Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2003, 02:04 PM   #21
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

daan, I can't really see how any of the things you mention are a problem. Just wear goggles if you wanna swim with your lenses. Just put your glasses on if people wanna do something unexpected at night.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:13 PM   #22
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
daan, I can't really see how any of the things you mention are a problem. Just wear goggles if you wanna swim with your lenses. Just put your glasses on if people wanna do something unexpected at night.
Maybe not a problem for you, Vaskez, and certainly not an insurmountable problem, but I'm sure most people recognize it can be a problem none the less. Basically, it's all a matter of personal preference. It would certainly be a waste of your money based on your feelings, but it's going to be the best investment I've ever made. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

In 33 years of "corrected" vision I've found that carrying backup glasses on a camping trip is a real hassle, as is carrying a backup pair while boating, or skiing, etc. Both glasses and contacts lenses suck while on a hiking trip. Having glasses fog up in a jacuzzi and avoiding steam rooms and saunas all together at the gym is quite inconvenient. Not being able to drive if you lose your lenses is something you can't work around until the doctor's office opens.

Prescription sunglasses are also a hassle. Nothing sucks like walking across a half mile of parking lot on a bright sunny day to get to an amphitheater for a concert, only to realize once inside the gate that you have on your sunglasses and not your regular glasses. Some how when the sun goes down on an outdoor concert sunglasses just aren't the ticket. Of course there are self tinting lenses available, but they are too light in the sun and too dark indoors.

Oh yeah, and there is really nothing quite as sexy as having to interrupt a "romantic interlude" because sweat got in your eye, and your contact lense suddenly feels like a large piece of glass rolling around your eyeball. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

There are thousands of examples how glasses and contact lenses are a pain in the rectum, but if they work for you in a trouble free manner that's never caused any inconvenience, then that's really great.

Everyone is different, and I, for one, can't wait to shake off these chains.

[ 08-07-2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 08-07-2003, 04:48 PM   #23
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by daan:
It would be great to just be able to see throughout the night though, definetly when you end up sleeping in a tent.
It's either sleeping with your lenses in ( and all the eye-doctors in my family would beat me to death if they found out I do that ) or removing them and be annoyed when all of the sudden people have the urge to do something unexpected after you removed your lenses.
You can actually get a new type of lens that you can wear for 30 days without taking them out at all. I've read a few things about them; generally people say it's more comfortable to take them out at night anyway, but you can safely wear them through the night if you want to. They'd be handy on camping trips and the like I think [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2003, 08:08 PM   #24
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

In 33 years of "corrected" vision I've found that carrying backup glasses on a camping trip is a real hassle, as is carrying a backup pair while boating, or skiing, etc. Both glasses and contacts lenses suck while on a hiking trip. Having glasses fog up in a jacuzzi and avoiding steam rooms and saunas all together at the gym is quite inconvenient. Not being able to drive if you lose your lenses is something you can't work around until the doctor's office opens.
I've done two 2-week 180km and 160km hiking trips and had glasses and contact lenses with me. I didnt even use the glasses just put the contacts in first thing when I woke up and took them out when I went to sleep. No problem with that. LOL I've never worn glasses in a jacuzzi. I dont need to see in a jacuzzi, as long as I see well enough not to sit on anyone Have also been in sauna. Also about the last line: solution is not to lose your lenses. I've never lost any. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:

Prescription sunglasses are also a hassle. Nothing sucks like walking across a half mile of parking lot on a bright sunny day to get to an amphitheater for a concert, only to realize once inside the gate that you have on your sunglasses and not your regular glasses. Some how when the sun goes down on an outdoor concert sunglasses just aren't the ticket. Of course there are self tinting lenses available, but they are too light in the sun and too dark indoors.
Well just wear contacts and normal sunglasses on top. Or wear a hat with a brim that shades your eyes - works just as well.

Quote:

Oh yeah, and there is really nothing quite as sexy as having to interrupt a "romantic interlude" because sweat got in your eye, and your contact lense suddenly feels like a large piece of glass rolling around your eyeball.

There are thousands of examples how glasses and contact lenses are a pain in the rectum, but if they work for you in a trouble free manner that's never caused any inconvenience, then that's really great.

