Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2002, 01:17 PM   #41
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:

And for your final point - I will try and remember they are criminals. You try and remember they are people.

Fair Enough.

I've already agreed that Life Imprisonment is the better choice for Ms. Mallard. Since she doesn't have a history of killing people, it IS possible that she may NOT present a future danger to society... but she SHOULD spend the REST of her life paying for the cold-hearted decision to let this man slowly bleed to death in her house.

AFA my "..remember they are CRIMINALS" statement, that was a generalized rant directed at how our court system treats criminals. Lawyers try to convince the judge that it isn't their clients fault that they broke the law...rather the blame lies with society itself. That argument is just total and complete BULL CRAP in my opinion.
Anyway, that's a topic for a different thread.

Finally, I disagree that EVERYBODY is redeemable. We've seen too many cases here in America of sociopathic serial killers that are totally UN-redeemable. Ted Bundy, by his own admission, killed over 100 young girls during his lifetime. Wayne Gacy killed young boys and buried them under his house. Jeffrey Dahmer even ate his victims.
The fact is, there are some people that WILL present a constant threat to society as long as they are allowed to live.

Ted Bundy was once put in jail more on 2-3 different occasions before finally being caught and sentenced to death in Florida. In fact, he had been in jail for over 2 years just prior to the killing spree at the soririty house in FL that got him captured for good. Up until that time, he had killed his victims one at a time (except for one documented case where he captured and killed 2 girls at the same time)
But after being "cooped-up" for over 2 years, he simply couldn't exercise that much control anymore and had to literally go on a killing spree.

We have a saying here in the South that applies to people like that...
"He needed killin'" Some criminals are simply too dangerous to leave alive.

So I stand by the practicality of my previous argument...but I agree with you that it does not apply in this specific case.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:28 PM   #42
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
What a very sick person. She must be very messed up in her head, complete psycho.

Why, because the action is incomprehensible? Why remove her from blame simply because the action is psychotic and sick?

It is completely horrific and inhuman. Unthinkable and sick, but she had enough self awareness to drive the car. Enough mental retention skills to recollect the story, enough hearing ability to analyse the sound waves and determine the man was moaning for help.

Actually, I've changed my mind. I agree with you. She's messed up. What I don't agree with is that that should in any way diminish responsibility for her actions.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 03-12-2002, 01:54 PM   #43
Azred
Drow Priestess

When it comes to deciding upon a correct punishment for those who have committed the really violent crimes (armed robbery, murder, etc) I often wonder why no one uses EXILE anymore. Pick an uninhabited island way off out in the South Pacific, hundreds of miles from any other island, and just dump them there. Why bother locking someone up for their entire life when the taxpayers are having to foot the bill for their food, their medical care, their clothing, and to pay guards to watch them? Save the money for something else.
Who gets exile and who gets the death penalty? Base this upon the individual case: Chante Mallard - exile. Andrea Yates - death penalty (and give Russell Yates a vasectomy).

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:46 PM   #44
GEEK
The Magister

Azred, as loose as our borders are in the US we would end up getting them all back if we exiled them. We can't even keep terrorists out much less a flood of criminals bent on revenge for being exiled. Also other countries would complain about our criminals making it to thier countries. Remeber, when there is a will there is a way, and criminals will find a way to get off the island. I like the idea of it though. I hate having to pay for them with tax money. We just need a better place to put them, like Canada, J\K.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:58 PM   #45
SecretMaster
Apophis

How horrible, such a cruel way to die. Pardon my french, but here's a few words that I'd like to say.

Don't read if offended by profanity
You motherf*ckin ahole you deserve to die you F*cked up pycho. Hope you have the most horrible f*ckin death ever in the whole damn history you big piece o sh*t!!!!
Old 03-13-2002, 10:58 PM   #46
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Azred, as loose as our borders are in the US we would end up getting them all back if we exiled them. We can't even keep terrorists out much less a flood of criminals bent on revenge for being exiled. Also other countries would complain about our criminals making it to thier countries. Remeber, when there is a will there is a way, and criminals will find a way to get off the island. I like the idea of it though. I hate having to pay for them with tax money. We just need a better place to put them, like Canada, J\K.

