Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2002, 12:15 PM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Okay, well the last one didnt work out too well
But never the less I am interested what people think about Bush's visit to Europe, lol from the pictures a lot of germans were not to happy about it.
Keep this flame free or I am deleting it (I hope I can do so) or get a mod to lock/delete it.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:19 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, Azzie. [img]smile.gif[/img] As he said: keep this FLAME FREE and no trolling! Other than that, the discussion is open.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
Okay, well the last one didnt work out too well
But never the less I am interested what people think about Bush's visit to Europe, lol from the pictures a lot of germans were not to happy about it.
Keep this flame free or I am deleting it (I hope I can do so) or get a mod to lock/delete it.
I didn't watch it on TV. Personally I think you can have too much Bush on the box.

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-24-2002, 02:24 PM   #4
Alexander
Drow Warrior

I find it odd how everyone seems to think that Bush is a menace except a certain number of Americans. Obviously this means nothing to those people, but a successful foreign policy demands that a president be well-received when he goes to a nation allied with the USA.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:26 PM   #5
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

You're right many germans (especially students) don't like Mr. Bush or the USA either. Usually it boils down to the fact that 'War is not the Answer'. Its simply not possible to fight terrorism with war's. But most important War is always unjust. And the war in Afghanistan was'nt about Justice it was about Revenge.

It has never been proven that Osama Bin Laden was involved in the 11.09. Incident and even IF he was (and i doubt it) the attack and the war in Afgahnistan is unrighteous. This way the USA managed to create an extremly dangerous (hm. the german word is Präzedensfall, i am not sure of the english one) Precedence for future attacks.

Another thing is, however, the US-american thread to world-peace. It starts with Axis of evil and ends with Mini-Nukes (You are on the best way to make an atomic war possible !!!!!! imagine !!). I hope this time our Chancellor won't join the USA in this war.
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:28 PM   #6
MagiK

dammit, just when I get really mad at him he goes and says something so damn adorable I have to agree with him...

"yes there can be too much bush on the box."

And no I have seen almost nothing of the presidents trip to Germany on TV for some reason.

Old 05-24-2002, 02:31 PM   #7
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
I find it odd how everyone seems to think that Bush is a menace except a certain number of Americans. Obviously this means nothing to those people, but a successful foreign policy demands that a president be well-received when he goes to a nation allied with the USA.
Actually Alex, he only has to get along iwth the politicians and rulers of said country, what the children of that country think is pretty much irrelevant to the issues, ...now once you are talking about the people who are old enough to vote..they come in to play 0nly during election years or if there are enough to oust the current government.....it may sound cynical but it is true.

Old 05-24-2002, 02:43 PM   #8
Charean
Hathor

There are a few Americans... I being one.... who really do not like anything Bush stands for. I think he is a menace as well... but right now I am stuck with a Republican government I did not vote for. Blah.

No wonder I quit watching the news... I am disgusted.

There are a lot of us who think Bush is a joke. If they had to elect one, the BROTHER had the brains.... [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 02:57 PM   #9
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Of course, part of it can be put down to cultural differences. Many of the things Bush says will inspire Americans and will repel Europeans - Germans at least, not sure about the rest. Among others, the tendency to speak about "good and evil" when referring to world politics... we just don't do that. Also, German history as opposed to US history probably explains why we're not exactly happy with the idea of going to war - with the Iraq, Iran, anyone. And finally *rant*, Bush talking about the "Axis of Evil" comes over as just plain tactless and exaggerating in Germany. We *know* our history, we *know* the atrocities committed by Hitler and the Nazis, and with all due respect, North Korea, Iraq and Iran do *not* compare. Never to mention that fact that referring to the "Axis of Evil" makes it seem that the three countries mentioned are *worse* than the Axis in WWII. So - I'm not a Bush fan by all means...
Didn't watch TV but did hear quite a bit about Bush's visit on the radio - more about the protests though, less about what he said.

[ 05-24-2002, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Kaz ]
Old 05-24-2002, 03:00 PM   #10
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Of course, part of it can be put down to cultural differences. Many of the things Bush says will inspire Americans and will repel Europeans - Germans at least, not sure about the rest. Among others, the tendency to speak about "good and evil" when referring to world politics... we just don't do that. Also, German history as opposed to US history probably explains why we're not exactly happy with the idea of going to war - with the Iraq, Iran, anyone. And finally *rant*, Bush talking about the "Axis of Evil" comes over as just plain tactless and exaggerating in Germany. We *know* our history, we *know* the atrocities committed by Hitler and the Nazis, and with all due respect, North Korea, Iraq and Iran do *not* compare. Never to mention that fact that referring to the "Axis of Evil" makes it seem that the three countries mentioned are *worse* than the Axis in WWII. So - I'm not a Bush fan by all means...
Didn't watch TV but did hear quite a bit about Bush's visit on the radio - more about the protests though, less about what he said.
I agree, I think is press people goofed big time in prepping him for Germany....I don't always agree with Republican policy...the reason Im a Libertarian....