Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2003, 07:56 PM   #11
Animal
Gold Dragon

To some degree I understand how you feel. My problem was the exact opposite though. By the time I graduated, I was 6'5", 250lbs so although bullies didn't bother me, I had a real tough time fitting in. I think the worst problem was with the smaller kids, who figured I'd lay a beating on them just because they judged me to be that type of person because of my size.

In many cases, it's the emotional bullying which leads to the serious problems of guns, knives. It's a shame that kids feel it necessary to carry a gun or a knife just so they can feel safe, when this is the time in their life when they should feel the safest.

I don't care much for insecure people who feel the need to bully smaller people, just so they can make themselves feel better. I remember putting a stop to quite a few "bully incidents" in school, and for some time had people offering me money to beat up other kids.

I suppose, the only solace to be offered is that high school doesn't last forever and the old saying "what goes around comes around" still rings true today. Keep your chin up, guys and remember to talk to someone if it becomes too much.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #12
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Heh i have never had a problem with being bullied, Do to living in cuba for 6 years with a tiny school population. This is the first year i have been in a public school in the states. Are school isn't to bad a few fights but all schools where i live have cops in them all day so not many people do stuff at school. No one has bullied me or made fun of me here except for the few people who call me a goth cause i wear alot of black which makes me laugh at there ignorance cause i'm not even close to goth.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:24 AM   #13
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

It just sounds like the kids today are just feeling sorry for themselves. "Oooo, teacher help me, that kid just said a mean thing to me!"
Old 05-14-2003, 03:20 AM   #14
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I completely agree that bullies dont go away if you ignore them... as long as their friends take notice of what they are saying.. and someone laughs at them, they want to do it more. At my school there is basically a social order where there are three groups, the cool kids, the middle class and the "Loser" group. Basically each group bully's the group below it.. and since im in th middle class i have to admit that I have bullied people before, and whenever someone has a go at the group above them then theres usually a fight or too... and that is the ONLY time teachers get involved.... Im not sure how it happens, but it always seems that the teachers ALLOW bullying to take place, as long as you dont say or do anything to the group above you.
The teachers seriously should do something more about bullying, but I never can figure out what they could possibly do, i mean they have all sorts of bullying programs that are supposed to stop bullying completely but it just doesnt work, the whole system is based on the fact that whoever is getting bullied will come forward and tell a teacher... but that VERY rarely happens, because if it does happen the kid's who "snitched" life becomes a living hell, I ve seen it happen and it aint pretty, and that intimidates everyone into not doing anything, so that basically makes the whole system that the school has for stopping bully's useless.
Anyway now that I've just explained the how our school works IM wondering if any other schools around have this same thing happening? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 08:36 AM   #15
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
It just sounds like the kids today are just feeling sorry for themselves. "Oooo, teacher help me, that kid just said a mean thing to me!"
A well thought out reply to a serious problem.

They could always try this!

[ 05-14-2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-14-2003, 08:46 AM   #16
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
Yeah sure, thats exactly whats going on. Come to think of it, when I'm in school there's always a queue of kids outside the year tutors office waiting for their chance to squeal on the bully picking on them so they can then recieve even more physical and verbal abuse from the bully, whether it is inside or outside school.

"I'm telling teacher!" might be an action which causes the complaining infant to recieve attention from the teacher in infant schools, but I've found that doing the same in older schools is the equivalent of painting a bullseye on your chest.

[ 05-14-2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 05-14-2003, 09:14 AM   #17
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Actually, Sigs, that's no so true if you're female. I went to my head of year about my bullies and he was planning to expel one-I had written evidence of verbal abuse by others in the year, and example of the abuse I personally received over my school's unofficial website, and even CCTV showing footage of the bully picking on first years. I bought his little cronies into it, as well. They would have all been suspended, and in the case of the main one, expelled if I hadn't struck a sugary-sweet deal that gives me absoloute power over them. If one of that group so much as says my name in a nasty tone, they're OUT. The same applies if they pick on the rest of the year.

@ Khazadman: yeah, I just loooooooove going to school and getting a dozen chants of verbal abuse. You know, I have no self-confidence any more? I had to chicken out of part of my GCSE english exam, speaking to the entire class, because there was one single kid in there who hated me, out of thirty three friends, and I could well imagine that kid going to all their mates and laughing over my presentation. No, I just couldn't do it. I had to speak privatly to my English teacher, which meant I only just scraped an A-he can't let me have an A*. So, is it really "Oooo, teacher help me, that kid just said a mean thing to me!"? I don't think so, and personally I think you should stay quiet if you're going to spout unhelpful, mean, comments. Have you ever been bullied? From the sounds of it, no. I'd ask you to not participate in this thread if you can't show a single scrap of sympathy or understanding for what bullied kids have to go through.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:15 AM   #18
Raistlin Majere
Ra

my advice is to stay within a rather large mass of friends. not that the friends do much if it comes to a fight(some friends [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but usually the bullies dont bother to come pick on you when you have some friends around you(afraid of embarassing themselves, probaply).

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."