Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
Griefmaker
The Magister

Hey everyone!

I am just about to get a new computer (happy land!) so I decided I would try out Morrowind again. I have tried to play this game about four times in the past, yet I always find myself getting bored and running off to greaner pastures. I am not trying to flame the game in this post. I am actually trying to find a way to enjoy a game that many do--I figure that I am just not giving the game enough of a chance.

I do like the open character creation of the game. I do like the open feel to the game, where you can do anything you want without having to follow a linear path all the time. But I am an also old-school gamer who is used to more structure in his games and I have to wonder if the open gameplay is giving me problems (I shamefully have yet to just try following the main quest, I always think that I should be able to entertain myself with subquests, but I have never kept it up for long).

One of my all-time favorite games is Betrayal at Krondor. That was a game with relatively open gameplay--where you had a main goal each chapter, but could roam the world and interact with multitudes of subquests. Each subquest provided a reward that seemed to make the subquest valuable enough to do. I have found numerous subquests in Morrowind, but many seem to offer little incentive to accomplish the task (find something for 25 septums, which is not really enough to do much with, free slaves--for no reason other than to be a good guy, etc.).

So what do you guys and girls think? Should I just try again and "fully" emerse myself as a character in this game? I usually try to have a theme that I follow (the Nordic Barbarian who only does things that benefit him, etc.) and I think if I play again I will try a Thief Guildmaster character. Or should I try to follow the main quest more? Also, does the game pick up after some time? I have really only explored the western side of the map and not done much on the eastern side or even the central parts. What successful and fun games have you guys had? I appreciate all the advice and apologize for the long and rambling post.

Thanks all!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #2
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The imagination is the only thing that seems to limit people from enjoying ES games. There's a lot of blanks that need an imagination to fill. If you immerse yourself in your character, then you won't have trouble enjoying Morrowind again and again.

Ok, so this is a shameless plug, but this thread may give you a little inspiration.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
Griefmaker
The Magister

Thanks Sever! You have inspired me, especially with that shameless plug. The idea of making a lair my home and collecting valuables (something a thief guildmaster would do) and shamelessly displaying them for the world to see is getting me excited for another round of Morrowind. I cannot wait for my computer to get here so I can actually enjoy looking at my valuables (my previous computer, may it rest in piece, was a P3 with "no" APG card! so I had crappy visuals with my PCI video card. As I said, I am old-school and used to play text RPGs, so visuals aren't important to me, but it is nice to see eye candy sometimes...) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Griefmaker my [img]graemlins/2cents.gif[/img] would definately be to go for a character with some sort of theme simply because it makes the game so much more fun Rp'ing your choices.

also IMO you cant go wrong with playing a thief as the guild has some of the coolest quests in the game
Old 04-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Griefmaker
The Magister

Good deal. Thanks for the info madman!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

For a little more structure, the guild quests are the best...especially the theives' guild...I had fun with all of the guilds in Morrowind! What I've found, though, is that my most enjoyable experience has been exploration of the game, and not just in the sense of exploring the geographic territory, but in the sense of "what can I do?"

For one character, I had a nice little roving armorer business...I'd buy steel armor, pack it to another merchant, and sell it for a small profit. That occupied several blissful hours that I can't quite explain to others

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

h, being a trader. I recall doing that with Creeper

Seriously, if you roleplay, this game can be the best ever. I remember roleplaying a Telvanni wizard that was studying different diseases, soon became fascinated with torture, and turned Necromancer... Man, it was an interesting experience!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote