Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-22-2001, 11:03 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here are some excerpts from the Black Isle forums from David Gaider, Senior Designer at Bioware. He's talking about an unofficial romance mod to ToB involving Valygar, to give our female gamers another option from Anomen. This is still fairly early days, but it looks promising as most of the scripting for this romance is already in the game - just some minor additions to dialog.tlk needed.

Originally posted by Dave Gaider at Black Isle:

Quote:
Well, I have been toying with the idea of writing the Valygar romance (as it was planned originally) in ToB...it's pretty short, but I think it's alright.
If someone else wants to do it, though, and thinks they can, I'd be happy to turn over the script for it. The in-game writing never got farther than the sequence with the Gorion wraith and the ending...the middle stuff was planned but never written.

You know...I always WANTED to write the Valygar romance for BG2, itself, as well as ToB.

But here at work, the dialogue files for BG2 are all sealed off, so I can't edit or add anything to it. I was talking to Kevin about what 3rd-party dialogue editors exist out there, but I wasn't able to find anything that could help me and build a new talk table on top of that. {Just to let you know that a 3p dialogue editor does exist, it's TeamBG's IDU - Memnoch}

If you know how to do that, Manveru, I'd be more than happy to write a full-fledged BG2 Valygar romance...the scripting part is the easiest for me (I can even add in the vampire thing, too)...I just need the proper tools.

If not, well...a ToB Valygar romance might have to do.

(And if you're interested, I still DO have the whole design doc that was originally intended for Haer'Dalis's BG2 romance.)

Considering that I was the one who had to stand front and center and receive a barrage of flak from the female gamer community for something that wasn't my fault, I'm sure you can understand the fact that I've always had the urge to give the girls what they were originally supposed to get.

Besides, I like Valygar. He was the very first NPC I got to write when I joined Bioware.
I saw DaveG checking out IDU at TeamBG just today. I'll keep you posted on this very interesting development.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 11:42 AM   #2
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Good that someone is adding a new romance for female PC's. It's a shame that Anomen was the only choice. He fell in love with my female mage, and I ended up restarting the entire game because of that. You seem to only be interested in yourself. Blah blah blah.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Redblueflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 11:24 PM   #3
Tananda
Elminster

Thanks for the information, Memnoch .
It would be really nice to have choice. Although I do not dislike Anomen like most of people do, I cannot say that it is fair that girls have only one possibility.
Keep us informed on this, please

------------------
Tanda,
with best regards from Guild of Assassins
Tananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 12:28 AM   #4
trex_2010
Dungeon Master

_I_ think its not fair that the NPCs are straight. oh well. I guess i shouldn't have made my main a female. But i wanted to see what a female half-orc looked like in plate armor!!!

------------------
~ One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity ~
trex_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 03:43 AM   #5
Ixion
Dungeon Master

ouch trex...that is just SO nasty...if not to say smelly...

------------------
When Ixion the mage walks, the world shivers. (old BG saying)
Ixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:10 PM   #6
trex_2010
Dungeon Master

=P

By the way, a female half-orc looks pretty cool in plate...pretty scarry w/o it though.

------------------
~ One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity ~
trex_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 06:47 PM   #7
Tancred
White Dragon

Well, now you know why Orcs are always at war - to get away from the little woman...
Tancred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 09:24 PM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

I thought that Cernd was also a love intrest for the ladies (not that anyone ever uses him). (I remember seeing Cernd's baby in SK's inventory mod.)
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 12:19 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
I thought that Cernd was also a love intrest for the ladies (not that anyone ever uses him). (I remember seeing Cernd's baby in SK's inventory mod.)
Cernd's baby is part of his quest.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 05:08 PM   #10
ScottG
Drow Warrior

I knew I dropped him to soon, but he was so lame........ (I keep him a bit longer next time).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote