Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2001, 06:49 AM   #1
Hojou
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm having serious problems with these guys they land some confusion or something on a couple of my chars and then everything breaks up. I get the same problem when fighting mages etc. but normally can take them down fast.

How do you guys deal with that? Any special protection or spells against them?
Old 09-26-2001, 06:54 AM   #2
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you've got it try chaotic commands.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:19 AM   #3
hagimihale
Manshoon

I think the talking sword (Lilacor?) will also give some protection...
Old 09-26-2001, 08:48 AM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

I always try this: I just walk in, say BOO!! and they all run away like a bunch of cowards.. Works everytime !!

No seriously: Mindflayers are irritating little bastards. Their psionic blasts confuses their opponents. You just need to dispel magic, and hack 'em!!

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-26-2001, 12:29 PM   #5
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

They're tough little bastards, aren't they? The fact that they drain Int. instead of hit points means they can kill dumb folks real quick (fighters). Chaotic commands are the best spell for these squidheads. Elementals have good saves, so summon a few of these to keep the umber hulks busy. Umber hulks also seem weak vs. domination.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:19 PM   #6
etherus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah ha! Upon the mighty battles of Umberhulk Hill and the dredging trenches of the Ulathirid Underground, we come upon the mighty Empire of the Illithids. The brain sucking, spell casting donkey asses that can kick a group of less experienced adventurers to the next realm. But ah, I have found salvation! Yes, within my own party, I have found salvation of the best kind. I have my dearest love, the elven cleric/mage, cast some chants and blesses, and let my magic resistance of a monk take care of the rest. While Minsc, the greatest warrior to ever hit Rasheman, comes screaming in with Lilacor (which gives the mindshielding ability) hacking and slashing his way to riches. NO! I mean freedom. Along with the sheer awesome power of the great paladin of Avoreen, Mazzy (who also coincidencily has mind shielding abilities) coming in from the the skies to clear all evil with the edges of her sword. All their base are belong to her. Let the mages and archers sit in the back giving support, and you have yourself the end of the Illithid Empire (mixed in with the Gith revolt and the planar wars). May you change your stars, and the evil's butt meet Minsc's boot. Onwards to the Great Spirit in the Sky!

------------------
The Krazy Communist Ivan
Old 09-26-2001, 02:09 PM   #7
Gavin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The best reply I ever heard on this (and used to deadly effect in their city) was to max out your cleric (Viconia) with summon undead spells (and have her at Skeletal Warrior summoning level), and let the squids suck on those empty skulls.

The other tactic is DO NOT FIGHT THEM IN CLOSE QUARTER COMBAT!!!

Korgan is just great, with boots of speed and some sort of boomerang weapon, at running circles around Mind Flayers while hammering them with shots. The skeletons are good for keeping them occupied. Put the cloak of mirroring on Korgan and power him up with protective spells, and those squids are ded.

Gavin.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:07 PM   #8
Tuor
Elminster

Your best bet is use skeleton warriors to attack them in close combat or use potions of invisibility on two characters, get them to block any doorways between you and the flayers and kill them with archers and or area of effect damnage spells. A bit cheesy but mindflayers are sick in groups.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:28 PM   #9
Haladar
Dungeon Master

If you have a paladin, just give himthe holy avenger, ring of gaxx and kalguns magic resistance and you have 70% magic resistance, then just make sure his saves are pretty low and it will be simple.
My main char is a Cavalier, i did this and i cleared out the intire ilithid dungeon in the underdark on my own without a single reload (i think i only got hit 3 times)

-----------------
Haladar
Mithril Cavalier of ALSB
Guardian Knight at the Holy Temple of Aerie
Old 09-28-2001, 12:30 AM   #10
Alaric
Manshoon

Invisible Stalkers, which can be summoned with the 6th level mage spell by the same name, are also immune to the mind flayer's psionic attacks.