Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2003, 04:01 PM   #1
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I was just looking in the Monster Manual (3rd Edition), looking for Balrogs, and I couldn't find them. Did AD&D ever have an official description of these demons?
Old 06-15-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Arrow

I think Balrogs are Tolkien-only. I atleast haven't heard of any AD&D-Balrogs.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
MagiK

Attalus, the 1st edition monster manual had Balrogs and full stats.
give me some time and I'll try and find some info for ya.

The first edition of Deities and Demigods also had Elric of Melnibone, Yerkoon (of elric fame) the Gods of the Elric series, Fafhred and the Grey Mouser and many more that it ended up later that they didn't have the copyrights to print...so later editions did not have these...anyway brb with the info if I can find it.

Old 06-15-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
Djinn Raffo
Ra

The first edition also had the stats to some of H.P. Lovecrafts Old Ones. Cthulhu was in it and i think Yog Sothoth.. maybe some others.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

http://www.planetadnd.com/monster_ra...er.php?mid=164

Here ya go, its fan-made, not official. That site also has a fledgling LOTR D20 conversion, one of the new feats is "Craft ring of power" Yikes!

I have the first edition MM1 MM2 and Fiend Folio and the Core Rules Cdrom,(and people wonder why I dont update to 3e) AFAIK the Balrog has never been published in official AD&D material.

Although in my opinion, the Type VI Demon, AKA Balor, in the original Monster Manual is similiar to the Balrog in both powers and the picture in the book. Plus he's got a mean whip. [img]smile.gif[/img] Perhaps the 3rd ed monster manual has it's equivilant.

Hope this help! [img]smile.gif[/img]

edit: It's odd that with all the new tolkien hype because of the movies that there isn't an official LOTR sourcebook, or maybe there is and because I don't keep up with 3rd ed. I have missed it. It seems like the kind of licensing that WOTC would eat up in a heart beat.

[ 06-15-2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 06-15-2003, 04:48 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Thanks, Chewie! OMG, what a monster! 150 HD!

Balrog
Fire, gargantuan
Hit dice: 150 (base)
Initiative: 90%
Speed: slow
AC: 0 (base)
Attacks: fire sword, whip
Damage: 1d20+10, 1d12+6

Special Attacks: Dark cloud(spell)
Special Qualities: Intimidate

Climate/Terrain: underground, caves
Organization: individual attacks
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: very expensive
Alignment: cahotic evil
Advancement: 14000 xper

General description: The Balrog is the Tolkien's creature in Moria. It is a fire demon with wings and bull horns. It has a gigantic fire sword and a powerful whip.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:57 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

No problem! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yep, it's a meanie with alot of hit-points! No wonder Gandalf had to kick it's butt all through out caves and up on mountain tops.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
MagiK

Here are the official 1st edition AD&D stats for Balrogs as seen in the first edition Monster Manual:

Type VI Demon (Balor etc....)
Frequency: Rare
No. Appearing: 1-3 or 1-6
AC: -2
Move: 6"/15"
Hit Dice: 8+8
% in lair: 20%
Treasure type: F
No. Attacks: 1
Damage Attack: 2-13
Special Attacks: Whip and Flame for 2-12/3-18/4-24
Special Defense: +1 or better to hit
Magic Resist: 75%
Int: High
Alignment: CE
Size: L (12' tall)
Psionic Ability: 180
Attack/Defense modes: a,b,c,e / f,g,f

They Shed darkness at will, cause fear as dragon fear continuously, see invisible objects, cause pyrotechnics (start fires) dispel magic, suggestion, telekenisis, symbol of fear, sleep, discord, stunning, and may gate in other type II or higher demons at will, all abilities may be used as many times as desired.

I know it doesnt sound too terrible compared to the munchkinesque 3rd edition rules, but you get a good DM and this thing will kick your ass.

Old 06-15-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
Kaltia
Jack Burton

*Snarls briefly whilst her pet mini-balrog, Smuag, hisses* *Kat, ever the fanfic writer, can be heard mumbling, "It's like crossovers!" in dismay*

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:12 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

I think between what has been presented here, the type VI Balor has more and better powers than the Balrog. The Balrog does have way more Hit Points in his favor though.

I love the Balor's shroud of fire and his many-tailed whip.
I fondly recall the first time an unfortunate player of mine got whipped by a Balor (literally) and dragged into the flames. All because he drew emnity with a Demon out of the deck of many things. Fortunately, his fear saving throw was passed and a quick teleport spell from the ring of spell storing saved his butt... that time. Ah...memories! [img]smile.gif[/img]