Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2001, 02:16 PM   #1
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

WARNING!!
If you are not interestd in the ramblings of a melancolic man, do not read any further!

For those of you who are brave enough to read on, here it comes..

Anyway, I was on my way home from a meeting with one of my teachers..
And he told me he didn't think I was motivated enough to study hard..
Of course I thought about it, and then when I was sitting on the subway home (a bit low, since the teacher told me I wasn't doing too well), it struck me!
What the hell am I doing in school?!
I have already wasted most of my life in school, and what for?
So I can just get some well-paid job, and work for another man, until I retire and are supposed to finally live, when I can barely make it to the toilet on my own?
Is that what life is all about?
To study, and let people press in enough information, in a very short time, so I can work the rest of my life?
I wan't to live!
To see the world!
To love!
To experience true friendship!
To live!
Isn't that what life is about?
I mean sure, people say that I can travel on my holidays.
That I can have a private life even though I work.
But I don't think I should have to sacrifice my life, just so I can get enough money so I can live the life I wan't to live!
This society isn't fitted for those who don't work.
I wouldn't be able to survive, if I lived the way I wan't, and I think that is terrible!
Life is a great gift!
It shouldn't be wasted on living like a slave, which people think is absolutely normal these days..
I feel sad when I think about this..
What is there to live for?
Old 12-05-2001, 02:22 PM   #2
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

ReGin, sounds like you have a bad case of the winter blahs. What's wrong with taking some time off? As you say, school will always be there. I met a young Swede in Europe LONG time ago, and he was doing just what you are talking about: seeing the world before settling down. Let me tell you, don't do anything just because other people want you to do it. Life's too short. Like they say. Ars longa, tempus fugit, mors profunda.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 12-05-2001, 02:34 PM   #3
MagiK

You could also opt out and work for yourself, by starting your own business if you think working for someone else is somehow less than desireable.

What is your age? If this is your first time to go through school, talk to some of the older (as in 30 or 40+) students and see how they view education and the reasons they CHOSE to go back to school....I do it because I like the learning environment and am not content to be a sheep following the heard in the corporate grind....yes I still work but I also go to school to learn new and exciting things. Perspective m'boy perspective.

Old 12-05-2001, 02:39 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Times may seem tough, but most people look back on their school days as some of the happiest in their lives. Some people can take a break from school and return with no problem, but others leave planning on coming back to school and never make it back. I say, "Stay in school".

You can live a lot of life at school! Making true friends, falling in love, having fun, and learning. All of these things can be done at school, and they are all what life is about.

I was one of those who left school thinking I would come back. RL caught me, and I never made it back, except for an occassional class, so I'm a bit biased

Life is about living! Live your life at school while you can! When school is over, you won't regret having stayed.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:42 PM   #5
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Thanks for all your response.
I'm currently in university, but I guess I'm just infected by that dreadful winter sickness [img]smile.gif[/img]
It just got me thinking, and you know how that is
Old 12-05-2001, 02:45 PM   #6
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Good, ReGin, keep your chin up! BTW I don't look on my school days as the best in my life.I hated all 20 yrs of it.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 12-05-2001, 02:51 PM   #7
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

You sound suicidal ReGin *Barb talks like a unexpieranced cop* put down the baby and edge slowly towards the ladder.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:55 PM   #8
MagiK

Just a suggestion but try getting some "Full Spectrum" light bulbs for your living areas....makes my world a much less depressive day...helps out in the Northern Scan countries too I hear [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2001, 03:01 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:

It just got me thinking, and you know how that is

Stay in school and quit thinking....um...err....You know what I mean!
Old 12-05-2001, 03:16 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Sir Regin,

I'm just seconding what Ronn said here. It is so easy to leave and not come back when you get depressed or anxious. I work in a University and see it alot. Students have a bad semester and some can take off a few months and come right back to finish but a lot of them never do. Then we hear how they wish they had but are so wrapped up in 'life' and trying to surrvive out there without the skills and experiences they might have picked up in school that they never do find time or money to finish.

School is not necessary to life, I will say that right off. Many people find work and make a good living without degrees. But as Ronn said, you can live a lot of life at school! Meet new people and learn so many things about life in general and your areas of intererest specifically!

So this is pep talk! [img]graemlins/balloons.gif[/img] If you need time off, take it, but if you can pull yourself together, cheer up a little and tough it out, you will probably thank yourself one day!

As for the class you aren't doing well in, maybe it's not a subject that stimulates your interest? Or maybe it's just a bad semester for you. Either way, consider it a lesson and move on! [img]smile.gif[/img] BEST of LUCK to you! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy