Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #51
Chewbacca
Zartan

Light Bulb Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
In my opinion for these kind of discussions to work people need to spend less time stating what they believe in and more time telling why they believe in something and why it's right for them.

In other words; share a little of yourself. This is the kind of discussions which can only work in a "sitting at the fireside with a good friend, enjoying a good drink." kind of mood. Less soapbox and more open heart.
I wish it worked that way, but often it doesn't. I do admire your faith in humanity and vision for how things could work. I simply cannot overlook history and human nature. Therefore I am not particularly swayed.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #52
Chewbacca
Zartan

Ha ha! Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
You didn't come off rude at all.

Luvian, what does "calling" out mean? No-one has done anything to Chewbacca, except give him the friendly advice that if he doesnt want to be part of this topic, which he has stated it seems, then he should leave. The rest of us shouldn't have to have a topic closed, because he doesnt want to be in it.

Think you have your wires crossed Luvian.

I must say, I feel my 5+ rationales and opinions are totally reinforced in the face of "if you don't like the thread stay out" You'll have try harder to persuade me if you would like me to leave.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #53
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Default Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Almost the same here in my situation, people have been giving me the strange stare when I told them I don't believe in a god. Though thanks to my family's status and position in the society, nobody dared to verbally abuse me in front of my face, perhaps they do behind my back though I wouldn't know.

Is it really a big deal to believe/not to believe in a god?

I mean come on, if I was borned 2000 years ago and started preaching to everybody that an angel appeared in front of me and want me to save humanity by preaching the god's divine messages. 2000 years later, half of the world's population would believe in Kakeroism.
Hey, could be a fun religion

Heh, trust me, you're luck to have not got the abuse to your face. Some of the things people can come out with are pretty damn hurtful. Getting told your whole family is going to hell and your dead grandparents burning there is never a nice thing, even if you don't believe in it.
Then again, I guess those people were a bit extreme. Most people of other religions are actually very accepting of my lack of faith. I know they believe in God, they know I beleive in science, we leave it at that and don't discuss religion.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #54
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I must say, I feel my 5+ rationales and opinions are totally reinforced in the face of "if you don't like the thread stay out" You'll have try harder to persuade me if you would like me to leave.
If you are not interested in actually being receptive of these people's opinions then ignore the thread. This is not a place to be confrontational.

The only reason I'm keeping this thread open for now is because people have been sharing and respectful. I won't tolerate hard debates, and I won't tolerate anyone trolling it to get it locked. I'm not saying you are, but I'm putting the warning out to everyone.

If you really want to take part in this discussion, maybe you could make a post explaining why religion isn't right for you and what are the personal experiences which made you come to that decision. Talk about yourself, not about other people or their belief. It's possible to understand someone's position without agreeing with it but before that can happen they need to explain their personal reasoning.

Remember that you can not convince anyone of your point of view. All you can do is make them understand it, and then try to understand theirs.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #55
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
You'll have try harder to persuade me if you would like me to leave.
*Sigh*

After all this civilised debate, it comes down to crossed wires over something totally non-religious to bring down the tone.

Chewbacca, stop feeling sorry for yourself. Nobody asked you to leave, nobody wants you to leave. No-one has said anything of the sort. You're just trying to convince yourself that we have. Either that or it's a very passive-aggressive way of getting this thread locked down, by causing a fuss over apparent 'insults' that don't exist.

Please, we're having a civilised discussion, don't make it all about you. The point was, if you don't like it, no-ones forcing you to join in.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #56
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
If you are not interested in actually being receptive of these people's opinions then ignore the thread. This is not a place to be confrontational.

The only reason I'm keeping this thread open for now is because people have been sharing and respectful. I won't tolerate hard debates, and I won't tolerate anyone trolling it to get it locked. I'm not saying you are, but I'm putting the warning out to everyone.

If you really want to take part in this discussion, maybe you could make a post explaining why religion isn't right for you and what are the personal experiences which made you come to that decision. Talk about yourself, not about other people or their belief. It's possible to understand someone's position without agreeing with it but before that can happen they need to explain their personal reasoning.

Remember that you can not convince anyone of your point of view. All you can do is make them understand it, and then try to understand theirs.
This is a MUCH more diplomatic response than mine, well done. But you're 100% right.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #57
Chewbacca
Zartan

You guys are the ones breaking the rules, not me.

BTW I haven't asked for any thread to get locked or post deleted or done anything than offer my own opinions and offer rationales to avoid a hurtful topic.

and Thanks for the internet psyco-analyzing. I lol'd.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #58
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

*ahem* Guys, I believe we're getting off the topic here.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #59
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Back on topic guys. I don't want to see any more personal arguments.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #60
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
You guys are the ones breaking the rules, not me.

BTW I haven't asked for any thread to get locked or post deleted or done anything than offer my own opinions and offer rationales to avoid a hurtful topic.

and Thanks for the internet psyco-analyzing. I lol'd.
Right, well I don't want to ruin this thread for the rest of everyone, because this is no doubt going to get it locked.