Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2003, 03:32 AM   #1
platel
Welcomed New User

I'm having a problem with the quest in chapter 1 where I have to save the villagers from Torak.

I've opened the gate to using the invisibility potion. Then I killed every single ork on the map.
But still the villagers do not reakt to me. When I talk to them they say "I've got nothing to say to you".

What could be wrong? I walked over the map a hundred times to see if maybe there is a ork that I forgot to slay, but there are none.
The strange thing is that I do hear a sort of growling noise when every where on the map. But I really cannot find any more orks or monsters on the map.

The woman near the wrecked houses in the south east part of the map, also does not say anything.

What can I do?

[ 03-03-2003, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: platel ]
platel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:10 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

did you kill every orcs that guard that village? if you do you will get a journal entry.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:09 AM   #3
Xavier Silvermoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The smae thing happened to me. What I did was break all the barrels and destroy the Kegs of firestarting. That should let them out.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:48 AM   #4
platel
Welcomed New User

As far as I know, and I've been all over the map a couple of times, all the orcs are dead. And all the kegs are destroyed.
But still no journal entry or reaction from the townsfolk.
platel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

If you have a save game from before, try this:

1. Get the quest to free the villagers.

2. Open the gate, go inside the compound, kill every orc there. DO NOT kill Torak and company, just go after the orcs inside the little fort.

3. Return to the woman who gave the quest. Then go after Torak.

I always did it that way and never had a problem with this quest.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:38 AM   #6
Gil-Galad
The Magister

What a bugger! You have probably done this already, but you have to talk to the woman that gives you the mission after you've opened the gate, and after you've freed the villagers. Good luck - hope you have an old saved game in hand...
Old 03-14-2003, 11:47 PM   #7
koconnor100
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
If you have a save game from before, try this:

1. Get the quest to free the villagers.

2. Open the gate, go inside the compound, kill every orc there. DO NOT kill Torak and company, just go after the orcs inside the little fort.

3. Return to the woman who gave the quest. Then go after Torak.

I always did it that way and never had a problem with this quest.

Nightowl2
I've always sent a rogue in to open the gate, then to the other area to rescue the villagers, then back to the woman, then back to the first area and wipe out everything, no worries about killing the wrong guy etc.

Ranger would probably work too.

invis is iffy, because you need two of them, one to get in, you blow it by openning the gate, one to get out. A 3rd level mage could technically do it (has a 2nd level spell slot for invisability) but I'm not sure there's an actual invisability spell for sale anywhere...
Old 03-15-2003, 12:42 AM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Has something changed since I played this game? One invis was enough to get the job done. No one ever went visible by opening the gate to the compound. Whether it was the spell or a potion, the person remained unseen until he/she attacked.

Maybe you're thinking of the "hide in shadows" option for rogues? In that case, yes, the rogue becomes visible when opening the gate.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 05:24 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Nightowl is right - one invisibility potion should be enough to get you in and out of Torak's compound.

This should be straightforward -
get the quest,
enter Torak's compound,
turn the wheel to open the gate to the compound on the west,
exit Toraks compound,
enter the compound on the west
kill all the orcs without having any of the villagers hurt
destroy enough of the kegs to free the villagers - DO NOT destroy the keg of firestarting as it may damage the villagers
go back to the woman to tell her the villagers are freed

now you are free to go back and kill Torak

I don't recall seeing any issues on this quest being reported pre-patch on the Interplay forums, so it should work whether you have the patch installed or not.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote