Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Every time I right click on an icon (whether it's on the desktop or in a folder), all files, programs and folders automatically close and it crashes to the desktop. This can get veeery annoying. If anyone could shed some light into this matter I would appreciate it. I know that there are a lot of computer knowledgable people in Ironworks so I came here first. Thanks in advance [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Operating system? Patch level? Do you have something set to take place when you right-click? IOW, in Control Panel, Mouse, what's the choice for "Right-click"?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion

Normal settings are applied to the right mouse button.

Patching? Not that I know of... and a Google search doesn't find any. I recently (today) did a Windows Update and downloaded everything - don't know if that counts as patching.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:47 AM   #4
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Hmmm this is getting worse - Using keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+V also does the same thing. This means I can't copy or paste or delete files. Not even if I choose it from the 'Edit' menu. It doesn't happen in browsers though. I'm screwed, I'm screwed, I'm screwed, I'm screwed, I'm screwed....

Edit) Wait... it only happens on some files. I'm not sure what the difference between the files are that do and don't crash to the desktop.

[ 06-01-2004, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Old 06-01-2004, 01:54 AM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Uhhh.... #1 download the bleedin XP updates. ALL of the critical ones.

Use the microsoft Update utility it should be under your start menu. Hunting for them via google will at best give you the same site that the Windows update link will give you.

If you've already gotten all the updates, then perhaps a virus, trojan, or a random script kiddy hack attack?

[ 06-01-2004, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 06-01-2004, 05:26 AM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Sometimes when files are too big, WinXP locks itself up. There's an option to switch that problem off, try searching the forum for a topic of mine concerning a large AVI file (if this is indeed your problem!)
Old 06-01-2004, 05:44 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Run a disk repair, windows XP comes with it (It's like 98's scandisk). You can find it on the properties of Drive C and click on Tools. Schedule a repair for the next time your computer restarts and then shut down the system and restart it.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:45 AM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Oh and make sure you scan for viruses like was suggested. The problem seems more virus-based but disk may never repair itself even if the virus is removed unless you tell xp to repair it.