Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 05-18-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

G'day

I've being playing BG2 soa and tob for over a year solid and it is time to start looking at a new rpg game. I loved bg2 it's the greatist of games but I tried bg1 and hated it, it was to slow and by the time the characters walked from one side of the screen to the other I was asleep [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

So given I hate BG1, what would you reccomend, NWN or icewind dale2 first, or some other game like morrowind? I can't justify buying more than one game, so it will have to keep me going for 4 months or so.

[ 05-18-2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

It's difficult to compare it to BG1 or 2. Just take the test below and find out if NWN is for you.

Q1: There's an official camaign included in the game. Will you buy the game to:[*]just play the OC[*]play the OC in addition to exploring the game's other options[*]not play the OC but do everything else

Q2: There are modules on the internet. Will you:[*]download and play them all[*]download and play the good ones because your internet connection doesn't allow many downloads[*]not download any because they're not a real part of the game

Q3: The game also comes with a toolset. Are you going to:[*]Play with the toolset, then forget about it[*]Dismiss the toolset as an uninteresting addition to the game[*]Create the best modules ever

Q4: Finally, you can play the game in multiplayer mode. Will you:[*]use that a lot[*]try it but give up because your connection doesn't allow much time for playing online[*]not play the game online

Now, look up your score on the table below:
A-> A B C
Q1: 0 2 1
Q2: 2 2 0
Q3: 1 0 3
Q4: 3 1 0

Results are as follows:

0- 4 points:
Don't buy the game

5 - 7 points:
Only buy it if you can't find a better alternative

7 - 10 points:
Buy the game

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:32 PM   #3
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Considering the time I waited for IWD2 (8-10 months after preorder I think), the game wasn't as fun as I'd hope it to be. I'm more of the BG-person myself, so I found IWD2 extremely difficult, and quite often frustrating.

The NWN official campaign is the same, it lacks the stuff to keep hooked. The mods and multiplay make up for it greatly.

NWN is the first transition from hobbits to halflings (the avatars at least), so I'm happy.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Legolas,

Don't forget that in addition to the OC, there will soon be three expansions for NWN. Witch's Wake (already released), Shadows of Undrentide (coming out next month) and Hordes of the Underdark (Just announced).

With all the modules and expansion packs, there is MORE than enough content available to justify the purchase of the game for solo play only as well as offering all of the multiplayer options. Morrowind is solo play only, and although IWD2 is potentially playable in multiplayer, effectively it isn't. Your scoring system weights multiplayer too heavily imho.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Just buy the damn thing, lol. You're talking 15 US dollars on E-bay.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:56 AM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

True Micah, I'll be the first to admit the scoring system is by no means entirely balanced. It's more a parody on the kinds of 'test' and 'quiz' you see in popular magazines than anything else. Still, it will give some indication.

Also, don't forget that to get any modules, you will need decent internet access. To get any expansions, you will have to return to the store and pay more money.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:07 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There is also the NWN gold version coming out, which I suspect includes the Original Campaign AND the first module of the Witchwork series. That is only 29.99$ and it saves a download if that is an issue.

Legolas, you are right about the net connection being an issue for the downloads. I'm fortunate enough that I have access to a VERY high speed download that allows me to download the largest mods (some are over 20 megs in zip form) in virtually NO time. I can then burn a cd and VOILA! Not only can I selectively unpack them but I also have an archived copy that saves me tons of HD storage space.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:34 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Just buy the damn thing, lol. You're talking 15 US dollars on E-bay.
Which equates to 10,000 pacific Island sea shells. And with my morgage and children, one has to be carefull [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And I have no chance of playing online and little chance of playing many mods on my internet conection. so it is the game out of the box as is.

NWN does seem to be getting the nod in favour of IWD (1)

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 06:53 AM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hi Wellard, personal opinion, I'd get the NWN, even if you are just sticking to the OC. IWD2 was disappointing, imho, and even if you just snatched up a couple of Mods, the replay value is cool. There are literally thousands of Mods up for download at Neverwinter Vault, and probably 90% of those rock. And, they are free!!!!!!!
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:04 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well..if you ain't gonna be online or downloading mods to play then I'd actually have to say don't bother.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion IWD1 and IWD2 were a thousand times better than the OC in NWN's....they had to be because that is all they provided.

If you're like most people the OC will bore you to death and if that's all your actually gonna play..it's kinda pointless.

[ 05-25-2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]