Temple of Helm, Garl Glittergold in the FAI, The sirine one outside Beregost, etc. the good one in Baldur's Gate, etc.). The deities peacefully serve the public by providing aid with spells and potions. Weapons would seem out of place. Now, if there was a temple to Kord (CG god of strength) or Erythnul (CE god of slaughter), weapons of destruction would be consistent with the god and its followers.

Quote:
2) Do you think that it hurts to be resurected? I mean I am sure that at least some degree of pain is involved in the dying part of the equation but there is still the being brought back part to think about...
In classic D&D, characters lost a point of constitution for each resurrection, and elves couldn't be resurrected at all. In AD&D, characters are drained one experience level or a certain amount of experience.

Quote:
3) The game seems to go out of it's way to make sure that you know with which god the clerics/paladins are alligned with, yet if you go to a temple of that god you get no special tratment or no hostile treatment when you go to temples of other gods...
O Keeper of the One Ring, you're not the only one who wonders that. On paper, usually clerics visiting a temple of their deity would be welcomed, while other temples of other gods might be inhospitable or downright hostile (Corellon Larethian and Gruumsh, for example).

EDIT: fixed the blockquote stuff

[ 12-27-2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Pirengle the BNM ]
Old 12-27-2002, 01:40 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

1) Install DSotSC. Go to the beregost temple. I think that should be enough for most parties.

2) I woudnt think having your soul dragged across the planes would be fun, in either direction.

3) It would be nice, but it would require coding. About the only way to do it would be to code responses for each NPC cleric. And then you would have trouble when Viconia gets beat up in most temples on sight - Shar not being the most pleasant of goddesses.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:46 PM   #4
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

also most of the towns only have one or two temples. It would be kinda strange if there were 15 temples in a town of 200. Most of the temples are of nuetral( like helm a protection god, I think ohgma, god of knowledge(may only be bg2) is nuetral) or lawful and good gods(lathander being the best example) which would frown on the clergy ignoring people in need. Even if it was only to try to win converts.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:33 PM   #5
Daggerthorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is it my impression or do the deities take a background role in Baldur's Gate? You don't choose your allegience and the only ones who do follow a god are paladins and druids.

By the way, I've always wanted to have more info on the deities in Baldur's Gate/Forgotten Realms. Does anyone know any good websites? Doing a search on Google seems to bring up the most pointless websites. Anyone?
Old 12-28-2002, 02:18 AM   #6
Lemmy
Manshoon

"1) Why don't they sell better cleric weapons at temples? In my world this is where you should expect to find the best tools of the trade..."

Hrm. I think the weapons would mostly need to fit the personality of the deity. A temple of Talos (as in BG2) I could see as having some very painful-looking maces, since Talos likes suffering and whatnot. On the other hand I'd expect, say, Maces of Disruption at a Helmish temple. Anti-Undead weaponry better protects the people, keeps order (dead stay dead), and so on. All temples having the same stock is very blah.

"2) Do you think that it hurts to be resurected?"

Firstly, I doubt the process would be painful. I think any pain would kick in after you wake up. Also, there's a difference between being Res'd and Raise Dead. Raise Dead would probably hurt a *lot* more than being Resurrected. You might be a little sore after Res'ing, which heals you (so nerves should not be firing too many "pain" pangs to the brain). After being Raised, though, you're alive but not healed, so I'd imagine you'd still be covered in all sorts of non-fatal wounds.

"3) The game seems to go out of it's way to make sure that you know with which god the clerics/paladins are alligned with, yet if you go to a temple of that god you get no special tratment or no hostile treatment when you go to temples of other gods..."

BG2 makes up for this somewhat by adding a number of sidequests for NPCs, so their occupation and place of work comes to the forefront. It's still not as in-depth as I'd like, but maybe PnP is needed for the amount of depth I'd want.

-Lem
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 03:52 AM   #7
Daggerthorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote by Pirengle the BNM:
Quote:
In classic D&D, characters lost a point of constitution for each resurrection, and elves couldn't be resurrected at all.
Aren't elves supposed to be eternal? Meaning they don't die of old age but can be killed by other means? I know in Tolkiens Middle Earth it is so. Was wondering if it's the same in the Forgotten Realms?
Old 12-28-2002, 09:47 AM   #8
Vedran
Lord Soth

Deities
Temple east of Beregost is dedicated to Lathander. One in Western Baldur's Gate (small one) is of Tymora.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 05:09 PM   #9
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Daggerthorn:
Aren't elves supposed to be eternal? Meaning they don't die of old age but can be killed by other means? I know in Tolkiens Middle Earth it is so. Was wondering if it's the same in the Forgotten Realms?
elvish immortality is a little strange in d&d. While they are technically immortal, it's more form things like disease and age. also they have a limit on how long tey live on the prime material plane(not like in 1021 years your times up) at soe point usually at least 800 years into thier existence they kinda float off into some unamed plane of existence w/ other elves. Battle wounds can kill an elf. I forget how they handle disease. but they don't age in the same way as the other races.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:23 PM   #10
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

oh i have a question, What's the deal with Waukeen(sp?)? first how does a god disappear? Second, they most have some plan for Him, I mean you don't make a god disapear unless your planning to do something with him. Any idea what they are? Have they already happened somewhere?