Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2002, 03:00 AM   #1
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Its a while since I did this one, and when I came back to it I went wtf? Its really random, so could someone please explain to me who I am supposed to be fighting etc.

As I see it, I enter, talk to the Merry Fools, then the Maulers come in, I talk to their leader, Then it screws up. The Maulers leader talks to me, then instead of their whole group attacking me, only he attacks me. Then another time I was trying it, their leader came up to me, then another of their number came up to me with the exact same dialog! Only seconds after the first, then they all attacked me...so I am really confused...plz help...
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 06:01 AM   #2
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmmm... have you patched the game ? Ive always had that encounter the same way, first talk to the Merry Fools, then the Maulers appear and become hostile (all of them) after talking to the leader, then my party and the Merry Fools (mainly my party ) bash the Maulers.

Oh, and the bartender becomes hostile too, at least it has always happened to me, dunno why
Old 02-11-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

This is such an awesome fight, it's great for good items and experience. I often find that the bartender turns hostile, both in BG I and II. What is incredibly annoying is if one of your party members kills the bartender or any other innocent bystander who turns hostile. Then you can start the whole fight over again
Old 02-11-2002, 12:02 PM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
(...) What is incredibly annoying is if one of your party members kills the bartender or any other innocent bystander who turns hostile. Then you can start the whole fight over again

That's the best thing about this fight, IMO, trying not to fry innocent bystanders whilst blowing the living daylights out of both the Maulers and the Merry Fools with fireballs. Yes, I always obliterate the Fools too. They're an annoying bunch IMHO.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 01:34 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

Mine happens exactly the same way that Ertai's does. I think it could be a patching problem.....

It's a decent fight, and in my game, the bartender got fried, and unfortunately, I cant know use the Inn as an Inn.

BUGGER
Old 02-11-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
Sojourner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Before I start this battle, I move my entire party away from the door, out of the bartender's line of sight. I then move my Spider's Bane-carrying party member near the door, and send one party member over to talk to the Merry Fools. As soon as the Maulers appear, my mage casts web, my other party members sling arrows and bullets, and the PC with Spider's Bane whacks away after drinking a potion of Speed. I usually take the Maulers down pretty quick, and keeping out of the bartender's line of sight prevents him from going hostile.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 04:52 PM   #7
Midget Gems

This is one of my favorite fights and I have found a good method to get maximum fun from it. I developed this after reading the excellent walkthrough by Dan Simpson so the credit goes to him.

Spoiler
Step 1 - I start with my party at the back of the Inn, there's going to be a messy fight in the lobby so you need a good starting position. Also I like to Charm the 'Waiter' and then put him in the back room so he won't get zapped when the magic starts flying around.

Step 2 - Talk to Gorpel Hind and tell him about Cloakwood. The Maulers will then start to appear in the lobby. Now talk to Gorpel Hind again - another duplicate set of Maulers will appear.

Step 3 - Buff up your party with spells and potions, then step forward to talk to Gretek, this starts the fight when the Maulers all turn 'red'. (I think you have to talk to both Greteks.) You can kill the bartender since he also turns red. Advance towards the lobby and engage the bad guys.

Step 4 - A mass brawl now takes place in the lobby. I usually summon some helpers to keep the Maulers busy, and quite often the bad guys also summon up some monsters. When the dust settles there should be about 20+ bodies strewn around, with double loot to collect.

Give this a try and have some fun.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:34 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

Just to comment dudes, this fight is a walk in the park.

You can tell who the efficient BG players are, by how easy they find their fights. My levels are always higher than they should be, as I do too many quests. And with all big fights, you should cast Bless/Chant (something of that ilk), Haste, Defensive Harmony and Remove Fear. This will turn any fight into a doddle, I guarantee.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:46 PM   #9
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

I remember this being easy the first time, but now it is really weird when only one of the Maulers attack me, and all the other Maulers attack him also...And no I dont have any patches.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 08:57 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yeah, I'll echo about keeping the brawl out of the sight range of the Bartender so he doesn't go hostile. (Actually, even if he dies, it's possible to just CLUA in another Bartender.) The Maulers usually kill the Waiter themselves, I guess they're not big on tipping the help. I've got no qualms about killing the Merry Fools either--it's THEIR fault there's a Greater Basilisk loose in the harbor, for Pete's sake!

Combat itself: I agree, while this fight is one of the largest (and most fun) in the game, if you know what you're doing it's a cinch. You can cast things like Web/Entangle/Stinking Cloud before the Maulers even show up.

But that's the normal way of doing it. On my last run through, I realized that I've never used Algernon's Cloak to win this fight....yet. So I sent all my party members to the back of the Inn, put Algernon's on my Fighter/Thief, and had him talk to Gorpel Hind. Then he went Stealth, and Charmed the Maulers one by one. Then I brought my guys back out, positioned the Maulers where I wanted them, and opened fire. Then I snapped a quick screenshot, and made my new sig. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It seems like half the major battles in the game take place on really fancy, expensive carpets. "Yay me, I just won a big fight--now who's going to wash out all that blood?" I'm not just talking BG1, I mean the whole series.....fights like Gromnir Il Khan's castle in ToB.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]