Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-12-2002, 06:29 PM   #1
Charean
Hathor

Okay, my workman's compensation case is over. I lost big time. No money, no therapy, nada.

A lawyer I talked to today said that my case was very iffy (my own doctor's letter shot me in the foot) so my only real recourse is to take it to the media (and my representatives in congress/senate). The lawyer suggested TV and newspaper (online if I can find consumer advocate type stuff).

My question is this. Since I am new - who should I write to? Who are the people in this town that would even listen? I can find the addresses for my reps, but are there consumer advocates or something like it on the news? And what newspaper has clout in Dallas? (For a letter to the editor type thing.)

Any help would be great. Thanks bunches.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:59 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Hi, Charean. Sorry to hear the bad news. I know nothing of this kind of thing, but Galadria suggests The Dallas Morning News, particularly columnist Steve Blow. He has a soft heart about things like this, and she and I are faithful readers. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2002, 02:11 AM   #3
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

http://www.troubleshooter.com This guy has a national radio show. Its mostly for exposing scam artists but he often hooks up people that call in for help with workmans comp and such with free consulting on the show from a lawyer, doctor etc. that have been recommended by listeners from that area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part of his bio
Tom Martino has been fighting for consumers more than 25 years in radio, television and newspapers. He is known as "The Troubleshooter" by millions of loyal fans!
His dynamic action-packed radio show can be heard on radio stations across America – syndicated by Westwood One. The show originates from Tom’s flagship station KHOW in Denver.

The show is the hottest thing on radio and Tom invented the format! On every show he blasts liars and cheaters, exposes rip-offs and investigates consumer complaints live on the air. His first radio show dates back to the 70'’ on WHUC Radio in Hudson, New York. He also worked at WGY Radio in Schenectady and made his Denver radio debut on News Radio 850 KOA.

Tom can also be seen on Fox 31 News at nine o’clock p.m. in Denver as part of the news team on the Fox-owned and operated television station KDVR. Prior to Fox, Tom appeared nightly for 18 years on Denver’s KCNC News-4. Before that he worked at WRAL-TV in Raleigh and WTVT-TV in Tampa.

Tom also wrote for newspapers, including a long-running column in the Rocky Mountain News. He now writes exclusively for Troubleshooter.com.

Over the span of his career, Tom has recovered millions of dollars for consumers in cash, merchandise, exchanges, refunds and services.

In addition to his career in journalism, Tom is a sought-after consultant on customer service. Top corporate executives from around the country have attended his popular seminars.

Martino began his career at a small newspaper in upstate New York. While at the "Catskill Daily Mail" he began one of the first consumer action columns in the country. In 1976 Tom expanded into radio and television.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here are the stations he's on for Texas....I dont see any Dallas there but if you get the number maybe you can work out the times to call in and try to get through.

KGNC 710 AM Amarillo TX 5p-8p 3p-7p
KWNX 1260 AM Austin TX 1p-3p
KWNX 1260 AM Austin TX 1p-3p 1p-3p 1p-3p
KRYS 1390 AM Corpus Christi TX 5p-8p 5p-8p
KTSM 690 AM El Paso TX 8p-9p
KURV 710 AM Harlingen TX 9p-12m
KTRH 740 AM Houston TX 1p-3p 3p-6p
WOAI 1200 AM San Antonio TX 3p-6p 3p-6p
KGNB 1420 AM San Antonio TX 1p-4p

[ 11-13-2002, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: caleb ]
Old 11-13-2002, 06:38 PM   #4
Charean
Hathor

Thank you both, I appreciate the heads up!
Old 11-13-2002, 07:49 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Jo, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss. That's really a bummer.

Ok, in Dallas, I'd contact the following:

Dallas Morning News (owned by Belo Publishing)
WFAA-Channel 8 News (also owned by Belo)
Dallas Observer (they love this kind of stuff)

I'm not sure who you'd contact as far as a local advocacy group, but I'd do a Google search on it if I were you (such as +Dallas +Consumer advocacy)

Man, I hope this helps. Nuts!

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-13-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Jim Schutz with "The Observer" would be a good choice.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:37 AM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Sazerac named most of the "big ones" in our area; the only one he didn't mention would be KRLD (1080 AM).

Were I in your position, I would also try checking through the yellow pages for any advocacy groups. The whole state of Worker's Compensation in Texas is really sad--a lot of cases that should be covered are denied while many other cases that should be denied are granted (you can see them sometimes on the news doing house work while supposedly "injured"). [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

Belle and I wish you luck in your pursuit of the medical assistance that you need.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:13 PM   #8
Charean
Hathor

Thank you all. I appreciate the assist.

Writing this letter will be the hard part, trying to be sympathetic and factual at the same time, but what the hey.

Will let you know if I get feedback.

In the meantime, I am happy that my arms aren't nearly as bad as they were before. It has been close to a year, so I can do some things, but I am not where I would like to be.

Oddly enough, my employer would take me back. It has been suggested that I apply and attempt to do the work, and when it got too bad I could try again. Have to ask a lawyer about that, but it is a consideration.

Good news is I will have a job in a month or so anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 04:23 PM   #9
MagiK

I htink they would then claim it was a pre-existing condition Jo-Monster Sounds like a sneaky trick to totaly screw you

Old 11-14-2002, 05:18 PM   #10
Charean
Hathor

Good, I would rather not go back if I didn't have to.

A project that RudeDawg is working on will provide me with work. That won't be too long from now! At least I can work from home. (The bunnies don't let me out much! LOL)