Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

I have been playing Republic Commando lately, and not only is it the best squad based first person shooter I've tried... ever, but I'm going to go as far and say it is the best Star wars game since the old Tiefighter game... my only gripe with it is how short it was, but man, the tension in the missions, I got more "Star Wars kicks" out of this game than from both Phantom menace and fisrt half of AOTC combined... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Griefmaker
The Magister

I still think the old tie fighter game was one of the best combat sims ever. There is nothing better than weaving around like a maniac for 20+ minutes while slowly taking down a Star Destroyer with a TIE fighter. That game had action, tension, easter eggs, and an engaging story line (if I remember correctly). Heck, the games does things like make you defend a ship with a sluggish TIE bomber of all things and even allows you to fly along side Darth Vader for a while (I always though he would fight better than he alway did--he was a bad wingman...)

It's too bad that there are so many young ones on the board who do not know about the games before 1998 (no offense to any young gamers [img]smile.gif[/img] ). I often mention some of the great older games, like Betrayal at Krondor (awesome game--basically an interactive novel), and am often met with silence. Oh well, I must now go off, beat my breast, and lament over the good old days .
Old 07-23-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I never got to play TIE fighter, but I did play X-Wing when it came out in 1993 (I think it was). I was second year uni then and living in a dorm. I don't think anyone on my floor got any study done that semester as we were all busy playing it. That was an awesome game for me, fantastic memories. Even better than Wing Commander.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote