Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2001, 12:54 PM   #1
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

I am new to video games period. I've played AD+D for over 20 years (pathetic old dude). I've set my charactor up; but, I am having dialogue problems. I know dialoge is important/enjoyable to RP. I click the icon then a monk dude, he speaks, I don't know how to get my guy to respond. I can't do anything until I learn how to talk( go to the store, to the inn, start drinking, find out how to get into trouble, have some fun. I probably need a source of basic help 'cause I am new to games period. I don't want to clog up the road with my retardation. Thanks guys.

------------------
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 01:28 PM   #2
petem369
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nice to see older people getting into Baldurs Gate, AD&D games and the like (Rune quest) are great fun and BG manages to captivate the look of this world perfectly, if you persevere with the game I think you will find it a very rewarding experience.

now onto what u asked, speach comes in many different forms in Baldurs gate,

firstly and the type i presume u are talking about is very basic dialogue, if i can remember back that far non esential characters have only a set amout of text that does not differ, to return from this just click close dialogue. this goes for commoners etc,

next u get interactive dialogue where u can choose from a set of answers in red at the bottom of the text, this text depends on your charisma and charm, what u choose affects the outcome so choose carefully, for example you might miss quests.

Thirdly is another basic form of text used with inns and shops this is basicly yes i do want to use your services or sod off no i dont.

Hope this helps.
petem369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 01:49 PM   #3
Darkman

Yes unfortunately as petem369 said the dialogues in BG are very limited. Sometimes your character will not even get a chance to respond, and many other times you will only have two choices of things to say. That's one of things I didn't like about BG, is that the dialogue choices are very limited and often you'll end up saying something you don't really want to say just because you have to pick a certain speech choice or else you won't be able to start or finish a quest. In my opinion the game would have been much better if they added another couple choices to the dialogues so you can express how your character wants to react instead of how the game tells you to react.
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 08:53 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Ah, Telchar, it is indeed good to see long time veterans of the classic Pencil and Paper AD&D joining the ranks of CRPGs. I am a veteran of 22+ years myself.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 09:23 PM   #5
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

It will take a while to get familiar with the interface and what all the icons do. I advise that you right click every icon and item at least once to see if it has any additional features or functions.

The 'two heads facing each other' icon on the row of buttons at the botom of the screen enables you to talk to another character. If you select that and then click on a character you will initiate dialogue.

I have never played it but I have heard Planescape Torment, another Infinity Engine game by the makers of Baldur's Gate, is much more story driven and involves more puzzlesolving. BG is not tremendously driven by character interaction, although you do have a fairly elaborate plot to negotiate your way through, and you will have a fair amount of interaction with NPCs (non-player characters) that offers a mutliple choice of responses. Where Baldur's Gate shines is in it's combat and sophisticated coordination of attacks with the party's various abilities and gear. Btw, at some point after you've played BG1/Tales (if you haven't got Tales, get it, and go ahead and install it, even if you've already started your game) through solo I highly recommend playing it online with some other players. That is a blast!

Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 11:13 PM   #6
Kitka
Dungeon Master

hi! im an oldie myself. dont feel as if you cant enjoy these games because of the initial confusion you will have learning the interface. i give you one very useful tip, that you will thank me for : *the space bar is your friend*
when in combat, pause, select actions then release. this will aid greatly in the early stages of the game. alternatively, you can set the options to turn based combat, but it is better, in my opinion, to use the space bar with frequency. You will be starting with a low level char and depending on your class, very low HP, so beware gibberlings and wolves for a bit. build a six member party asap, especially if you chose mage class, then explore and enjoy.

i have recently completed throne of bhaal, the end of this series, and want to say here i enjoy bgI the most. it has more to offer in way of *required strategy and team member utilisation* during encounters than the next few games in the series. so when you are sweating the next outdoor rest, remember these moments are why we love and play dnd ! (the dm can be so verry, verry cruel!) haha, GL Kitka

------------------
Kitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 02:34 AM   #7
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes. Pause often in combat. Also quicksave frequently (hit the Q key), especially after every major accomplishment and before entering what might be a dangerous situation. And rely heavily on ranged attacks (bows), especially in the beginning.
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote