Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Don't

Quote:
WILMINGTON, N.C. - A teenager accused of robbing a student of two new Playstation 3s on the day the popular game consoles were introduced was shot to death by police sent to arrest him.

Peyton Strickland, 18, was killed Friday at a house he shared with three roommates, New Hanover County Sheriff Sid Causey said.

“If this boy would’ve come to the door, opened the door, we probably wouldn’t be talking,” the sheriff said Sunday.

Roommate Mike Rhoton said Strickland was unarmed, but may have been holding a video game controller when he went to the door as it was bashed in by officers.

Authorities promised Monday to fully investigate the fatal shooting. “No one is above the law and no one is beneath its protection,” District Attorney Ben David said. He declined to discuss details of the case.

The State Bureau of Investigation is examining the case and three deputies on the team were placed on paid leave, normal practice whenever officers fire their weapons, Causey said.

Arrest warrants alleged that Strickland, a student at Cape Fear Community College, and a University of North Carolina-Wilmington student stole two PlayStation units from another UNC-Wilmington student that day.

The sheriff said the robbery victim had waited three days in line to buy two Playstation 3 units for $641 each at a Wal-Mart. He was unloading the units at his campus apartment when one man beat him to the ground while another took the PlayStations, Causey said.

The sheriff said Strickland was shot by members of a a special police unit who went to help university officers serve warrants. He would not say why the special team was assisting.

Strickland’s dog, a German shepherd, also was shot to death.

The second man named in the warrants was arrested at another address and was released on bail on Saturday, authorities said.

The nationwide introduction of the Sony game system on Nov. 17 was marked by rowdy crowds and store stampedes. One buyer waiting in line at a Connecticut store was shot by armed robbers.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

That's harsh... Although it would be funny if the kid they took it from bribed the cops to shoot them... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

That's so sad that the German shepherd got killed.

I guess the consoles were recovered for the guy stupid enough to stand in line for three days, paying $1,923.00 + tax! Where did he get that much money as an on-campus student?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #4
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Man, these incidents are f'n stupid and happen way too often, on a side note, I can't find a ps3 anywhere
Old 12-05-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Release here has been postponed, originally it would be in the stores in December, now it's March. Kids here are going nuts.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Someone died for a PS3. This would be a great commercial for Sony.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Griefmaker
The Magister

I am a bit harsh, but I do not really have any problems with criminals being shot...It is too bad about the dog, though.

Also, Hell would have to freeze over 5 distinct times for me to wait in line for days just to overpay for a game console. If I am going to buy a system, I can wait for a couple of years and then buy everything for about half price or less (plus, by that time most or all of the bugs should be worked out).
Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Just bought the kids a PS2 to give them at christmas because they are so cheap now

Why do people want to buy a PS3? they are overpriced and not as good as the latest PC's?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Not sure either. I'd understand it if they had some unique graphics system in them but they don't. It goes to show how many people just don't understand what a PC can do, i.e. everything.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
The sheriff said Strickland was shot by members of a a special police unit who went to help university officers serve warrants. He would not say why the special team was assisting.
I heard on the radio news today that the special police who went along fully expected trouble because they had found a picture of him on the internet like a Myspace or something, showing off a wide range of guns with a friend. They expected this kid to be armed to the teeth, and so when he did not answer the door, they kicked it in, saw something in the kid's hand (maybe a PS3 controller) and felt threatened enough to take him out.

Two lessons learned from this: Don't steal other people's crap, and do not post pictures of yourself showing off firearms to appear cool.