Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2004, 12:08 AM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

ARF!! in 3 and a half hours I have to give a short presentation of my copyright essay, I'm basicly freaking out, I hate standing in front of people and speak. I know it's no big deal and that I can do it but I'm so freaking nervous...
I've spent the last 3 hours refining and practicing and I just feel terribly unprepared...

Anyone ever heard that peoples number one fear is speaking in front of people but death was number 2...? well I feel the same way, I'd rather be in the coffin than giving the eulogy... [img]smile.gif[/img]

How about yous guys... how do you handle this sort of thing?
Old 02-23-2004, 12:43 AM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I soak it up! The stage is my home! I would give that presentation for you in a heartbeat, Jorath. But since I can't, here's some basic tips:
First and foremost, LOOK AT THE AUDIENCE. Specifically, look one person in the eyes for each 'thought' you state. Popular lore says look at someone different every seven seconds or so. A better method is, for example, to say...
"::looks at person A:: Look one person in the eye for each thought you state. ::gaze over, almost casually, at person B:: Popular lore says look at someone different every second seconds or so ::now find someone else, Person C:: But popular lore can be wrong, don't you think? ::person D:: This way, it feels like you're talking to just one person and should ease your anxiety."
This also prevents you from hiding behind your index cards or papers. Memorize as best you can, and only glance down if you lose your place.

Secondly, speak with clarity. Don't mumble. Project, as well. Take deep breaths, making sure your tummy expands. That's your diaphragm at work.

Thirdly, don't be static. Don't be afraid to move around a little bit. People watch a figure that moves about just a little.

And fourthly, remember that speaking in front of crowds is something everyone has to do. A very tiny percentage of the population is like me. Most find it very unnerving. So don't sweat it. Most of them wouldn't want to be in your position, so they'll cut you a LOT of slack if you do mess up.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Thanks for the tips... I'll keep them in mind.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:00 AM   #4
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I can't, I hate speaking infront of people. I mean I can practice a speech by myself at home, but doing it infront of people makes me fumble. I don't envy you, but I do hope all goes well.

Good luck Jorath.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:54 AM   #5
philip
Galvatron

Keep your papers with you if you're allowed. However don't read them, try as much as you can memorising. The papers are just to feel safer and it works great. I had memorised everything but right in front of the class it just went not so good. Luckily I was allowed to restart.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:50 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

I loathe myself...

Well... those were the 5 most horrible minutes... ever... not just in my life but in all lifes in all history of mankind... and the universe...

Okey maybe not but it still was awful:

- I suddenly started to stammer in the middle, never did that before...
- I noticed a typo on the presentation screen I did, it completely threw me of.
- I decided to take my eyes of my notes... and it also threw me of track...
- When I finished the professor told me to check my resources better because there are newer laws than I mentioned in the presentation, then I noticed I had forgoten tomention them like I was going to...

And to top it of right after me came another guy with the same topic as me... and did a great speech, without notes... and much more torough

Ugh, I feel like a complete idiot and a waste of space... If anyone has a hole in the ground for rent the please let me know
Old 02-23-2004, 05:56 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Awwww Jorath, don't put yourself down so badly! It always seems worse for you than for your audience - judging by the spelling abilities of my classmates at Uni for instance (people whom you'd expect to be able to spell correctly), I doubt anyone even noticed your typo. And so many people stammer or falter when giving speeches, it's pretty much expected of you.
Maybe the key does lie in more preparation. You should never memorise exact sentences, but simply be at home in the area which you're going to talk about, so that, even if you can't think of one sentence, you can make up an equivalent one from the top of your head.
It's good to know how to breathe right as Illumina said, but if you have a big prob speaking in front of people, such things might only distract you even further (OMG! I'm not breathing right... hang on, hang on, what was I saying again?). But to breathe through your stomach a few times before you start will calm you down. In fact, if you practise it a lot outside of stressy situations, it will become natural to you.
Anyway, I think as long as you are thoroughly at ease with the subject you will be discussing, you should be safe, since you can rest secure in the knowledge that you KNOW what to say, it's all in your head. I've never had any problems with speaking in front of a class because I came well prepared.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:10 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Couldn't agree more with what Mel said. Learn from the experience. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It took me 2 years to feel comfortable with speaking in front of others, and I did it every second week. Then I got used to it and luckily I have no problems nowadays. I still get nervous when holding a seminar mind, but I know how to prepare, what to do etc. And you learn that by experience so keep at it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And other speeches always sound better than your own.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:16 AM   #9
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well I guess I overreacted a bit in my last post, I made it very shortly after this awful experience... [img]smile.gif[/img]
It was still not a very good speech, I'm not used to doing this and I wasn't very well prepared I guess, I was working on the essay all weekend and then it hit me around 5 yesterday, hey I have to give this presentation tomorrow... so I spent the evening practicing and preparing, went to bed and woke up around 4 in kind of panic... (that was when I made this thread... [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Anyway, I kind of hope I have to do it again soon so I maybe get some practice...
Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 AM   #10
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I get the same kind of thing Jorath, I start stammering and telling bad jokes (Alan Partridge style) out of nervousness. The only thing I find that helps is to know what I'm talking about inside out so I don't have much of a chance to feel embarressed. If I'm going into a presentation when I have no idea what I'm going to say, or how to answer any questions, then I'll lose it completely. I despise with a passion those people who can blag a speech completely off the cuff...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe