Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-30-2000, 12:33 AM   #1
xenotoca

Not a known bug and as far as I know no one else apaert from yourself (never saw black fiends post) have had this. The game has only ever locked on me once but others have had more. A restart of the computer and rentering game has always solved this in the past. As you say you do need a big virtual drive for swapping info in and out of and the load / save time were divided by 8 when I added 128meg to the 64 I was using. Other things to try, turn off all TSR`s (little box on your right in taskbar) especially any virus checker. The game is virus free but aome checkers still insist on checking every byte in and out of memory. This can turn a 5 minute install into 55 min and may affect the game when its running.
You do not say what OS you are using, neither if you are running the graphics is software of hardware mode. W2000 is not supported but the game will run with mods and many people have had problems running the graphics other than in software mode while of course other havenot. This is part of the charm of the Modern PC almost no 2 are alike, what a headache for the programmers at least they know were they are with a games console, until ver 1,1 of the consle OS comes out to beat the chippers.
Let us know if you resove the problem and how as it may help those who come after you.

Old 11-30-2000, 10:39 AM   #2
Mammawlin

I am having the same problem that Black Fiend had in Oct., but can't seem to find where anyone helped him or if he figured it out for himself or what??? Every time I try to kill the Lily in the Boogre cave, my game locks up. I killed several other Lilies down here without this problem, so I don't understand why now it is locking up? Sometimes, I can hit ESCAPE and get back to windows to reload; other times my computer locks up and I must turn it off to clear it. . . ugh, anything but that!!! Anybody know what to do?? I noticed DWB says to check the PROPERTIES and VIRTUAL MEMORY, which I will, but this is a new computer and shouldn't be doing this, so I am sure it is the game!! Please help me someone.

Old 11-30-2000, 10:45 PM   #3
Mammawlin

Thanks for answering Xenotoca - I'm not very good at computer jargon, I guess that is why I hate it so much when I have a problem like this. . . I don't know what to do. My best description of my OS is this: Compaq Persario X86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3; 95.0MB RAM 68% Free, File System and Virtual Memory both 32 bit; Graphics Hardware accelerator set at FULL; C drive capacity 7.43 GB with 3.63 Used and 3.80 Free; Windows is managing the Virtual Memory - I have only had this computer for a few months. It may have more memory and gadgets and stuff, but I think it is more "thin skinned" than my old Pentium! I totally agree that they all are different, kinda like people and pets. . . and I too sympathize with the programmers - and I used to think being a doctor would be difficult!! HA! I say HA! The really strange thing is that this is all happening in my husbands game and I just went throught the Boogre caves and the Lilies without a hitch???? Mysterious, very mysterious! Another mystery is that I answered BlackFiend's thread, I was asking him for help, I was the first to address his problem, so it came back to the forum right after mine as NEW, and now it has disappeared. Curiouser and Curiouser! Anyways, thanks again for the reply and caring, it means a lot in this cruel world to have folks like you who just care. God speed to you!

Old 12-01-2000, 12:06 AM   #4
Sloth

My system used to lock up constantly, until I read a post on the HP web site. It suggested to kill all TSR's as well as changing your Windows screen resolution to 640x480 and have 16-bit color. As soon as I switched and restarted my system the game has been working like a champ.

Old 12-01-2000, 04:00 AM   #5
xenotoca

welcome aboard Mammawlin
The only hard part about becoming a doctor is to practise handwriting until it becomes illegable.
LOL
95 meg of ram is a strange amount?
By OS it means Operating system ie Windows 98, Unix, Beos, windows 2000 ect.
I assume that both you and your husband are using the same settings when playing the game and useing 3 save slots each. As you have done the caves OK and your husbamd is having the problem is strange and could indeed mean a bug if the JL`s are encountered in a certain place. I notice since you pushed Black Fiends thread up the list it has had some suggestion also. One of which is making the JL`s fight elsewere. This may be the answer as the problem of Graphics Clipping (getting stuck in the 3d graphics) has occured to me in the serpant temple and to others in the toad village and probally elsewere. This phenominom is not unknown in other 3d type games.
Let us know if he makes it through we are all rooting for him as the ladies are beating us mere men hands down so far in W&W

Old 12-01-2000, 10:42 AM   #6
Mammawlin

Thank you so much, Xenotoca, for the welcoming and the help. I am running
Wiondows 98 - I agree 95MB RAMis and odd amount - I am uncertain how it got to be that. I know my husband had a little extra installed for me, but it still should be an even number, HUH??? Well, we took Freudianslips' advice (once I found the BlackFiend thread again) and ran from them and then ran around them - it worked, although we hated to give up those experience points - we managed to get unboogred and made it to the "stick holes" room to make our escape. Then we got curious about the other door in that room ( I was in such a hurry to get out, I didn't ever take a second glance at this door in my game. . . darn, darn, darn!) Well, we managed to get the stairs in line to get to it and climbed up and found the lever, pulled it and the computer locked up again! I think I will try what Sloth suggested and see if that works out. I will let you know. God speed to all and thanks again guys!

Old 12-01-2000, 02:09 PM   #7
Mammawlin

Nope, It didn't work! We get to the lever and pull it, and it says it is loading, but nothing happens and except the game locks up, then we must ESCAPE to windows and reload the game. Man, this is depressing. . . to do, to do????

Old 12-01-2000, 07:14 PM   #8
Fangface

If you've got a built-in graphics card, these may be allocated part of the main memory rather than have a separate area. So might actually have 96Mb (64 + 32), but 1M is allocated solely to graphics. If this is so, that's probably not enough nowadays. See if you can change it up to something like 4M (through BIOS settings, most likely).

I'm sorry I can't be more definite, but I don't know many specifics about Compaq machines. Nor do I wish to. They're real pains to fix.

Old 12-02-2000, 12:10 AM   #9
thoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In Windows 98, hit start, then run, then type msconfig. I gives a list of programs which start when the computer starts. Turn them all off, then reboot. (Turn them back on when you quit playing). Also try the settings Sloth suggested.

If you have two cd drives, make sure the game is installed in the one with the lowest letter (this caused me trouble).

Tell your husband that excess testosterone will sometimes cause the computer to lock.

And do not ignore the other door in the stick chamber. Good Luck.
Old 12-02-2000, 11:20 AM   #10
Mammawlin

Well, I can't find any BIOS settings - so don't know if the suggestion from Fangface will work, although it sounds like a good idea. . . But I will try thoon's suggestion - and I already tried Sloth's suggestion, It didn't work. Man, we are really stuck now, because not only will the door to the back of the boogre cave not open, neither will the door that lets us out to the city in the front. It just says its loading, but nothing happens and we must ESCAPE to the desktop! I sure do hope thoon's idea works. Jessman (my husband) is getting really pissed! So far my game has not has these problems. . . I wonder why he is having them???? My game was started first, but. . . Oh I am just stumped!!