Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Letter

Free David Hicks

An Australian born from Australian and English parents, David Hicks has languished in a cell without trial for over 5 years now. 5 years of imprisonment by a regime that has turned its back on the Geneva convention, that has turned its back on every human right that it professes to hold dear, A regime that tortures this hapless Australian and boasts about it! A regime that has not charged David with any crime in the 5 years it has kept him shackled to the floor, at times in solitary confinement in a cage-like cell.

David Hicks has endured Guantanamo Bay for five years. But now this regime that holds him is under pressure for change, the only problem is the good people of this country do not know much if anything about this abused Australian.

A plea to those of you that call the USA home and care what America stands for, please contact your senator or congressman in Washington or just your local newspaper and help to either free this man or at least bring him speedily to justice in an American court with basic human rights like any other American citizen would be.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

David Hicks

Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I care. It is disgusting and appalling. I get very distressed when thinking about Hick's situation.

And you know what? Alexander Downer has a lot to answer for in this. It starts with the Aussie government. If Australia were united and demanded Hicks release it would happen. I can't believe America would let an alliance go down the toilet over one prisoner.

Every Australian should be up in arms about it. Any Australian could be held like Hicks is and the govt would do nothing it seems.

Someone should run against Downer in his own electorate making the David Hicks issue their campaign. Put the shit up Downer for sitting on his arse.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I agree.

I am in no position to comment on whether or not he is guilty, but I do think its unacceptable that he could be held for so long without trial.

Somebody needs a kick in the ass to get the ball rolling.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

This is flame bait, wellard and maybe also a waste of your time. The good people of America have no say in this. The others apparently don't care about hostages of the "abstract war". Not a war, as such, as prisoners of war are allowed the basic rights the convention dictates. Hicks is an "enemy combatant" and gets none.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Letter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
I agree.

I am in no position to comment on whether or not he is guilty, but I do think its unacceptable that he could be held for so long without trial.

Somebody needs a kick in the ass to get the ball rolling.
Yep I agree with both of you. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

To those that think 'well he must be guilty of something' then please tell me why he has not been charged or even told what those charges are! After 5 years either there is no evidence because he is totally innocent or there is evidence but after 5 years of torture and investigation they have not found any and therefore are totally incompetent.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Don't get me wrong, innocent or guilty, i think it's ridiculous. I just think that it's also like arguing with a brick wall. They'll do (or not, as it were) what they want with him regardless of international law or internal or external pressure.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Sever that is why I have not bothered posting about this for the last three years because the 'mood' in the states was not one of listening, even to its closest allies. However I do believe

1) That the vast majority of people in the USA do not know that their government is torturing an Australian or have forgotten, and that if we raise the profile of this man it will outrage many of them enough to begin to ask questions.

2) That since the elections in the USA time is now right for the government to listen to the people and do what is right and just

Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
Don't get me wrong, innocent or guilty, i think it's ridiculous. I just think that it's also like arguing with a brick wall. They'll do (or not, as it were) what they want with him regardless of international law or internal or external pressure.
Not so. Information changes minds, and changed minds shapes elections results, fear of which changes policy.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Americans, as a fovour to your allies the Australians, pleaase write to your new congressman who could legislate that Hicks be freed.