Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-31-2001, 07:36 AM   #11
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Oh yes, that is so very helpful
What does the fact that the US military may or may not have designed the internet have anything to do with anything?...

You should be ashamed of yourself, coming from Europe and not knowing the origins of the internet! Ahh these youngsters.
A history lesson for you from someone who was working with 'networks' during the beginnings:

The 'Intranet', as we all know it today was indeed 'invented' by the US military. TRUE. (c.1968?)
But the first time any internet protocol was used to link two local networks together was in Europe, during the Stella satelite commuciations project (1981). This linked up CERN, "Centre European pour la Recherche Nucleaire", (Switzerland), Pisa (Italy) to Cambridge (UK).

And yes, this dicussion board has it's origins at CERN too. Discussion boards (forums) were one of the first developments we made at CERN (am I showing my age?),so that the scientists could share their reasearch in real-time. But the boards at CERN even started to depart from scientific study to hobbies and other trivia and so separate boards were created. And the community grew until in 1990, a CERN scientist (Tim Berners-Lee) co-wrote the first web client...

More information can be found at:
http:\\www.cern.ch

I was only a junior at CERN in those days and had nothing to do with the development of CERNet etc., but I was using it from 1986 until I left in 1991... So I know this to be fact.

Old 10-31-2001, 07:40 AM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:

You should be ashamed of yourself, coming from Europe and not knowing the origins of the internet! Ahh these youngsters.

First off, I never said or implied I didn't know its origins, and second, I don't see why it should matter as long as we all enjoy being online.
Edit: and third, what makes you think you are older than me?

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art

[This message has been edited by Melusine (edited 10-31-2001).]
Old 10-31-2001, 07:45 AM   #13
Skunk
Banned User

ouch! I apologise if I have offended you. No offense was meant.
And you are right, it's not really important who invented it - only that we continue to use it in the spirit in which it was first created: as a polite medium for sharing information...

Again, accept my apologies.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:46 AM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
ouch! I apologise if I have offended you. No offense was meant.
And you are right, it's not really important who invented it - only that we continue to use it in the spirit in which it was first created: as a polite medium for sharing information...

Again, accept my apologies.
Whoa, relax! I wasn't offended, I just pointed out to you what I felt lacked in your reasoning...

zand erover

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-31-2001, 11:36 AM   #15
Lucre
Elminster

any way. I hought those guys at the end of SoA were The Keeper of The Tomes from candlekeep or some of the cowled wizards.

Something like that anyway.

- Lucre, Ninja Wossname
Old 10-31-2001, 01:16 PM   #16
Malekith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Perhaps they're followers of Cyric
Old 10-31-2001, 06:11 PM   #17
Seraph
Quintesson

Skunk, I thought Sisco Systems invented the internet via the router? The hardware is just as importnat as the software you know.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:24 PM   #18
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

Arnt they the watchers in the tower, a group of mages who sit in a tower in the middle of Fearun (scuse spelling). For anyone whos read any forgotten realms books you should kno who they are. They are mentioned in the Drizzt books.

They sit around and monitor all the going ons in the realm.

Please inform me if im dead wrong!!

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 11-01-2001, 03:03 PM   #19
Legolas the Elven Archer

I doubt anyone could have missed the symbol on the table, the skull which you may recognise from the location where the final battle in BG1 was fought. So either there's a interior decorator somewhere in the realms making lots of money with this, or Sarevok and the guys have something in common...
But what could that be?

1. They all wanted you dead
2. They all wanted all the other Bhaalspawn dead
3. They all shop at the same store
4. They all worship the same being
5. Other, being ...................

Not having played ToB yet, in which I was suspecting to find the answers, I have no clue as to which one of the above is correct.

As to the spamming, I do it all the time *manages to keep a straight face* As a matter of fact, one out of every twenty posts on this topic were posted by me, and I reply to another ten percent. *nose starts tingling* All of my posts are complete nonsense, and that's the only reason I reached this rank *windos shatter and walls crack as the room is suddenly filled by a gigantic nose with aspects better left undescribed*

Actually, I hardly ever do anything that might come close to being spam. I always post with reason, though I have become the unfortunate victim of Rikard and Jerome on several occasions, being drawn into posts which may be considered as having spammy content...

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Legolas:
First Supreme Ranger-Protector of the Ironworks
Maintainer of the Ranger-Protector of the Ironworks Clan Website
Recruiter of Rangers (and Paladins for Keldorn's Order when he's got some spare time)

Old 11-02-2001, 02:04 AM   #20
Charlander
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:
I doubt anyone could have missed the symbol on the table, the skull which you may recognise from the location where the final battle in BG1 was fought. So either there's a interior decorator somewhere in the realms making lots of money with this, or Sarevok and the guys have something in common...
Yeah, when I first saw the symbol I thought to my self "this is some sort of conspiracy against me, but who these guys are, I don't know, but they have benn following you through the ebtire game that's for sure!"

------------------
...and he walked the earth for centuries, slaying creaturs of the underworld...

-Charlander

[This message has been edited by Charlander (edited 11-02-2001).]