Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 03:24 AM   #1
Snowking
Dungeon Master

which domain makes the best tank?i think it is the tempus since it gets
weapon focus for axes.however,the problem is that its domain spells aren't
good.so,what do you guys suggest
Snowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:53 AM   #2
Snowking
Dungeon Master

alright,i have two choices in mind now.

the cleric of selune because of its many summon elemantal spells,which i
think is quite powerful.

the cleric of talos because it has many powerful offensive spells.so this
will make this cleric interesting.being a good fighter and a powerful caster.

so,which one should i pick or you guys have better ideas?need your suggestions
thanks.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:25 AM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Whats wrong with tempus domain spells? low level common buffs (bless, prayer, recitation) and high level summonings... all very useful... and the strength increase ability is good as well

[ 06-16-2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 06-16-2003, 07:43 AM   #4
Snowking
Dungeon Master

alright,the tempus has many power word spells.yes i agree that they are
quite useful in normal mode.but as we proceed to heart of fury mode,the
usefulness dropped due to the high con scores of monsters.so i think
that this is the drawback of using the tempus.perhaps i am wrong,what
do you suggest?thanks
Old 06-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

Yes, the Tempus' power word domain spells will stink in HoF mode. But the high level Monster Summoning spells that are the alternate choice to the power word spells are VERY useful.

The choice of "best" cleric is, indeed, very dependent on the role you envision. it can also be dependent on whether you intend of playing HoF mode.

I agree that ML's of Lathander are wonderful offensive spellcasting clerics. However, their fire-based domain spells will not be nearly as potent and useful in HoF mode.

Stunning, "charming", and monster summoning spells are more useful offensive spells in HoF mode than many damaging spells.

Ilmaterians are surprisingly potent in HoF mode.

3 Magic Circle Against Evil
4 Emotion: Hope
5 Holy Power
6 Stoneskin
7 Holy Word
8 Holy Aura
9 Summon Monster IX (Horrid Wilting is a good alternative)

Are all solid HoF choices in HoF mode.

Holy Word and Symbol of Hopelessness are excellent HoF mode spells. Watch out with Holy Word however, since it stuns all non-good characters inside its range. This will (or may) include any non-good party members. (I've been playing 100% good parties of late.) But while Holy Word has this downside, it is also very, very useful in a tight situation because it has a casting time of 1. It also centers on the caster. The combo of HW and SoH is great. Cast HW to stun enemies in close. Cast SoH to stun enemies at range.

Silverstars can be quite nice if you like elementals. I don't really like elemental summoning because I prefer to be able to control most of my summoned monsters. However, sometimes against some of the mobs in HoF, you cannot afford to be picky.

All in all, the "best" cleric is very dependent on your cleric "playing style", normal vs. HoF mode, preference of good vs evil. Lathander and Talos both make good offensive spellcasters. Tempus, Helm, and Talos are good in melee. Banites are good "enchanters". The other clerics are always pretty good all around.

Some clerics' special abilities are more useful than others. I played an Ilmaterian all the way thru normal and HoF and never once used his special ability (never really remembered to do so). The 2 feat points in Axe are great for a Tempus cleric, cuz they are useful and you don't have to remember to use them. The Lathanderian healing touch ability is quite useful. The Banite's "Tyrant's Dictum" ability is useful since so many of their Domain spells are require Will saves. I find Oghma and Mask special abilities to be rather weak.
The Helm abilities are useful, if you remember to use them.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:25 PM   #6
Snowking
Dungeon Master

alright.i have two clerics in my party now.the tempus and lathander.i am thinking of kicking one out and replace it with a druid.right now i am considering to give up the tempus cause lathander is a staple to my party(as a master healer and offensive caster).

so my question is,"is druid a good choice?"i have a feeling that druids in iwd 2 are not powerful.so should i replace my tempus with a druid or any other cleric domains?need your suggestions.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:04 AM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Tempus vs Druid...

Depends on what you're looking for to fill that slot. Well built battleguards of Tempus make really good tanking clerics. Druids are known for their good offensive spellcasting and shapeshifting. Clerics are marginally better healers than druids, due to their getting Heal and mass Heal spells 1 level earlier. However, since you already have a cleric, having a druid as a backup healer won't be a negative.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #8
Malladine
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm definately enjoying my Silverstar Cleric

You're right Magness, those elementals are extremely potent! And receiving an elemental for a domain spell...wow.

I have a question though: what does the Silverstar's Moon Shield inate ability actually do?

On a general cleric side note, gibbing 5-10 undead at once with a single Turn Undead is damn impressive!

[ 06-19-2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Malladine ]
Malladine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

The silverstar's moon shield does grants a +3 bonus to spell resistance for a number of rounds equal to level.

Indeed, blowing up mobs of undead with a good Turn is amusing. However, if you play an HoF mode game, you can forget about the Turn Undead ability. HOF's undead have such high CON rolls that they just shrug off being Turned. You just have to take'em down the old fashioned way.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
Malladine
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm cool with that. Clubbing undead is one of my favourite pastimes [img]smile.gif[/img]
Malladine is offline   Reply With Quote