Everyone is different, and I, for one, can't wait to shake off these chains.
I've never had any problems with contacts during romantic interludes But I agree that it would be nicer to have naturally perfect vision. I used to hate glasses and lenses and this annoyance surfaces whenever I have to shell out for glasses or spend time going for sight tests. Oh well. I'm not saying they've never caused inconvenience but you just said how much the operation is setting you back as well as the pain and not being able to rub your eyes. I can't imagine not rubbing my eyes when I am sleepy in the morning. It would be much more frustrating than wearing glasses IMO. BTW hope you dont think I'm trying to be argumentative, just my way of discussing
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 08-07-2003, 08:25 PM   #25
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:

quote:

Well just wear contacts and normal sunglasses on top. Or wear a hat with a brim that shades your eyes - works just as well.

[/QUOTE]Yep. I was thrilled to get my contacts because I could finally buy attractive sunnies and wear them and see clearly at the same time. I've never really been into sunnies because of needing glasses, now I'm liberated in a sun-smart fashion! It's pretty hard to get nice prescription sunnies as well. There's lots of good frames for real glasses, but sunnies require a different type of shape and material that I, at least, couldn't get. Which may sound shallow, but hey, I like fashion! And it's annoying to not be able to have fashionable sunnies.

I think I'd have trouble with the no-rub thing as well. I get hayfever which affects my eyes quite a bit and I do rub them often enough. It would be hard not to too, since it's not a terribly conscious thing - when I have an itch, I rub it! The most annoying thing I find with contacts actually is putting them in. Not the actual putting them on my eye, although it took me a while to get used to doing it, but making sure my fingertips are totally free of little fibres and specks of stuff that will get on the lens and irritate my eye. Nothing worse than popping one in and getting that little shooting pain and not being able to keep my eye open because there's a weeny fibre on the underside of the lens scratching my eyeball. And while I'm used to putting them in, it's still a bit traumatic having to hold my eyelashes back - I feel like they're going to pop out! So it's annoying to have to take the lens out and start over sans fibres.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #26
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Yeah I Know what you mean about some little dirt on the lens REALLY irritating the eye. Opticians also say that men are terrible when it comes to their eyes and they are often worse than women putting contacts in. However I've never had eyes that are sensitive to touch so can poke around in them for ages without it getting annoying
Old 08-07-2003, 11:00 PM   #27
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

No problem V, I hear where your coming from on the issue, and I didn't mean to seem argumentative either. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As far as solutions to contact and glasses hassles, there's always a solution, and I've been using them for 3 decades without too much of a problem. The joy of lasic will be not having to "work around" my eyes anymore. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Looking back, I remember the same since of joy and excitement in anticipation of getting contact lenses for the first time in 1980 that I'm anticipating now as I head into my lasic procedure tomorrow morning. I knew then, as I know now, that there are drawbacks, some expected, some unexpected, but feeling the positives, for me, far outweigh the negatives. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, I don't guess I'll get to discuss it anymore this week. I have to go to bed now, so I can get up in 6 hours to make the hour or so drive(probably more like 2 in rush hour traffic) to the doctor's office. I'm scheduled at 0830am (Eastern US), and one of the temporary drawbacks to the procedure is that I've been encouraged to avoid the computer for the whole weekend. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2003, 05:27 AM   #28
Moiraine
Anubis

Ronn, I hope the surgery went well ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I will be away in vacation when you come back to IW, wanted to say this before I go. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #29
daan
Silver Dragon

I agree that all of my arguments are mostly for vanity [img]smile.gif[/img]
I dont even own glasses anymore, I just have lenses .. and when in the middle of the night I have to get out of the tent there are usually girls involved and I'd rather not wear glasses even if I had them. I dont really have the face for glasses, sunglasses usually look kinda ridiculous on me too [img]tongue.gif[/img]
And I just want to swim like I used to without anything to worry about or goggles or any other nifty tools to help.

And yeah, there are quite a few new developments in lenses. Newest IIRC are specially shaped lenses you wear during the night. They do not correct your vision through being a lens, but instead "mold" the eye into a shape that will allow you to see without lenses or glasses the next day.
So you wont be able to see at night, but normally and without help during day.

The 30 days lenses mentioned are still quite new and personally I wouldnt recommend them. The problem with keeping lenses in during night is mainly the lack of oxygen reaching the Cornea. 30-day lenses are better in that respect then "normal" lenses, but not really suited for continuous use. There's still a relatively big blockage of oxygen going to the Cornea.
Dont get me wrong, they're great and o.k. to use once in a while,.. but personally I wouldnt recommend it for long-term use .. it could be damaging to the Cornea.