Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I have a small second HD I've added to my machine, but I noticed the page file is in the middle of the drive(the drive is 5 gig). I tried using Norton's to move the pagefile.sys to the beginning of the drive, but it defragmented (speed disc) without moving the pagefile. I removed the pagefile from the drive, reformatted it, and then put the pagefile on it first, but it is still in the middle of the drive?

Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Windows will prevent you from touching that file. You could disable the pagefile, and then hope that when you re-enable it that it will be created where you want it. Or if you have another OS, you could try moving it from there. Except NTFS is not a 100% open systenm I'm not sure anything exists to defrag it from another OS.

TBH, I wouldn't bother. Theres not going to be much if any performance gain from moving it.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

The time difference between the end of a 5GB hard Drive and the Start of it is 1/10000th of a second. so the Time taken to activate your Page file system is the same from where ever it is on the Drive. And remember Hard drives dont work like record players or video Tape just because the display says its at the begining doesnt mean anything. Everything Put into all Computers Hard drives are placed in addresses on the disk not a position. What you see when you get a picture of your hard drive in the defrag picture is just a virtual picture so that your brain can understand what it should look like not the way it really is. so don't try to place things in the drive the way you think they should look because what you may be doing is slowing it down and spreading the imformation into a configeration that in fact May just slow everything down or freeze it up instead. Remember what you consider the front part of the drive may in fact be the middle because the stylas centers the disk as refrence "0" or in our world the begining so in fact it sound like you have placed the pagefile.sys at the true begining not the virtual begining where you are trying so hard to place it.

After 24 years of computer & Electronic repair
I know how everything inside works.
I'm just now learning the launages of computers
and programing, the easy part of computers that
just takes the longest.
But I can tear one completely apart de-solder
every piece and put it all back together again
and it will work. I do it every Day, so as they
say stop beating a dead horse.

[ 04-21-2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 04-22-2004, 12:56 AM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

First, you need to define a fixed space for the pagefile, say for example 1GB. Otherwise the file will shrink/grow as you starts to use therefore making it a little messy to manage.

Second, you need to have Norton Utility (As far as I know), run Speed Disk and select the option to place the pagefile in the front. Then execute the optimization and wait for it to finish. (Might take several hours if you have a high capacity HDD)

[edited]
Also, you might want to check out tips on how to optimize your pagefile here. There is also a tip on the page on how to manually move the pagefile but I prefer not to do something dangerous with Regedit.exe

[ 04-22-2004, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]