Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-22-2002, 01:20 AM   #21
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by fable:
By the way, Yorick, did you get a chance to see the giant Christmas tree in front of Radio City Music Hall, while it was still beautifully decorated? This is an NYC tradition dating back more than three quarter's of a century (not much by European standards, I know, but still...), and they do a fabulous job on that tree in front of the outdoor ice skating rink. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Alas no. I only got back two fridays ago.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-22-2002, 01:28 AM   #22
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Yorick, are you trying to say that it's colder than a Brass toliet on the shaddy side of an iceburg?

No. It's cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey.

Old 01-22-2002, 01:53 AM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Another Aussie mate here exclaimed to me today his bewilderment that the majority of the earths people live through really cold weather like this. He said "why didn't they (humans in the past) all just move to the equator or something?"

Old 01-22-2002, 02:03 AM   #24
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

Hey all you Aussies. Move to Texas. We've got the best climate going. Until August. LOL
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-22-2002, 02:03 AM   #25
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Another Aussie mate here exclaimed to me today his bewilderment that the majority of the earths people live through really cold weather like this. He said "why didn't they (humans in the past) all just move to the equator or something?"

I have very, very occasionally wondered out loud to my wife (when we were both living down in Missouri, her home state) why her Bavarian ancestors chose to move there. It's hot and muggy in the summers, and bitterly cold and snowy in the winters: the worst of both worlds. The way I figure it, some 19th century Prussian taskmaster instructed all his recruits to find the worst spot in the world to settle, and St. Louis, Missouri was what they decided upon.

This, of course, earns me my wife's undying gratitude.

More seriously, I have to wonder why people would settle in, say, Amarillo, Texas--another spot gifted with extreme temperatures; or Lubbock, Texas, the so-called "dust capital of the USA;" or International Falls, Minnesota, known for being the coldest spot in the continental USA. These are not places any sane person would go to, unless they were transported there behind bars.

I suspect this is one of those great mysteries that shall accompany me to my grave.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:51 AM   #26
Thoran
Galvatron

NYC winters are pretty mild in comparion to the rest of the state. I went to school in Potsdam NY and two years in a row had low temps in the -30f vicinity (-60 wcf because it's very breezy up there). I'm origonally from south of Buffalo and they can get snow like nowhere else I've ever been. Went up for Christmas eve dinner one year and there was no snow on the ground. Ate dinner and chatted for a couple hours (maybe 4 total) and when we came out to drive home the snow was pushing over the hood of the car as we drove (over two feet in just a couple hours)

These days my house is in Elmira, which has winters similar to NYC, but even so I'm enjoying spending this winter in Irvine... the city is about as pleasant as you can imagine climate wise. Winter days rarely below 60f, summer days rarely above the 80s and always a nice breeze. If you live here you know why people live in the more extreme climate areas... because the nice spots are so crowded with people there's no room to fit in edgewise.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:59 AM   #27
Gray Mage
Banned User

Yorrick,

How did you like that blast of snow we got yesterday? Where in Manhattan are you working?
Old 01-22-2002, 12:08 PM   #28
Durwyn
Elminster

I'm NYC as well and well, the snow was really good and all, but its MELTING!!!! nooooo ...
Old 01-22-2002, 12:33 PM   #29
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

True, all the cars sit in traffic queues with their engines running - does a lot to warm the place up....

Good, isn't it. I often think they do it on purpose sometimes, they see all of us pedestrians shivering and they start revving their engines. Let it never be said that car drivers have no sense of social conscience.

And Yorick? I am a student, what is this "work" you are referring to? Please explain what it is as I am completely stumped (Mwhahahahaha!!! ).
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-22-2002, 12:41 PM   #30
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Mage:
Yorrick,

How did you like that blast of snow we got yesterday? Where in Manhattan are you working?

That looks like Gray Mage's sig I thought! And it is! Haven't seen you in a while, just wanted to say hi!