Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

As many of you know, I bought a GeForce 6600 recently to replace a beaten-up Geforce III. This was causing the PC to overheat during gaming such as playing the Undermountain mod. despite the many fans that I have for intake and output. This prompted me to make two purchases. I first bought a specialty fan, a StarTech PC expansion slot video card cooling fan. It sits under my video card, right under the card's own fan and sucks all the air off of it and blows it out the back. The second thing I bought was a syringe of Arctic Silver 5. I have not yet applied this to my processor and card, because I want to see how well the fan is doing on its own.

This was the cheapest way for me to improve cooling to my system ($20), as I am not looking to keep this build much longer. I just needed it to go a little longer and let me have about 6 more months of good operation.

[ 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Are you asking something or just bragging? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I've found that it's always better to design quality airflow than to just throw money at it. While designing your airflow, keep in mind the things you cannot change(PSU fan, GPU fan if it has an outside intake/blowout), the case geometry(a thick front grill usually means no front intake) and heating components placement.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Twas a post to see what comments or questions would get thrown at it based on one's personal feelings on the matter at hand.

See? You even gave me a comment I can count as useful feedback...and I did not even have to ask a question.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I think Clay's hands have been in alot more places than he'd have Kelly believe.

Wow, the comment thing works. Hope that one was useful!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

So would asking you whether or not this post would count as a useful comment?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

What sort of case are you using Larry? Mid tower or full tower?

I find the "science" of PC cooling quite interesting as it's much more complicated than most people think.

And btw, good choice with the Arctic silver
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Interesting topic. I've recently had to remove the sides from my case due to poor airflow and subsequent lack of cooling. Funnily enough, my computer is positioned directly below an air conditioner (one that spits ice! No joke.) and it's still not staying cool during the day. The standard cooling for an X2 3800+/7800 GT just can't cope with our summers. And it's not even summer yet!
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I gotta full tower. It has exaust from the top, the panel-side, and the back. Intake from the front-bottom. I now have an additional output from the back with my new fan.

Hey...at Radio Shack of all places, I saw a really cool setup with a window-panel and the processor fan was as large as my video card! There were four huge fans in there, and they had speed controls on the front panel! It was all lit up with purple and yellow lights and made me drool a little.

[ 11-28-2006, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-29-2006, 02:04 AM   #9
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Fan on the video card helps. Make sure its tightly fitted and artic cooled.

Important to have good case design. Assuming tower case, make sure you have fan that sucks hot air our on the top of the tower and another fan that sucks cool air in from the bottom.

Air cond room helps but not necessary.

I'm not so sure if it is a good idea to open the case as this does not create good air flow.

After doing the above and the card still overheats then you might be having a faulty card. Or the temp sensor on the card might be faulty.

Hope this helps
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
Griefmaker
The Magister

I agree that the Artic Silver was a good choice. We use different types of artic silver at the company I work at for all of our tools. I think that Artic Silver 3 would have actually been a "slightly" better choice than artic silver 5 (we have found better heat transfer with AS3 than AS5--approx .09 degC/W from our experiments), but I believe that artic silver 3 is more expensive. In any case any artic silver is better than most thermal greases out there, so I applaud your decision.