Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2001, 02:48 PM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah yes, a question that many a player faces. Which goody-two-shoe Mage to choose? Many choose Imoen just because she is their sister or because she has better thieving skills, while others choose Nalia, because Nalia tended to have more levels.

In my opinion, Imoen is the better choice if you intend to continue to ToB, while Nalia will be okay in SoA.

Here are the following Pros and Cons.

Nalia
--------

Oooo, shiny ones! Nalia has a nifty family ring thats grants her the following.

+2 to AC and saving throws
50% Fire Resistance

Nalia also has the distinct advantage of having more Xp when you finally rescue Imoen, so Imoen will essentially play second fiddle to Nalia in terms of Mage powers.

However... Nalia is only a level 4 Thief, so her thieving skills are abysmal. Imoen got her beat on this part.

Imoen
--------

She's your sister, if this is your first time through BG2, then the interaction from her is worth it.

See above, Imoen has much better thieving skills than Nalia, since she is a level 7 Thief.

In ToB, Imoen goes through three phases, in the first two, she gains Bhaalspawn powers, like Draw Upon Holy Might, Cure Serious Wounds, etc... ...

During the third phase, she gains +1 to DEX and STR, which is very good, because her thieving skills now become even better, not to mention this means she has 19 DEX.

Wrap-up
--------

In the beginning, Nalia is stronger than Imoen, however, beyond level 20, there is little difference in their Mage powers, and Imoen's thieving skills will shine through instead.

So if you are not planning to advance to ToB, take Nalia, she will be the more powerful one.

However, if you are going to ToB, or if you just want to have your sister, than take Imoen.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old 09-23-2001, 03:32 PM   #2
Tancred
White Dragon

I used both. Gave Imoen all the thieving items I found, gave Nalia all the mage items. In the end, it worked.
Old 09-23-2001, 03:36 PM   #3
Lord Arn Dragonfire
The Magister

Imoen is the 1 u should use
Old 09-27-2001, 01:50 PM   #4
Tyrion
Quintesson

No romance with Nalia?

------------------
"No!" shreiked Tyrion. Though the sword felt heavy as a fallen tree he lifted it. He saw the deamon look up, astonished. He brought down the blade with the awesome majestic power of a falling thunderbolt. The burning blade caught the deamon right in the centre of its forehead. The deamon's head fell apart under the force of the impact. The deamon N'kari sank to its knees, dead.

-Tyrion at the battle of the Blighted Isle.
Right now he is mourning for USA.
Old 09-27-2001, 02:03 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
No romance with Nalia?
For male studs, you have either Aerie, Viconia or Jaheira.

For female lasses, you only have Anomen.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart