Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2001, 05:21 PM   #1
Kalgrog

Ok. What's the deal? I go to the gate district, this was a while ago, and go to this inn that has some lover problems. Ding, oh I see a secret door in the common room. Lets open it guys and check it out! Cool! So in we go all happy-go-lucky evil-doers when suddenly a foul stench and grating voice assails us from ahead. Yep, another damn lich and he's pissed because we disturbed his rest. I met another one while doing the Unseeing Eye quest in the sewers. Needless to say, I reloaded after that encounter too. Will there be a time when I can revisit these SOBs and get a little reciprocity?! I really wanna beat down on one of those bags of wind! Anyone, just a frustrating factor. My half-orc barb doesn't like it when I tell him he can't bash something.

Old 01-03-2001, 05:40 PM   #2
G.W.

You can go after them right away once you get a +3 weapon. It takes some strategy, not sending in the whole party but two or three. That Gate lich is the easiest one in the game, probably, and you definitely should kill him soon because he possesses a very useful weapon.

Old 01-03-2001, 09:09 PM   #3
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I did the same thing. Solved the lovers quarrel then saw the door, opened it, saw Mr Lich, uhhh ran. He followed. I just pushed all attack and killed him fast as hell. The bar drank on.... but then I forgot to save, went outside and got in a fight, lost half my party due to stupidity, and tried to reload. Woops! Took me two times to kill the bastard when I actually knew he was there. Go figure
Old 01-04-2001, 12:47 AM   #4
G.W.

It's in the chest. The Daystar is a must have. Eventually those vampires you see at night will randomly come after you and if you don't have a weapon like that you are vampire toast.

Old 01-04-2001, 09:25 AM   #5
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

i reacon liches are somehow harder than dragons because the red & shadow dragons gave me no trouble but liches still kill me (little basteds).
Old 01-04-2001, 10:11 AM   #6
marc1ace

here is the deal,when I stumbled upon the lich (in the secret door in the inn and in the unseeing eye quest)they made minced meat out of my party. Although it was early on in the game so my characters were low level: I'm not sure if I could take them on now (it's like dragons: at first they whipped me real good, but after the underdark chapter I went back and taught them a lesson).

Anyway, there is an amazing weapon in that lich's room (in the gate district):the daystar, very effective against vampires so be sure to grab it before you go on to the graveyard district!!! Just let one of your members go in the lich's room while the rest of your party waits in the pub. Have that character hasted or drink an oil of speed potion. Go in, grab the sword and run! the lich wont follow you outside. As for the satisfaction of killing the lich: you'll have to wait for an other time.

Old 01-04-2001, 10:57 AM   #7
Kalgrog

Hmm. Are you sure the sword is always in there? In one of my attempts I had someone check out the coffin while others were fighting and it appeared to be empty. Anyway, I will look again but I doubt anything will be there.

I have also decided that level 10 is way too low to try this guy. I can survive long enough to kill the pit fiend he summons but then people start dropping like flies. It is the damn Time Stop spell he casts which gives him such and edge, plus a lot of spells have no affect on him. Anyway, the day will come! Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-04-2001, 01:09 PM   #8
NytesHalo

There's also a weapon you can buy in the copper Coronet, can't remember which one, that does extra damage to undead and has a chance to destroy them utterly, much like the mace of disruption. Bernard has this weapon and it's REAL nice and if you can afford it I definitely suggest you get it. I even spent a good deal of the free Imoen fund to get this little jewel. And to make it more affordable......

******SPOILER*********

If you get permission from Lehtinon to go into the back rooms you can just wander about freely. Near the back of the room is a prison area with a bunch of slavers. Go ahead and kill them. An enslaved barbarian will ask you to get the key to free him so he can get revenge on Lehtinon. The Beastmaster can be found just bad the room with all the gladiator pits. Once you free him, Handek (the barbarian) Will run off to kill Lehtinon (no contest there) He then takes over the Coronet and offers you to talk to bernard and gives you a discount for freeing him.

Old 01-04-2001, 02:26 PM   #9
Kalgrog

Never saw a chest! Damn lich must be resting his rotten rear on it. I will check it out. Btw, can I even use the Daystar if both my main tanks are evil? I believe I saw the weapon talked about in the Copper Coronet and it wasn't usable by evil ones. Not too worried about vampires though since I will be joining sides with Bodhi very shortly after I finish up a couple more subs. Thanks guys!

Old 01-04-2001, 02:43 PM   #10
G.W.

Hmm, there's a chest there. The lich has a lot of goodies on him, I thought it was on him. I'd try to kill him though. With haste (along with protection from evil, fire) you can run in and possibly get hits on him before he starts casting. Evil characters can wield the daystar, just as Viconia can cast protection from evil (oddly enough). Even if you intend to go with Bodhi, it's still worth having a weapon that can do 1000+ hp damage to all undead in sight.