Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2001, 01:19 PM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

mage

most people claim mages to be the best class, being a mage-lover myself, I certainly wouldnt disagree. however, if we refuse the face the reality of it, we will have to live in an abyss which we rightfully deserve.

when come to disucuss what class is the best, there has to be a principle, there has to be a circumstances, and there has to be a limit. The first thing to understand is, Bioware TRIED so hard to make every class equaly fun, and they succeeded in doing it. Are they all balanced? not really

the cicumstances is, BGII. the limit is: 2,950,000 exp

mage's dispel is not as good as cleric. (i am not saying it is not useful, of course you can kick low level asses with it) but while cleric can reach higher levels, mage's dispell will no longer be as effective as cleric. (read the descriptions of dispel. a base of 50% and -10% per level from you target, so if your target is 5 level higher than you, you will have no chance to dispel)

mage has no HP. (heh, you can make up with protections, but a weakness is a weakness)

mage's damaging spells are weak. (that is what contigencies are for, but you wont have too many of them) lets face it, with the incredible magic resistence your enemy has, you can do only little damage to them

mage's lower resistence spell is too weak (only 30% at max level) I say give it a base of 30%, and +1% per level. that sounds more like it

mage's protection against magical weapon's duration is too short, give it 6 rounds+.

most of mages' spells can be reflected by cloack of mirroring. (you know the pain if you duel)

most cloud spells are weak, only incrediant cloud and withed horrid is good. but they take so long to cast that they are nearly useless (no, you can cast on NPCs and kill them, but it still is useless, because a smart AI script would just order the dude move out of the area. taking advantage of AI doesnt mean it is usefull)

time stop/imprison... I would discuss this, but this is getting way too cheap. there is one kind thing that ruin the game, it is something cannot be countered. it is essentially same as cheating. (think about, there is nearly nothing you cannot imprison, one would just run around with a sim carrying 5 imprison scolls and kill everyone)

if a mage got put on a protection from magic scoll, you can consider him dead.

last, mage's stoneskin/mirror image DOES NOT protect against weapons like crom faeyr, flail of agies, wave helber. ANYTHING does extra dmg (like +1 fire, +1 acid) goes through stoneskin/mirror image. (actually, I dont hate this one, this one is reasonable)
Old 03-16-2001, 01:25 PM   #2
Ruhl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This is a little off topic, but here it is anyway. I play mainly tanks, and when I fight mages their protection from magic weapons is a waste. I just carry a regular weapon as a spare, and as soon as I hear "My weapon has no affect" I switch to the backup. Doesn't always work, but often enough to make mage meat outta most baddies.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:28 PM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruhl:
This is a little off topic, but here it is anyway. I play mainly tanks, and when I fight mages their protection from magic weapons is a waste. I just carry a regular weapon as a spare, and as soon as I hear "My weapon has no affect" I switch to the backup. Doesn't always work, but often enough to make mage meat outta most baddies.
most mages have stoneskin. which can held for.... one round or two, lol

Old 03-16-2001, 01:30 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

My comment: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "BEST" CLASS!!

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-16-2001, 01:32 PM   #5
Ruhl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, but dual wielding, with maxed proficiencies and Hasted, you bust through those stoneskins fast enough. Plus I usually have archer types hammerin away while one main tank leads the charge. Stoneskin does give them a chance to get a spell off though. Good point.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:35 PM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

that is not my point, Ruhl, a smart mage can run, which will essentially held longer, but anyway
Old 03-16-2001, 01:44 PM   #7
Firestarter
Elite Waterdeep Guard

so why are you a mage lover?
Old 03-16-2001, 01:47 PM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

SO easy to kill NPCs, and I love to watch mass contigencies pops up, and kills everyone (including my teammates, particularly Korgan)

it is like my mage:" dont stand in my way, you might get hurt." then BOOM!!
Old 03-16-2001, 02:20 PM   #9
Sentinel04
The Magister

250, I agree with. Well, to a point anyway.

My favorite character in BG2 is Edwin. He's a conjurer. He's a fairly high level(15), so he can summon some mean monsters. I've been noticing some of the weeknesses you've mentioned. That's why I think Edwin rocks. He mostly summons stuff, like cacofiends, Djinns and other mean guys. Of couse Edwin still hastes and what not, but that's not his speciality.

Conjurers rock.

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 02:24 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

you agree with me? too bad, you have to die