Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2001, 07:00 PM   #11
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Welcome to your doom!!! (a saying in that old game, Altered Beast)
Anyway, hello, and goodbye!

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Fish?

Old 08-15-2001, 10:07 PM   #12
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Hmmmm....seems I heard the same grumblings about 2nd Edition when it came out.
I helped playtest 3E and I have found after some initial reluctance that I like it much better than 2nd. Though I definately do not plan on buying all the books they are heaving out the print house door at us. I think part of the problem is of course the money that you would have to lay out. I have the Players Handook the DMG and the Monster Manual. I might buy Forgotten Realms and The Magic book for the realms...I should since one of my spells and one of the items I designed are in it. But I am still fighting with myself on wether or not to spend the money for it. 30.00 bucks for FG and 25.00 I think for the Magic Book. Thats some major dough as far as I am concerned.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:26 AM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Hmmmm....seems I heard the same grumblings about 2nd Edition when it came out.
I helped playtest 3E and I have found after some initial reluctance that I like it much better than 2nd. Though I definately do not plan on buying all the books they are heaving out the print house door at us. I think part of the problem is of course the money that you would have to lay out. I have the Players Handook the DMG and the Monster Manual. I might buy Forgotten Realms and The Magic book for the realms...I should since one of my spells and one of the items I designed are in it. But I am still fighting with myself on wether or not to spend the money for it. 30.00 bucks for FG and 25.00 I think for the Magic Book. Thats some major dough as far as I am concerned.

Hi there Wulfwere, I too prefer DoD3:ed but well wont or rather will try bot to open the debate again hehe, tough though! Both games are really fun.
About the books I can say this that the Books, and not the leaflets (some though) are well written and includes alot of good material. The faerun book is really interesting even for thoose that don´t play the game.
The magic of Faerun seems also really good, that special flavor of the magic of Faerun and the special zones are described here. I´m looking forward to that one! Also, there are some tables to make both 3:ed to 2:ne ed and reverse so you who like the 2:nd edition can use the books as well.

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 08-17-2001, 09:38 PM   #14
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I agree Wolfgir, they have done a good job with this edition and have fixed alot of things I thought were wrong with 2nd Ed. The art in 3E is really well done as well. The books are a joy to look at. The pamphlet style books I think are a waste of paper though. I really don't see the need for all these extra Prestige
Classes that are introduced in them. To be honest alot of the new prestige classes are pretty useless. I am currently running an Elven Monk, with a desire to take him to a Contemplative later. But we will see... I figure now I will by
The Forgotten Realms and Magic of Faerun.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:42 AM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
3e is much more flexiable

If you think 2nd Ed is NOT flexible, then it is because you have no imagination, with a bit of imagination and willingness to bend the rules, everything that 3rd Ed has can be achieved with 2nd Ed, so therefore there is no point to buying 3rd Ed if you already have 2nd Ed, I won't be changing from 2nd Ed until they make 4th or 5th Ed, unless they mess them up hopelessly, one thing that bothers me about 2nd Ed though, is the Fireball spell, it should do FAR more damage, I mean, c'mon, it's a large exploding ball of magical fire, it should FRY your enemies, not just singe their hair, maybe it should be called Lesser Fireball instead and a 7th level spell should be made that's called True Fireball, which gives 1D10 points of damage per level, with NO maximum amount of D10, now that would be cool.

Old 08-18-2001, 01:29 PM   #16
MidNight
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the response. I agree about the fireball spell. and I really don't know what to think about D3 never gamed w/ it. it sound like it might be fun i've only delt w/ D2 so i'm limited for exp in diffrent games. but severl of my friends and i do to are loctation growing up lack of money. Did alot of creation of new items spells and the like, in cluding a few new races class and a few kits. some of which we founf to already be done but that was after we did are own. we combined some of the diffrent ones from some of the varys releams.
I look forward to your forture responce and keep up the good work

MidNight
Old 08-18-2001, 11:41 PM   #17
Bleys
Dungeon Master

I still like 2ed, but I have found that 3ed is a lot simpler, I run a game at my local club during the holidays and I always get quite a few new players (It is pretty much an open game, I have about 4 regular players and the rest come and go), but the one thing I have found about 3ed is that it can be taught to a new player in 5 minutes, and the player understand them. It used to take a lot longer with 2ed and the players never fully understood the rules, which would slow the game down.

As for the fireball, you can say that about nearly all damaging weapons/spells at high levels. The group I used to play in had a great rule for solving this, it made combat more deadly and realistic so the group had to work together and plan out our combats. A single fireball could devastate the party, and a single sword blow could kill you.
Old 08-19-2001, 03:13 AM   #18
TheDutkanator

You said Southern Minnesota right? I'm in Forest Lake. It's 20 min. North of the cities. If that's too far, I wouldn't mind setting up a longterm BG2 game with you to meet on a designated day(s) each week. E-mail me to let me know!

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator
Old 08-20-2001, 06:56 PM   #19
MidNight
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That might work thougjt i dont have any real exp. w/BG2 my bro plays alot he's about 3hr north of u and i'm about 1hr or south on 35W of the cites it probly might work. If we can find a night that works I start back at college on the 27th and will be working full time but it would a need break once in awile. but will chat more and see if we can set somting up.( I live in Owatonna If you no where that is.?)

Thanks
MidNight
The Night is But a Short Break from The Light
Old 08-20-2001, 06:57 PM   #20
MidNight
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDutkanator:
You said Southern Minnesota right? I'm in Forest Lake. It's 20 min. North of the cities. If that's too far, I wouldn't mind setting up a longterm BG2 game with you to meet on a designated day(s) each week. E-mail me to let me know!