Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-17-2000, 12:59 AM   #1
The Inquisition

Oh I am sure I will find more! I am also an old-timer when it comes to CRPG's (Zork on a Com 64 was my first). Played Wizardry 5, 6 and 7 and I can see the huge influence in this one (I can't believe D.W. comes so close on some of the names, Ratkin - Ratling LOL).

I will say this much, I have been playing Asheron's Call since May, and loved it a lot. But it is also so much fun to play an old school RPG like this one. Party system, phased "please give me time to think" combat, quests that actually mean something, and if the game crashes while you are running you are not freaking out (players of MMOPRPG's know what I am talking about). It is just a breath of fresh air.

Who knows how long I will stick it out with the game in it's present state. I hope the patch is on it's way (oh, and did I mention that I am an "inverse-mouse" person?). I really like the story of this one.

Old 11-17-2000, 10:39 AM   #2
The Inquisition

I just started playing this week, and I have a couple of questions right off the bat.

1) Manual says to not run around too much at night. I agree (even with my Whiskas and/or torchlight). I get turned around, and run into things I might have avoided if I could have seen them coming. But the problem is... I do not see a "Rest" option anywhere, so how do I pass through the night without adventuring?

2) How do ladders work? I found myself at the old millhouse, climed up the ladder to the top no prob. The problem was climing down. I don't understand how that works. The best I could do was hit maybe two rungs by sheer chance, then falling to my doom. Is there a trick to using ladders?

Old 11-17-2000, 10:51 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Alas, Inquisition, you have happened upon two of the major gripes in the game.

There is no way to rest for the night. You can stand around and just wait for it to pass but it is sooooo long. Just try to keep the mini map displayed on the left to prevent yourself from getting too badly turned around and adventure cautiously.

Ladders, I've seen various posts on this board that describe various ways to handle the ladders, perhaps they work, but they are so complicated and time consuming that they are not worth it. Jump and heal like the rest of us.

Wyv
Old 11-17-2000, 10:58 AM   #4
Astyanax12

Well you've hit on two of the main gripes we old timers have had with this interface:
1. There is no way to 'rest', you just have to wait in realtime or take the risk.
2. Ladders are nearly impossible to go down, someone did manage to figure it out but it was so convoluted it's easier to just fall down and take the hit, (search on 'ladder' if you really want to know)
And that's just in your first week! What will you find by the end of the month?

Having said that - it's still a pretty good game, have fun.

Old 11-17-2000, 11:00 AM   #5
Astyanax12

D@mn, Wyvern beat me again!

Old 11-17-2000, 11:23 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Not by much, Astyanax!!!!

And considering how very similar our posts are: GMTA!!!!!

Wyv