Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2001, 11:02 AM   #1
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Looking at Cloudy's PM post reminded me of a question I've had for ages re the English language.

Why, in the past few years, has everyone started using the ' for plurals (not picking on you Cloudy, this is SO common - I've seen it in huge billboard ads. In fact, I think it is because it is so common that we've all started doing it, if that makes sense [img]smile.gif[/img] .. )

How did it start? Is it to do with Microsoft grammar/spelling corrections (being wrong...)

The ' is used for possessives, not plurals.

So, these are correct:

Mandy's book, Cloudy's post, Yorick's guitar, Saz's sigs..

These aren't:

CD's, video's, PM's, 100's, 1960's, bank's, and so on. The correct usage is CDS, videos, PMs, 100s, 1960s, banks.

Does anyone know how this trend started? It seems to have gone from 0 - 60 in less than five years. As a professional writer and editor, I come across it all the time. In fact, I've started doing it myself, when I don't pay attention.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Or is there a little known rule in the English language that I am just not aware of?
Old 12-04-2001, 11:05 AM   #2
MagiK

I do it cause Im brain dead when I type [img]smile.gif[/img]

My early grammar teachers (Catholic Nuns) would beat me silly if they caught me [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2001, 11:06 AM   #3
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think you are referring to MLA form for CDs, 1960s, etc. I may be wrong, but possibly in the old Chicago Manual of Style, it may have been the other way.

Perhaps that is the difference. As in that it is correct in proper names to say the for the plural the Jones' or the Jones's.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 12-04-2001, 11:10 AM   #4
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I do it cause Im brain dead when I type [img]smile.gif[/img]

My early grammar teachers (Catholic Nuns) would beat me silly if they caught me [img]smile.gif[/img]

No, I don't think so MagiK! Everyone is doing it, but everyone! A few years ago, you would see the occasional misplaced ' which would be a genuine mistake. Nowadays, people in the UK (I don't know about other English speaking countries) use it thinking it is completely correct, - as I said, I've seen it in huge billboard ads, which means the proof readers haven't picked it up as a mistake.

Any more suggestions?
Old 12-04-2001, 11:15 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

It annoys me no end.
Glad it isn't just me that noticed this - I do it ocassionally, but am usually highly embarrassed when I discover my mistake [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2001, 11:16 AM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I've noticed it as well, recently, one of my classmates had written an essay where all of the plurals were with ' instead of just an s.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:21 AM   #7
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yup, apostrophes are only used in 2 ways-
possesive and omissive.
This means only if the described object belongs to some one, e.g Bob's hairy back, and omissive when used to omit letters, e.g
can't and couldn't
So there shouldn't be any opther apostrophes AT ALL!
Old 12-04-2001, 11:27 AM   #8
MagiK

This has all the makings of a apostrophy catastrophy

Old 12-04-2001, 11:35 AM   #9
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

When my kids were still attending public school (I homeschool them now), I would see such things on their papers. I asked the teachers about it, and I was told this was accepted policy! I argued endlessly with these ppl as I *knew* differently, but all I got in return was the 'I'm a school teacher and all you are is a parent' routine. Geez!! I have more education than a lot of those ppl *and* a great deal more language training!

So whenever I screw up, guys, it's because the typo daemon is visiting and/or I'm too lazy (or sleepy) to correct myself [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2001, 11:50 AM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ack... [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
I *know* I must have made this mistake myself on occasion, even though I know it is incorrect. The problem is, in Dutch, this *is* the correct way to make plurals out of quite a few words (especially words adopted from English). We even have spellings like "baby's" where you have "babies"! It is quite confusing. But, you are right, Cheetah, and I'll try to scour my posts for things like these even better I hate it when I make blatant mistakes in English *grumbles*