Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-26-2000, 12:30 AM   #1
Regis
Welcomed New User

Just put the link here and let him read it...

http://www.sitepowerup.com/mb/view.a...ly=1030&Page=1
Old 11-26-2000, 10:25 AM   #2
LarrytheBold

I'm about 75% through the game and for the most part it has been a joyful and satisfying experience. But as I play I keep thinking how close D. W. Bradley came in designing a real classic role playing game instead of what we actually have; i.e. a pretty good game that we will enjoy and then forget about.

It wouldn't have taken much to take this game to the next level. Without meaning to be exhaustive, some shortfalls are:
1. the quirky, cluncky interface
2. the instability (for example, on my machine it screws up my disply properties almost every time I quit the game)
3. the endless character lists ( who was that character who sent me on this quest and whom did he talk to?)
4. the need to quit your game before you can load another etc.

Of course, most of the shortfalls could have been fixed in a patch and still could for those yet to play the game. It seems, however, that a patch is not forthcoming (something about a dispute between Heuristic Park and Activision). I find this hard to swallow. All complex role playing games today even with the best quality assurance programs in place need some sort of patching. Almost certainly the responsibility and distribution of patches for this game was covered in the contract between the developer and the disributor. Probably (and this is pure speculation on my part) what happened in this case was the clause had a minimum sales number built into it before a patch would be produced and W&W has not reached this sales goal. If this is true it is self defeating because a proper patch, as I have already stated, would make this game a real gem and the game's reputation would skyrocket, equating to vastly increased sales.

Ah, what could have been!

Old 11-26-2000, 11:12 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

There is a patch in the works!!! There are two posts on the forum about the coming patch. I'll try to bump them back to the front page so you can find them. They will not address all the problems in the game but hopefully they will address the more serious problems thus allowing more people to enjoy this not quite (but could have been) classic.

I agree with you - this game was right on the border of being excellent and it is a shame that the resources needed to make that difference were not invested. I often wish game companies would listen more to the players!

Wyv
Old 11-26-2000, 02:05 PM   #4
Junker

They should have done the patch a month ago(or fixed the problems before realease)...As it is now most of us has already finished the game..And as I see it almost none of the issues you are discribing in your post are going to be fixed....I can only say this, they shouldnt have realesed the game....And as a little help, I think most of the problems (Bugs)in the game arise when players do stuff they(developers) didnt think the players would do..(getting to B before A)

And be cautios,,(dont kill an NPC unless you are ABSOLUTLY sure u wont need him later)I have read it in several posts people who cant continue their Quests because they killed that NPC...I think its so so stupid, people that are saing they are no Quakers, Just because they are playing W.W !!!!??? And then they go out and kill everything they meet just to get an extra 1000xp..No for you guys ,,this game is always going to seem buggy..LOL