Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-04-2003, 09:40 AM   #31
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I wish people like that would die. Evil assholes. [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]
Or I wish you could teleport through the internet to where the person that runs the site is, and beat the living crap outta them
HEH!!!!! I'd definitely be for that last one Ziroc! I'd keep a *LARGE* baseball bat near my puter at all times.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 03-04-2003, 11:09 AM   #32
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I use Zone Alarm and Pc-cillin and have never had any problems. If I am feeling bored, I sometimes even use Neotrace to see who has been (unsuccessfully) scanning my PC.

Just out of interest, can anyone confirm that disabling file and print sharing and possibly also netbeui on a windows PC increases security?

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #33
andrewas
Harper

If you have anything set to share on your LAN, then it will also be shared on the internet. This is because windows is bloody stupid.

Its never advertised on the internet of course (otherwise network neighborhood would be a lot busier), but scanners can still find those shares.

You want to go into network settings, and unbind file and print sharing from TCP/IP. Netbeui and IPX dont propogate over the internet (at lease IPX doesn't, Im not 100% on netbeui) so sharing over them is safe. Well, safer. If you still want to share things over the LAN (And if you dont then you may as well disable file and print sharing totaly) you will need to install the IPX protocols on all computers.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:21 PM   #34
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
posted by Z
----------------
I wish people like that would die. Evil assholes.
Or I wish you could teleport through the internet to where the person that runs the site is, and beat the living crap outta them
even better

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-05-2003, 09:54 AM   #35
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
If you have anything set to share on your LAN, then it will also be shared on the internet. This is because windows is bloody stupid.

Its never advertised on the internet of course (otherwise network neighborhood would be a lot busier), but scanners can still find those shares.

You want to go into network settings, and unbind file and print sharing from TCP/IP. Netbeui and IPX dont propogate over the internet (at lease IPX doesn't, Im not 100% on netbeui) so sharing over them is safe. Well, safer. If you still want to share things over the LAN (And if you dont then you may as well disable file and print sharing totaly) you will need to install the IPX protocols on all computers.
What he said.

There's also a great article in the new PC Magazine(or PC World, I dont remember, Cloudy and I get both) about the '10 things you should know before running XP'. It's 10 different security holes that you should really fix before getting online. I, personally, happen to be a big fan of both MS, and Windows, but some days, I really wonder what their tech's/code writers are thinking. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

PS: Since I dont have the magazien with me, I'll have to find it when I get home and then I'll post a like to the website, if you're interested.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"