Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #41
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by Mozenwrathe:
You are joking right? That you could with the software you have at your fingertips now actually backwards integrate some of the new creations from the new game into the old one? Is that even theoretically possible? And if so, would that not mean you could access the models in yet another program and see how they were constructed (thereby making it able for you to render new versions of the monsters you already HAVE designed and import THOSE creations back into NeverWinter Nights 2)...
Oh yeah, its very easy to do. You know that Nature Giant in EFU? That came from World of Warcraft! [img]smile.gif[/img] Although I had to cut it into parts, change the actual pivot points and fix some stuff, its easy to do.

I just wanted to see if it could be done. Yup! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Its just strange they used lightwave... its rarely ever used in the gaming industry these days. They use Maya or 3DS Max mostly.

Prolly used it because their animation node system is integrated into another app called 'Granny 3D'. LOL! Granny==slow, old... yep, that describes the NWN2 engine.

And since Granny3D is proprietary, you can't modify it, and thus, cannot make new monsters for NWN2. (and no one has cracked the code of granny3d to make a plugin or conversion program for it..) ugh.
[/QUOTE]LOL, are you talking about those giant tree guys in WOW, the "Ancient Protectors" that wander the Elven cities and Dire Maul? I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like in NWN's 1. I had no idea that could be done. Any screens offhand?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #42
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yep, those are the guys! I decided to try a really hard complicated looking mob to convert, and if it could be done, then I could add them all if I wanted. [img]smile.gif[/img] THAT would take time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The UV Mapping survives the 3DS Max import too, so no need to re UV it! (Awesome).

Check my mod for it--here someone posted screens of killing the nature giant:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/hosted/wowtest01.jpg
http://www.ironworksforum.com/hosted/wowtest02.jpg

Also imported those watermelons [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 AM   #43
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Wow, it looks amazing and so "intact" upon conversion. The possibilities...You could steal tiles etc. There are hundreds of amazing models in WoW and all very easy on the hardware too.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #44
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

So I just got to test the game. Oh my god! The controls are horrible! The camera just suck, it doesn't follow you well at all, and all I could find to move it around is my third mouse button, and even with minimum sensibility, it move super fast, and my third mouse button is the scroll so using it is non-intuitive.

Moving with the mouse is impossible, as there is a lag from the moment you click somewhere and the moment your character move. WASD is almost as worse, since the camera is so bad, the character turn way too fast, and moving around feel ackward. I can barely tolerate it so far, and I just started. I couldn't even find an option to change the controls! I could live with it, if they let me change things around, the camera control button especially. How do we change the controls?

The graphics are horrible. It look like a plain surface with a couple of things put up on it, it doesn't look like a real world at all, it remind me of the couple first 3d games that were released years ago. And to make things worse, they seem to take lots of resources. Water especially, I've seen water more beautifull than this that took way less resources. Actually, I've seen many games that were more beautifull, living and filled, that had way lower reqs. And don't even get me started on the character models, they're just bad.

I want to see the story and gameplay, but so far, it's not easy, at all.

[ 11-05-2006, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 11-05-2006, 03:57 AM   #45
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Oh I love it--get this:

When you buff yourself with all your spells and potions, and you leave to another area (in a house, or to another land transition) ALL of your buffs are removed. Even if you cast them RIGHT before you transfer.

LOL... niiiiccceee. Something THIS SIMPLE should have been an easy find for playtesters....

[img]graemlins/headshake.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #46
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Aye, it sucks. Well at least you know what we were talking about now, Luvian . It's sad really, yet another D&D game botched.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #47
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not kidding, I could play Oblivion with the graphics 75% to the max, Bloom activated and all, and the game had decent FPS. I played Dark Messiah with graphics set at high with 1280x1024 resolution without any problem at all, but I'm in the swamp in NWN2, shadows desactivated, water reflection desactivated, everything at the minimum, the game in 800x600, and I'm lagging more than if I had put up all the graphics to the max in Oblivion.

And the graphics suck. NWN2's maximum graphics are about as beatifull as Oblivion's minimum graphics, and NWN2's minimum graphics seriously remind me of Hexen on the nintendo 64, and I'm not exegerating, even the text is pixelated. just try putting everything to minimum, you'll see.

I can't get over the outdoor graphics. I don't know how to describe this, but it's so obvious everything is placed props, it doesn't look realistic at all. The ground surface is a basic straight line, and houses are not even 1/4 the size of what they look like from the inside. They're a also straight block with no details or surface, and they do not merge with the ground well, neither does the trees, barrels and everything else, so the game look like they took a cardboard sheet and glued stuff to it, it doesn't look those houses were build, or those tree grown.

The character suck too. When the character creation screen opened up, my reaction as well as my brother was "what are those piece of crap ugly models!". And you can't customise anything either. I can't even remember the last game like this I played that didn't at least give me a couple of facial features. Then the game started and I was inside the tutorial. The game like to do closeup "cutscene", and the character's textures up close are really horrible. I even tried setting them to high and bumping the resolution to 1280x1024 to see if they would at least be decent, but they didn't. The models themselver suck so much anyway it's pointless. The hair look like a solid object glued badly to their head, and the mouth is horrible.

What suck is that the story seem interesting, and I actually like the gameplay so far and want to play on, but it's as if they don't want me to. I think this is the last Obsidian game I play.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #48
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yep, I had bitched up and down about it since release. The story is there but the damn thing is in no way tolerable. I tried last night and couldn't suffer the horrible controls after about 30 minutes so tuned it off.

I think the ideal interface for this game would have come from Guild Wars. WoW is an amazing interface but the look and feel of the GW UI would have matched well with this. Hell, what I wouldn't give to have even the old NWN 1 UI back, where I could click a button on the hotbar and see it instantly depress as I did so.

I can't believe no-one had hacked it yet and reskinned/redone the thing. Even if it was a horrible black bar just in the center I wouldn't care if it WORKED. And don't you remember with NWN 1 there was the camera hack? Even that would be some help but I can find nothing. I guess people don't even want to bother and I can't say I blame them...
Old 11-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #49
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I can tolerate the action bar, just so long as they remove the lag on mouse movement. I can tolerate the camera and controls, if they let me change my controls. But the FPS is a killer, and so are the graphics.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #50
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Someone posted a graphic comparison of NWN 1 and NWN 2, and I to=hought it was interesting. What exactly are the updated reqs used for?

NWN1: http://www.freewebs.com/thiefsrpgs/Camthalion.JPG
NWN2: http://www.freewebs.com/thiefsrpgs/Camthalion2.JPG

[ 11-05-2006, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote