Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2003, 12:37 AM   #11
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Aussie war experience: Galipoli, and the rest of that WWI Turkish thing...

Canada's : um... Some Wars with the british and indians resulting in more and more territory being handed over to the United States...

Aussie Arsenal: Boomerangs... sheep farms... Kangaroos... Koalas... Steeve Irwin and Crocodile Dundee... and lets just throw in Mel Gibson for flavor...

Canada's arsenal: Royal Canadian Mounted Police in easily-identifiable red coats, whatever they manage to squander across the border from the US... and a slew of Canadian celebrities...

Aussie Sports Enthusiasts: Soccer (football), Rugby (football)

Canadian Sports Enthusiasts: Ice Skating with sticks(Hockey), Ice skating with brooms (curling)

Aussie DJs that I like : Tiesto, Atari Teenage Riot, some members of VNV nation I think

Canadian DJs I like: ... i'll get back to you on that...

Cool movie filmed in Australia: The Matrix . . .

Cool movie filmed in Canada: Due South (which later beccame a TV series, episode 1 was 2 hours long and hence a movie in itself)

Meat Products Popularly Associated with Australia: Steaks from the Outback Steak House

Meat Products Popularly Associated with Canada: Canadian Bacon

Aussie Hello: G'day

Canadian Hello: Bon Juor (spelling on that one?)

More easily spelled hello word goes without contest to "G'day" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Barren and lifeless Territories of Australia: The Outback

Barren and lifeless Territories of Canada: Everything above the north pole

Trademark Natural Landmarks of Australia: Ayers Rock (load that thing into a catapult and you've won the war)

Canadian Natural Landmark: Trees and Moose (these are what would innevitably be crushed by a flying ayers rock)

ALRIGHT and so the winner is:

>_> *rubs chin*

I'm not about to subject favoratism toward either country because I like them both and though all of the above stated facts are in the opinion of just some know-nothign American in Cuba anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 01:28 AM   #12
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Hey Yorick what made you think of this anyway?
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 01-12-2003, 01:59 AM   #13
homer
Manshoon

I suppose a lot would have to do with the kind of war that would be fought. The two countries are rather far away from each other so I think that naval type conflicts would definitely play a part. I do not know which country has a stronger navy; I do not even know if they both have a navy.

I would think that as far as the on land battles go, it would depend on which country did the invading. Even though we do not want to involve the U.S., they do occupy the entire southern border of Canada. There is also that part of Canada that touches Alaska, another U.S. territory. In the least the Australian army would need co-operation from the U.S.

On the other hand if the Canadians were able to land a sizable force on the Australian mainland the Australian army could be hard pressed. Lets face it a country completely surrounded by water is hard to defend. [img]graemlins/rambo.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 02:17 AM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by homer:
I suppose a lot would have to do with the kind of war that would be fought. The two countries are rather far away from each other so I think that naval type conflicts would definitely play a part. I do not know which country has a stronger navy; I do not even know if they both have a navy.

I would think that as far as the on land battles go, it would depend on which country did the invading. Even though we do not want to involve the U.S., they do occupy the entire southern border of Canada. There is also that part of Canada that touches Alaska, another U.S. territory. In the least the Australian army would need co-operation from the U.S.

On the other hand if the Canadians were able to land a sizable force on the Australian mainland the Australian army could be hard pressed. Lets face it a country completely surrounded by water is hard to defend. [img]graemlins/rambo.gif[/img]
Agreed. In WWII the Govt was prepared to concede much of the north. They had a line across the country that would be defended, but that was well below Darwin...

Re. the Navy, Australia has a good Navy - as you'd expect for an island continent. There's a lot of water to patrol.

Does Canada have a Navy?

Canada has 10 million more people though. We have 20 million, Canada has 30 million.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-12-2003, 02:20 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Hey Yorick what made you think of this anyway?
I was on a predominantly Muslim board and one guy asked who would win a war between Germany and Italy. So I thought of a really unusual pairing. Canada and Australia would have to be the least likely 2 nations to fight a war.... but then again, what were Australians doing invading Turkey?

Old 01-12-2003, 02:22 AM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Australia's hot weather, viscous dingos, and coral reefs vs. Canada's cold weather, viscous elks, and deadly waterfalls, hmmm.... I'll say a tie, a stalemate. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Both full of crazys eh Wendy?

Old 01-12-2003, 02:39 AM   #17
homer
Manshoon

Quote:
Re. the Navy, Australia has a good Navy - as you'd expect for an island continent. There's a lot of water to patrol.

Does Canada have a Navy?
If they do not this would be a very short war. With no way to deliver troops to the Australian front and no way to defend their ocean border, the Canadians would fall.

Quote:
Canada has 10 million more people though. We have 20 million, Canada has 30 million.
Is the population of a country usually a factor in the out come of a war? Are you saying that Canada has a better chance because it has a bigger population?
Old 01-12-2003, 03:52 AM   #18
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Would they really declare war on us - sheesh, just because we don't let them win swimming gold medals at the Commonwealth games any more - is that any good reason to throw a major wobbly .
Old 01-12-2003, 06:14 AM   #19
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

~*~*~NEWSFLASH~*~*~
England has just began an attempt to invade Australia for the sole purpose of eliminating the Australian Cricket Team.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:25 AM   #20
dragon_lord
Elminster

Yorick was this a serious question? Ahh well here goes anyway:
Quote:
Originally posted by homer:
If they do not this would be a very short war. With no way to deliver troops to the Australian front and no way to defend their ocean border, the Canadians would fall.
Your right about canada being unable to transport troops and equipment from what i can tell - i cant see that they have any transport ships. I dont agree with the other half though - canada has more frigates/destroyers than australia. But whos doing the attacking anyway? Who every is is at big disadvantage because they must travel half way around the world - long way from supplies etc. Where would be the stagging area be for the attacking side etc? If the australians were attacking and its was a suprise attack - they would only be engaging half the canadian fleet (half is in the pacfic and the other in the Atlantic). The canadians would be unable to use their superior frigate/destroyer numbers. Australia has only one more sub than canada does possibly 2 by now (one is/was being out fitted) so their almost matched there. Assuming no out side intervention australia would probably win the battle of the sea in the pacific in this case. Making an assault on land could be alot tougher (no idea on army size). Australia would probably sail into the nearest sea side city (vancouver etc) and precede to shell/missile/bomb air bases/army barracks. Assuming australia quickly won the navel battle they probably wouldnt have had long to prepare, so those cities would fall quite quickly. From there australia could use those cities air bases to lauch bombing raids on other nearby cities. And begin safely landing troops and equipment. Any supplies from the city could by also used against them in further attacks. Canada would now be cut off from the asia-pacific region and thus will no longer be able to get supplies from there directly. Without knowing army strength who knows what from there. On allies: America probably wouldnt support either side, but that might depend on who they consider a more important ally. What england whould do i have no idea as both contries are part of the commonwealth. I cant see any other contries that could possibly get involved.

Quote:
Is the population of a country usually a factor in the out come of a war? Are you saying that Canada has a better chance because it has a bigger population?
One would assume the larger the population the larger the armed forces. In terms of the navy this isnt totally true in this case though. I have no idea about air force/army, i couldnt find any sites with that kind of info. Any one know of any?

Canada Sources for navy: http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/mspa_fl...eet_home_e.asp
http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/americas/canada.htm

Australia Sources for navy: http://www.navy.gov.au/fleet/fleetmain.html
http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/asiapac/austral.htm
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>