Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM   #1
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

Who was he really what did he do that was so great ?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, in my opinion, nothing, but that's just me. Here is The World Book article on him.

Guevara, Che «gay VAH rah, chay», (1928-1967), was one of the most powerful members of the Cuban government under Fidel Castro. He served as minister of industry from 1961 to 1965 and directed much of the government's economic planning. Guevara was killed while leading a guerrilla band trying to overthrow the government of Bolivia.

Guevara was born in Rosario, Argentina. His real name was Ernesto Guevara, but most people called him by his nickname, Che. Guevara received an M.D. degree from the University of Buenos Aires. Guevara became a revolutionary because he believed that armed struggle was the only way to improve social conditions and eliminate poverty.

In 1954, Guevara held a minor post in the government of Guatemala. After the overthrow of the Guatemalan government that year, he fled to Mexico. While in Mexico, Guevara met Castro and joined his movement to overthrow the government of Cuba. Guevara served as a physician and military commander in Castro's guerrilla forces in Cuba during the late 1950's. After Castro took control of Cuba in 1959, he appointed Guevara as president of the National Bank of Cuba. In 1965, Guevara went to Africa, where he led a group of Cuban soldiers in support of a revolt in the Congo. He later became the leader of a band of guerrillas in Bolivia. He became a hero to many people who regarded him as an idealist.

How to cite this article:
To cite this article in a footnote, World Book recommends the following format:Louis A. Perez, Jr., "Guevara, Che," World Book Online Americas Edition,
http://www.aolsvc.worldbook.aol.com/.../ar239050.htm, June 6, 2003.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It depends on how you look at things, some people think he was great, others think he was a terrorist.

Anyway: http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~mk...links/che.html
Old 06-06-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

He was an important meber of the group that took Cuba from the dictator Fulgencio Batista. He was a communist, and Batista was a US supported dictator, so he was pretty much doomed [img]tongue.gif[/img] After conflicts with Castro, he resigned from some important moneything-job and left Cuba. When trying to do some revolution thingy in Bolivia, he was captured by US-trained Bolivian Rangers, then killed... I think of him as a hero.

[ 06-06-2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]
Old 06-06-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnarf:
He was an important meber of the group that took Cuba from the dictator Fulgencio Batista. He was a communist, and Batista was a US supported dictator, so he was pretty much doomed [img]tongue.gif[/img] After conflicts with Castro, he resigned from some important moneything-job and left Cuba. When trying to do some revolution thingy in Bolivia, he was captured by US-trained Bolivian Rangers, then killed... I think of him as a hero.
Really ? So did Ilich ramirez Sanchez, better known as Carlos. If a guy like that has Che Guevarra as his personal hero, then Che is setting a real bad example.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:28 PM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

His battle manual is a really interesting read. Too bad the site I got 'em from is discontinued.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #7
MagiK

Quote:
I think of him as a hero.

Im not arguing with you You have a right to your own opinion. I am just curious if you would share with us why you think of him as a hero?

Old 06-06-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
yeah, ok. Just please tell me you don't wear a t-shirt with the 'commonly-used-silhouette-picture' of che guevara (whilst sporting dreadlocks and a nose-ring if you want to be a truly good little Rage Against the Machiner )and hold him as a hero because he 'f**ked the system' so to speak. No really, please tell me that, you'd be doing me a huge favour [img]smile.gif[/img]
Keep in mind he was a firm believer in armed revolution in the name of absolute state control of peasantry and industry. Revolution in the name of anti-freedom. It's not all that romantic once you get past the propaganda. However, it may also be argued that the negative effects of Che's insurrectionary efforts were by and large fueled by the ferocity of American counter-reolutionary covert ops. That the strict and totalitarian controls imposed in Cuba arose from a very real need to meet the threat of foreign intervention funded by US and European companies. Revolution is one great big sh**ty mess, but whether or not Che Guevara is a hero to you or not all depends upon who you are in the social spectrum and what you stand to lose or gain by violent removal of globalised corporate investment in your country.

[ 06-06-2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 06-07-2003, 02:19 AM   #9
Grojlach
Zartan

Letter

Awg... Nowadays, t-shirts with Che Guevara's silhouette are more of a fashion statement than a political statement, anyways. Most kids walking around in one hardly even know who he was or what he stood for.

[ 06-07-2003, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 AM   #10
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

Lovisa got me one and i didnt now [img]tongue.gif[/img] but now i do [img]smile.gif[/img]