Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

This time at my work. This is the first time I had to leave work early because of a virus. It shut down all of the computers in all the labs at the college. The culprit, it seems, is Yahoo Messenger, at least in our case. When the students have it up and running, it leaves a wide-open door for NIMDA to attack. And attack it did with a vengeance. Even the computer in my office was affected, and it's going to result in us having to reinstall Windows on ALL the computers. AUUUUGH!!!

Oh, well. Guess I needed a little bit of a break. Guys, DO be careful with this virus, though. Definitely download the patch, or whatever it takes to avoid getting it. It is bad, bad news.

------------------

I know who you are...I saw what you did!
Old 09-26-2001, 02:26 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Tell me about it
It infected our PC just from visiting infected forums, and f***ed up a lot of stuff. Fortunately, we downloaded the patch in time to save most of our files, and we didn't have to reinstall Windows, but it certainly caused us a lot of trouble

Thanks for the warning, Saz!

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-26-2001, 02:27 PM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
This time at my work. This is the first time I had to leave work early because of a virus. It shut down all of the computers in all the labs at the college. The culprit, it seems, is Yahoo Messenger, at least in our case. When the students have it up and running, it leaves a wide-open door for NIMDA to attack. And attack it did with a vengeance. Even the computer in my office was affected, and it's going to result in us having to reinstall Windows on ALL the computers. AUUUUGH!!!

Oh, well. Guess I needed a little bit of a break. Guys, DO be careful with this virus, though. Definitely download the patch, or whatever it takes to avoid getting it. It is bad, bad news.

do you mean, if you have yahoo messenger open, you are screwed?
man... that might explain it...

Edit: me is suspecting someone released all these virus ON PURPOSE... think about it, this is the second time in one month. and there was the planecrash

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 02:30 PM   #4
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Thanks for the heads up Saz. I will go get the patch now BTW do the Iornworks forums have an antivirus program?

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 09-26-2001, 02:30 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:

do you mean, if you have yahoo messenger open, you are screwed?
man... that might explain it...

Well, from what our administrator tracked off of our network, everything seems to be pointing to Yahoo Messenger as being the "doorway" for NIMDA to enter. Quite possibly, others such as AIM and ICQ also have other open doors. If you're running the patch file, it shouldn't be a problem, though. If you use YIM or any other PM, get the NIMDA patch! I'll see if I can find a link for it.

------------------

Old 09-26-2001, 02:50 PM   #6
G'kar

I opened yahoo messenger a few days ago, and a message screen popped up from "system" that had two squares in the measage line.( I dont know which keystroke to make to recreate them) I dismissed the message, suspicious it was virus related. As far as I can tell, my computer is working fine. I use IE6 and didnt open a webpage until after I dismissed the message. Im gonna run the anti-nimbda program I downloaded again just in case.

[This message has been edited by G'kar (edited 09-26-2001).]

Old 09-26-2001, 05:17 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well that sure sucks! Please somebody provide a link for this patch so I can protect my computer too! I did download IE6, but does that make me completely safe without the patch?

------------------
Old 09-26-2001, 05:26 PM   #8
Rikard

I think Firewall will kep you pretty safe
just don't donload stuff you didn;t order

------------------

I'm Watching you...

Old 09-26-2001, 10:12 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well that sure sucks! Please somebody provide a link for this patch so I can protect my computer too! I did download IE6, but does that make me completely safe without the patch?

LadyZ, I think IE6 should do the trick...it's immune to NIMDA.

On the other hand, ye gods only knows what it will let in!

Cheers,

------------------

Old 09-26-2001, 11:51 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yikes! Sorry to hear that nasty thing zapped you at work,Sazzie!
I dl IE 6 at home but like you said, who knows what it WILL let in now? LOL

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."