Or they might be able to get student visas that never run out and are never questioned. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

You're right, though--they'd find a way out. That guy (I can't remember his name right now) escaped from Alcatraz (and I believe he did make it), so making it off an island wouldn't be much more difficult. Oh, well...it was a thought.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:50 AM   #47
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

quote:

Richard Alpert, a Tarrant County assistant district attorney, said he couldn't describe his feelings. "I'm going to have to come up with a new word," he said. "Indifferent isn't enough. Cruel isn't enough to say. Maybe we've just redefined inhumanity here."
Mike Heiskell, a Fort Worth lawyer representing Miss Mallard, said he thinks the prosecutors are overstepping "reality" in charging his client with murder. "I believe the law will shake out that this was simply a case of failure to stop and render aid."

well i was suppose to reply until something came up and had to do that first, when i came back the IW went down.. kinda sucks. anyway i want to voice out some ethics and philisophical arguments. i try to look at it as a whole therefore i hope none of you guys/gals will get angry and start a flame war or something. i wish to look at it from different perspectives.
1) the forgiving
2) the justice
3) the vengeful
4) the fanatics

this is how i categorized it. it is kinda funny actually (not the incident) but our lives as people. when you think the person has done the impossible, worse act of human person... to be called inhuman. each of us has a view and all of us respect it (well i do) even though you sometimes cannot find any logic in their actions.

those people who wish to forgive, im sure you would just want to give the gal a break after all it is her first time and it is not our right to act. okayyy, lets play what IF, she indeed became rehabilitated, was approved and was released and became your neighbor. even the most forgiving, will feel a LITTLE nervous becoming her neighbor. how would you feel every day/night that you would leave the house knowing (whether or not you are single, married, family, friends) might be in danger and would be the next victim. how would you feel sleeping every night that knowing one time you might be able to stay awake. how would you feel if people like her would just roam free.

i do admit that there are people who are complete as*h*le that they cant be rehabilitated no matter what because it is what they believe in. i do admit the some (if not most NOT all) get out of rehabilitation still the same. know why? because society does not give this people a chance. the people who just look for work but was turned down because of what? past behavior? past history? everything is past yet people still look at it in the present.

for those people who wish for justice, legal precedence. her single action towards death, life imprisonment. it is kinda funny how you look at it. you spend all your life with having just a life (with a few mistakes here and there but nothing major) and just ONE single action that is outside of society's norms can kill you or worse. i mean, is it kinda unfair that you are just living your life and a single happening can just kill you (although something called ACCIDENTS occurs but this is different).

you should know that there are also people here who had major problems in their life. it is wasnt because of help and understanding, they would be still in jail rather than posting here in IW [img]smile.gif[/img]

for the vengful. the death penalty and other torture devices all of you people have in your minds waiting to skewer her alive. who are we who have the right to destroy someones life. who are we to take another life. how would you feel (for example although we all know that we didnt do anything) that you would be the one in the death chair all alone and no one to comfort you. how would you feel that someone just came up and just said, "i want to kill you". "DO NOT DO TO OTHERS THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO HAPPEN TO YOU" (or something like that [img]smile.gif[/img] )

for the fanatics, well, can you reason with them?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

im sure alot of you guys will say, okay, so what? i just presented different view, (well some only) and what am i trying to say. well for my own personal opinion, i say that instead of you guys trying to say what you guys want. i just wanted to tell you that all of us must try to understand what made her do what she just did. she was a nurse and had a medical profession. what is the reason that led it? could it be that she has seen so much death and was depressed. was she sick of life. was she pressured by fellow workers? WHAT MADE HER DO THAT? inhuman- the act that is not a human act OR is it just the act that is not in the societys norms? cannibalism, pagan sex, satanist for example? our society brings up the current issues that is true but most of them just look at the today's and disregard the past. our society is morally decaying and there is more violence now than ever. could this also be a cause that drove her to her action. before the news, none of us cared or heard of the homeless guy. now there is great (exagerated) despair to some people saying that this homeless guy should not have died like that it is horrible. well he was living everyday trying to survive, homeless, eveyrday suffering, alone (well im sure he had a few friends). im kinda sad to those poeple just critisize the current issues like this one but doesnt do anything about it.

pant pant... i think i went a little overboard.. hope none got offended.. peace.. and this is just my thoughts.

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-17-2002, 02:08 AM   #48
TheThing
Banned User

It is really shocking and disturbing. It is not wrong to be scared and feeling guilty, or even fearing punishment, but it is the action that dictates the moral. I am sorry that two more people died this day.