Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2001, 12:51 AM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Read this on the CNN website (I know, I know, not the most prestegious place, but saw a similar article on other sites also (NYTimes, Washington Post...)

Quote:
With a dire humanitarian and security situation in the country, U.S. officials said the Taliban has not delivered on the promises of stability, and the Bush administration sees "fertile ground" for a "homegrown" regime change in Afghanistan.

Although they were clear to say they could not "impose" a new government on the Afghan people, the officials said they were working with a variety of what they called "Afghan nationalists" -- ethnic, religious and political Afghan groups in the country and within the Afghan diaspora -- in the hope they would band together and form a new coalition government.

"The question is, have the conditions changed enough so that Afghans themselves can effect a realignment," one official said. "Maybe it is time for the Afghan people to rise up."

"To have a successful regime in Afghanistan, it has to be home grown," an official said. "You have to come up with a formula that is balanced with all ethnic groups and sects."
Now, can we believe what the administration is saying? Do you believe this is the best approach to displacing the Taliban?

My thoughts are that we should support the Afghani people with education, training, food, medicine, etc...but should not support any sort of 'opposition' alliance, that has always got us into trouble in the past! Let the Afghanis rise up against their own government, but support them while they do, IMHO.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-27-2001, 12:59 AM   #2
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmmmm..... Personally, I support military action by the US against Afghanistan. If we don't, more attacks will come our way and we'll just keep getting hit. The Afghani people aren't going to rise up, they just don't have the strength or the means. There are a few rebel groups but they don't have sufficient power to fight the Taliban. The only way this is going to end is if we (the US and allies) end the power of the Taliban and the extremist terrorist groups. When this goal is accompished, I think we should help but not interfere in the establishment of a new government that is designed and maintained by the Afghans. This is of course my opinion and view.

-Jafin

------------------

Proud Citizen of the United States of America
The Original Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Proprietor of the Boogre Bar
The not-so-secret admirer of Lioness
Old 09-27-2001, 01:05 AM   #3
G'kar

What ever military action/aid the international coalition against terrorism takes, those people in Afganistan need that food and humanitarian aid really bad! I read on the same CNN website that this winter could see 7-8 million suffering from starvation and right now 2 million are at risk. With the all the borders closed, no relief aid is getting through, and as long as the great U.S. military sits poised to launch, none probably will.

Old 09-27-2001, 01:35 AM   #4
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
What ever military action/aid the international coalition against terrorism takes, those people in Afganistan need that food and humanitarian aid really bad! I read on the same CNN website that this winter could see 7-8 million suffering from starvation and right now 2 million are at risk. With the all the borders closed, no relief aid is getting through, and as long as the great U.S. military sits poised to launch, none probably will.
Yes I agree, the Afghani people do need that food and aid, I won't argue that. I guess I didn't quite make myself totally clear on that, my mistake. However I don't think we should just send aid to the people of Afghanistan, we need to take decisive action as well. Otherwise, nothing's going to happen. The Taliban will just remain in power and the free world will continue to be attacked. It seems we have multiple duties here.

-Jafin

------------------

Proud Citizen of the United States of America
The Original Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Proprietor of the Boogre Bar
The not-so-secret admirer of Lioness
Old 09-27-2001, 02:23 AM   #5
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Hmmmm...Yep...that's it. Its official. Pigs are sprouting wings and the sky is turning fuzzy colors. I agreed with Dio in several places and am now agreeing(in a limited way) with G'Kar.

FWIW, I agree that we need to send in humanitarian aid if at all possible to the Afghanis. And the presence of our military isn't helping. That doesn't mean I think we should remove it. But, since we are in large part one(!) of the causes, we should at least pony up and help.

Unfortunately, the only real way to help involves that same military machine. It would most likely require a full scale ground invasion to both protect our soldiers, and to defend those we are helping. All the while exposing those soldiers to terrorist attack. Kind of a catch-22. Tough call.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-27-2001, 02:31 AM   #6
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Hmmmm...Yep...that's it. Its official. Pigs are sprouting wings and the sky is turning fuzzy colors. I agreed with Dio in several places and am now agreeing(in a limited way) with G'Kar.

FWIW, I agree that we need to send in humanitarian aid if at all possible to the Afghanis. And the presence of our military isn't helping. That doesn't mean I think we should remove it. But, since we are in large part one(!) of the causes, we should at least pony up and help.

Unfortunately, the only real way to help involves that same military machine. It would most likely require a full scale ground invasion to both protect our soldiers, and to defend those we are helping. All the while exposing those soldiers to terrorist attack. Kind of a catch-22. Tough call.

LOL, pigs flying, who would of thought. The whole situation is one big catch 22 if you ask me. Damn those a**h**** who did that on 9-11. I may start believing in hell just for them.

Old 09-27-2001, 02:44 AM   #7
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
LOL, pigs flying, who would of thought. The whole situation is one big catch 22 if you ask me. Damn those a**h**** who did that on 9-11. I may start believing in hell just for them.
*Hands G'Kar a large glass of his favorite adult beverage*

Dude...I may join you. Bastards!!

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-27-2001, 02:49 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Were you aware that the Taliban are threatening aid workers already there with execution if they use phones or computers?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-27-2001, 03:09 AM   #9
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Were you aware that the Taliban are threatening aid workers already there with execution if they use phones or computers?

Yes, I am. Funny how reporters can still use video phones and satellite feeds?

Old 09-27-2001, 03:18 AM   #10
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
*Hands G'Kar a large glass of his favorite adult beverage*

Dude...I may join you. Bastards!!

Heres to ya! *GULP GULP GULP* Those are more frequent now a days, I wonder if AA has seen a recent increase of relapse? It wouldnt suprise me. I know more than a few people who started smoking again within the last two weeks. I sure am glad I didnt quit on my birthday (8-20) or I'd be one of them.