Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Tom
Elminster

no text~
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
Feral
Elminster

Not too much. SD is faster to cast (2 vs. 4) but doesn't last as long, making it more of a quick escape spell. SD is also level 5 (II is level 4). Given the number of "necessary" level 5 spells, I hardly ever use it.

[ 09-15-2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Feral ]
Old 09-15-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
Barren F.
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Besides, Shadow Door can't be cast on another target than the caster...
Barren F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Improved Invisibility tromps all over Shadow Door.

1) You cannot target spells on Invisible creatures, so enemies would have to Dispel your II before they can cast ANY spells at you (they can still use their Special Abilities, though).
2) II grants -4 bonuses to the target's AC and Saving Throws (and maybe even THAC0 as well), making this an awesome buffing spell for a Tank--just remember to cast it last. (See #1, above.)

Shadow Door, on the other hand, is basically just an Invisibility potion that doesn't last anywhere near as long.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:14 PM   #5
Feral
Elminster

Alright, I stand corrected. Did I mention I don't use SD much? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2004, 01:40 AM   #6
theGrimm
Manshoon

Six,

The only reason I can see for casting II last is that you get the first hit free. I admit, that's not a BAD reason.

But casting spells doesn't remove the II completely.

Oh, wait...another good reason to cast it last is that if you have it on, other party members won't be able to cast some other buffs (e.g. Improved Haste)
theGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:54 AM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Actually, Six said we're casting this on a tank... so we're casting II on another character last because once II is cast we can't cast anything else without dispelling the invisibility (except Bless, Chant, PfE 10' and similar spells).

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:08 AM   #8
theGrimm
Manshoon

Yeah, I sort of realized that at the last second.

Unfortunately, I don't know spell durations by heart, but when buffing I usually cast the short-lived area-of-affect buffs last (after II).

And I like normal haste to wear off last so I can still run away when the other buffs fail/end.

Evil priest: Casts Hold Person
Me: Runs into a dark corner (faster than hold person)
Me: Held
Me(IRL): Go get something to drink
theGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote